Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2022 2:06:21 PM EDT
Hi all,
Looking to add a sling attachment point to my wood Saiga stock. I found this, GG&G Universal Quick Detach Screw-On Sling Attachment

Attachment Attached File

HOWEVER, they no longer make them. Any suggestion where to find or an alternative?

Thanks,
Hep

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
GROVTECH Push Button Bases.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't you take any mlok qd and swap the hardware for wood screws? Or too ghetto?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couldn't you take any mlok qd and swap the hardware for wood screws? Or too ghetto?
View Quote

Thought about that. I just want to be 100% that what I end up with is 100% solid and won't pop off with use. I'm even considering the standard AK sling loop:
Attachment Attached File

...but I'd prefer it to swivel so the rotation takes the stress off of the mount.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
MI looks good.

Or you can just buy one of these MOE Style QD Mounts and use proper screws.

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-MAG528-BLK-Sling-Attachment-Black/dp/B00MNO5SP8
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

If you went with the Mlok version you would need to grind off the recoil lugs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Though I think the MI is close to the GG&G that's no longer produced and is perfect, I couldn't pull the trigger on buying one. Off of the MI site it runs about $50 with shipping. I'm having trouble shelling that out for it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also just buy a socket like the Magpul Sling Mount Kit Type 1 (MAG333), drill a hole and attach with a screw and some epoxy.  I did that with a Marlin .22 I had for a while (when they were still inexpensive I used to buy Marlins to tinker with them then give them away or trade them off).  I like the old HK and CETME inset sling loops as well but they've gotten a lot harder to find and expensive if you do (they used to be like $5/each off demilled stocks).  
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You could also just buy a socket like the Magpul Sling Mount Kit Type 1 (MAG333), drill a hole and attach with a screw and some epoxy.  I did that with a Marlin .22 I had for a while (when they were still inexpensive I used to buy Marlins to tinker with them then give them away or trade them off).  I like the old HK and CETME inset sling loops as well but they've gotten a lot harder to find and expensive if you do (they used to be like $5/each off demilled stocks).  
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked into the cups but don't like the idea of using epoxy to help keep it in place. I found a few companies who have cups that ONLY use epoxy. Suffice it to say, users commented that they had them pop out with use.

So basically with the Magpul Sling Mount Kit Type 1 a wood stock user would need to use a wood screw in addition to epoxy. Curious if anyone has tried that.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's been some years since I did that project but going from memory, I just took the socket, with a QR sling mount in it, to Home Depot or Lowe's and found a wood screw that would still allow the sling piece to still pivot (I don't recall which type).  

Drill a pilot hole using the bit for the screw then drill the hole for the socket.  Put just a little epoxy in the screw pilot hole (not too much as you don't want it coming up through the screw hole in the mount), wipe a little inside the socket hole walls then stick something in the screw hole in the socket (so epoxy doesn't get squeezed into it) and push the socket into place.  Pull the stick out and screw in your wood screw making sure you don't get epoxy inside the swivel cup.  If you do, some acetone on a Q tip should get it out.  Allow to cure and you should be able to hang from it without it popping out.  Alternately you could inlet the stock for one of the other QR type mounts but that's more work; with the wood screw and epoxy I don't think the single screw cup style it's going anywhere.  

<--- Not a gunsmith or machinist and my woodworking is more like a beaver that needs braces but I do enjoy tinkering with inexpensive guns.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top