Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2020 1:02:33 PM EDT
I know I should not make uninformed purchases, but this was a one shot opportunity. Elderly neighbor passed away earlier this year and his kids had a yard sale today.

I grabbed a case of 1986 manufacture East German M43 7.62x39. Sealed wooden box of 1480 rds.

Assuming it is corrosive. Can anyone speak to quality or reliability of this particular round. The oldest son said that the ammo is packed into 10rd sealed packets. Apparently the dad had several cases of this and he and his two boys used to burn thru it in a pair of SKS rifles when they were younger.

Negotiated a price of $300. Seemed like a deal but I did use my tractor to do his plowing the last few winters and I know his boys appreciated not having to come over every time it snowed.

Anyhow, is this suitable for my SLR-107?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel core, Berdan, Corrosive, purple sealant, in blister packs.
It's milsurp, so it should go bang every time. No idea on accuracy vs other AK rounds (all my AKs are blasters, so ... ).

There was some EG ammo in the 90s/ early 00s where the steel core projectiles were pulled and reloaded with lead core. If the case is sealed, however, then this would not apply.

If you've shot other corrosive in your SLR, treat the same.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Most steel core ammo sells for $.50 each so it looks like you can make a $440 profit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most steel core ammo sells for $.50 each so it looks like you can make a $440 profit.
View Quote

You have to be kidding.

Guess I'll put this case aside for the time being and see about getting a batch of regular ball ammo. I am starting my first AK project rifle and just got the last parts I needed fresh from the Ukraine. Have an entire week free and am planning to have the refresh of my 2005 SLR-107 completed this week.

What is the current availability of 7.62x39 like? I know high quality 9mm and 5.56 is virtually unavailable here in Virginia. I have some golden tiger that I was saving for a rainy day, but it sounds as though the East German ammo now falls into that category too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to be kidding.

Guess I'll put this case aside for the time being and see about getting a batch of regular ball ammo. I am starting my first AK project rifle and just got the last parts I needed fresh from the Ukraine. Have an entire week free and am planning to have the refresh of my 2005 SLR-107 completed this week.

What is the current availability of 7.62x39 like? I know high quality 9mm and 5.56 is virtually unavailable here in Virginia. I have some golden tiger that I was saving for a rainy day, but it sounds as though the East German ammo now falls into that category too.
View Quote

X39 is available online for 28-29 cpr. I would definitely stash the EG stuff.

ETA, I would definitely call that a score
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Stash the EG for now and grab some Golden Tiger from SGAmmo to shoot
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you post a picture of the crate markings?

East German 7.62x39mm would be at the top of my list for go-to SHTF ammunition.

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, save that EG ammo. I had a 1360 rd case of it in the early '90s - it was put up in 20-rd boxes. I was just getting started and had a Ruger Mini-30. I found out the ammo was corrosive so I opened the case and sold it by the box at the gun show. One guy came by and said 'The E. Germans did not make corrosive ammo' but I never believed that. AFAIK all military 7.62x39 from WWII on was corrosive.
Apparently 7.62x39 has not been affected much by the ammo shortage - their must be tons of it available, so go shoot some Golden Tiger.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top