Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2020 6:53:16 PM EDT
Used to do a bunch of rewelds back in the day. Ya know, when kits didnt cost three arms & a leg. But I got a hair up my ass to do another one again. Been quarantined with the damn beer virus, so it's not like I've not got plenty of time. Just not much energy.

Managed to snag a fixed stock kit for reasonable.  Even had a few extras, like a nice M70 front stub & really clean M70 barrel. So I may have to got a M70 kit to do later.

But on to it though.

Got the remaining rivets drilled & small parts pulled.

Started laying everything out for my cut & filled in the evil rock & roll hole. As well as the slot for the sear trip. Not really feeling like a felony right now.

Got the dimensions for the mag well set & fit up. Hand files are your friend.

Now I've got to figure out what I'm doing with the rear end of this thing. Just not sure of what its gonna be yet.

Manged to score a factory barrel that passes the bullet test. Hopefully it'll be here before long.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice sir, brings back memories of the good ol days lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool project.  I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice sir, brings back memories of the good ol days lol.
View Quote

I miss the good ole days of kits. A person gots to be dedicated or have an urge to do it these days.  I'll likely get an M70 kit to use this extra front stub & barrel on. Doubt I ever do another reweld after that. Unless I come across a decently priced Rpd. Which I doubt.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Broke out the barrel tools today. These haven't seen much use in recent years. Not for an ak, but I'll make it work. Gots an idea I do.

The cross pin for the rear sight base came out nice & easy. Hopefully I'll get the  barrel stub removed tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel stub is out & some welding has been done. Mag fits right well. New barrel should be her Friday.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Got some more of the jigsaw puzzle done. Just about got all the fiddly bits fit up now. New barrel should be here tomorrow I hope.

If the other side doesn't fit up closer, I wont try filling in the gap. I'll get a whole replacement rear section.  Just not really wanting to spend the money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Tetris puzzle is done & now the real work can get started. Weld everything up. Then it's  grind, file, sand & repeat. The dremel is your friend.
I'd had preferred a tighter fit up between the sections,  but it could be worse.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to learn to weld....

Thanks for sharing!  Cool build. :). I’ll be putting an M64 together later based on a Tortort receiver...should be fun!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Heard plenty of good things about tort receivers.  Looking at one for a different build.

Got bored & got some done.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Got most the outside cleaned up.  The paint is for rust protection, not the final finish.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

That is amazing, Looks gorgeous!  From the original cut receiver to this...I’m very impressed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I wasnt satisfied.  I'd also forgotten that I own a surface grinder.  So I went my buddies shop where my grinder is. Couple hours later  I'm happy. Took off .010 from both sides.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking good, Matt!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looking good, Matt!
View Quote

You know you'll shoot it the next time one of us goes one direction or the other.

Today's progress report. Starting to look like a rifle. New made chrome lined barrel will be here in a few days.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a tortort 80% Yugo UF I had in the EE but had no bites so I put it up on GB. Let me know if youre interested.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Got the rest the parts in today.

New barrel is in & headspaced.  Yes, I used actual go / no go gauges.  Not the  modified round method. Made the extractor cut the hard way. I dont have a mill & didnt wanna wait till Monday to use a friends.  So it was back to the ole dremel and trusty hand files. I measured the depth of the cut of the 3 factory barrels I've got. They range between .030 & .037 of a inch. My cut is .032

Got the trigger guard, grip nut, & lower tang riveted on as well.

I'll work on getting the barrel populated tomorrow.  

No go gauge

Go gauge

Not the prettiest, but it works.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice job.  I wish there were still receiver reweld pieces out there. I would tackle a Yugo RPK for sure. Still am tempted to buy the kit & barrel and let it be a future me problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Matt Yerman (turbothis) of My Guns Northwest sells full rear sections on his website.  Everything from somewhere in the mag well back. Not the cheapest, but he does good work. It's what I'm planning to get for the M70 front stub that came with these M64 parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Matt Yerman (turbothis) of My Guns Northwest sells full rear sections on his website.  Everything from somewhere in the mag well back. Not the cheapest, but he does good work. It's what I'm planning to get for the M70 front stub that came with these M64 parts.
View Quote
You ain't kidding about them not being cheap!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope. But two welds are a whole lot easier than 20 to keep things straight.  I'd have gone that route with this one, but I'm a stubborn obstinate bastard.

Course since I just bent my nice new barrel putting the gas block on, I need the money for yet another barrel. Forgot to lube the damn thing.

Words may have been said.......... and thrown........

I'm much calmer now. I think.........
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nope. But two welds are a whole lot easier than 20 to keep things straight.  I'd have gone that route with this one, but I'm a stubborn obstinate bastard.

Course since I just bent my nice new barrel putting the gas block on, I need the money for yet another barrel. Forgot to lube the damn thing.

Words may have been said.......... and thrown........

I'm much calmer now. I think.........
View Quote
Salvageable for a pistol barrel?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Salvageable for a pistol barrel?
View Quote

Probably.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#23]
So now that we've moved on to barrel #3. Couldn't get #1 to time (factory yugo). Bent barrel #2. Third time is a charm with barrel #3. Thanks to the wonders of modern American machining or just dumb luck. Barrel #2 & 3 headspaced the same. Only had to torque #3 a little bit more to work.

Hand guard retainer cut is done. Gas block is on (I remembered the lube this time). Front sight is on. Just gotta drill the gas port & cross pin the gas block and front sight.  Then it's all cosmetics.

Gonna start putting the Galil together tomorrow hopefully.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang, Matt. I guess that *now* I know why you had mentioned maybe building a Krink style the other day when we talked. I have a handful of barrels at work that i can look at tomorrow and see about, if you'd like?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate drilling gas ports.  So easy to screw up yet another barrel.  

But all is well. It is now a semi auto rifle, instead of a fancy bolt action.  

With its Israeli cousin.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Sheeeet playa playa... fucking awesome work!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn.....you are an artist with the welder!  I salute your skills.

18Z50
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank ya.

Got some stuff coming down the pipe. Wainting on some a couple parts from a uber slow shipping GB seller & a fast one. Gots to pay my membership dues here as well.

So some more here soon. Some is pretty different.  :)
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Bad ass work man, glad to see you cranking out that level of work again.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top