Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2020 1:58:54 PM EDT
I looked through the existing threads and didn't see this covered or I'm blind.

how do you secure your AK when working on it at a bench?

For the AR i use the magazine vise block but having a hell of a time finding one in stock for the AK through the main vendors.

is there another option or do i have to go to a vendor off the beaten path?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
padded vise blocks
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Old FUBARed magazine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I put my foot on it and whack it (the AK) with a ball peen hammer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Old FUBARed magazine.
View Quote

^^^
Just watched a Youtube where a guy does exactly this.

Now, I don't have a FUBAR magazine, but an inexpensive metal one might have to become sacrificial.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Receivers are squared up.  Clamp it in soft jaw vise.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a collection of old mags for my guns....i would gut them then insert a sized block of wood so the mag would not have to be crushed more each time you used them . Be advised that for heavy work you may need a specific gun vice
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrap a few towels around my AK and put in in my vise. If I want to take my buttstock off and used some painters tape to secure the towels to the buttstock and then use a rubber mallet to help take my buttstock off.  I don't overtighten the vise either.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a vice block that fits in the mag well, but would not hesitate to use a cheap magazine as a sacrificial lamb.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
never had a broken ak that needed a vice. they work pretty well if you dont bubba them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sloporsche] [#11]
Originally Posted By Madmartagain:
never had a broken ak that needed a vice. they work pretty well if you dont bubba them.
View Quote

True that but what is convenient about securing in a vise is [for me anyway] is a freed up second hand. Next is that it lessens the chance of any type of lube to get on the furniture from my fingers . I would not recommend a 4 inch vise that is held to a bench with a C  clamp,i have a 6 inch 50 years old auto shop vise that you could clamp an engine block to .
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tony6171991] [#12]
They have the AK47 Grade C magazines Apex Gun Parts. That would make a good sacrificial magazine.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/special-mixed-european-30rd-ak-project-magazines-7-62x39-as-is.html

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Old FUBARed magazine.
View Quote

That's brilliant
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I really don't think there is one universal tool for securing an AK ...the old mag works great for some light duty jobs if you remember the gun was designed to hold the mag not the other way around. I have seen gun vices at LGS and they seem to work,some jobs i secure the front and rear of a gun with 2 vices [one vice is bench mounted] . Other jobs wood chocks to level it sitting on machinist blocks so i can drive a pin, i have spent 20 minutes or so securing/supporting a gun to drive a pin out in 30 seconds.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top