AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2023 12:14:05 PM EDT
I'm feeling frisky, am I going to die?

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Have I ? Yeah is it a good idea to shoot set back bullets? No
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a good idea, because of the stakes, not the odds.

Best scenario, the flash of the primer pushes the bullet where it is supposed to be.

Worst scenario, reduced case volume results in higher pressures.

I wouldn’t do it, but you will most likely survive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Would I risk ruining a $900 dollar rifle to avoid wasting a 40 cent bullet? No, I would not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would I risk ruining a $900 dollar rifle to avoid wasting a 40 cent bullet? No, I would not.
View Quote

Well when you put it like that...
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If there’s a lot of them and you already reload -You could use a kinetic bullet puller to pop up the projectile. You could easily then reset it an crimp it with a crimping die.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I would shoot that without hesitation. IMHO, the whole "bullet setback will turn a cartridge into a grenade" thinking is greatly exaggerated. In some situations, with certain calibers and certain powders, you could have a situation where high pressure occurs. With the 7.62x39mm not being a high pressure cartridge or using a fast burning powder, the chances of dangerously high pressure occurring due to setback is pretty low.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI I shot those and didn't die
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you didn’t die!

When I opened this thread, I was expecting some well rusted cases. I’ve always been amazed what an AK will chew up!

I would have used a kinetic bullet puller for the rounds to get them closer to the correct overall length. There likely would have been enough tension with the case and projectile to hold them until fired.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top