Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/2/2021 8:19:26 PM EDT
Anyone have a preference? I know that with the 5.56 people seem to prefer one over the other but how about with the X39?

I'm talking the plain mil-spec FMJ in 123, 124gr varieties.

Maybe list, in your opinion, the best to worst. Also include any other like Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, etc. Is there a brand to avoid?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death over the years but I've been away from this caliber and I'm curious.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Barnaul.. Brown Bear specifically of those three. Vympel if it is a choice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried barnaul
I prefer the Wolf polyformance stuff
tula next
all the different bear ammo I thought was really dirty but I only picked up a few once when they had them and they were cheaper than tula.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Golden Tiger
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Lacquered wolf mil spec
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had great luck with Colored Animal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
In this order my preference is….

•“Mil spec”, w sealed necks and primers lacquer; Barnaul (wolf military classic) or Vympel (GT).
•Barnaul lacquer; brown bear Barnaul brand
•Barnaul poly (wolf MC or polyformance)
•Tula poly either Tula or Wolf marketed.

But to be honest, if I am just shooting, it doesn’t really matter.   I feel a little better storing the lacquer stuff.

Tula is a little dirtier.  Barnaul mil spec leaves more sealer residue in the action and Barnaul, in general, has quite a bit more muzzle flash.

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf Military "Classic" has been a solid performer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf doesnt make ammo.  They are rebanded tolammo and barnaul.  Open a box of wolf and check the headstamps.

For me, the barnaul stuff seems to group well in my AKs.  The tulammo stuff goes bang most of the time and makes acceptable groups for the range.  These days, you cant really be too picky.  Back when everything was 18cents a round, you could wait around for some barnaul manufactured stuff to show up and buy it.  These days, you just get what you can if you see a deal.

IIRC, 122gr = tulammo.  No matter if it says tulammo, wolf, or red army on the box.  And 123gr are barnaul.

I have some wolf polyformance 123gr and hollow point 124gr and those group really well in most of my guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the stuff that Academy sells. I don't know what it's called but it used to come in the little blue boxes. Now nthey sell them in the 520 or 540 round tins.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the stuff that Academy sells. I don't know what it's called but it used to come in the little blue boxes. Now nthey sell them in the 520 or 540 round tins.
View Quote

Academy's house brand is monarch.  It should be like the other re-brandings.  I bet your monarch 123gr stuff has the same headstamp as the wolf 123gr stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Do any of those contain non-magnetic bullets?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Golden Tiger.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rule of thumb is magnetic.  Sometimes, or normal times, SG ammo sells Wolf mil spec (Barnaul) and I believe Tula w non magnetic bullets for a slight premium
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, the Russian thing is "Bi-Metallic Jackets" (AKA Magnet gonna' stick)...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The rule of thumb is magnetic.  Sometimes, or normal times, SG ammo sells Wolf mil spec (Barnaul) and I believe Tula w non magnetic bullets for a slight premium
View Quote

My OCD has me seeking out non magnetic, copper jacketed bullets but now days, EVERYTHING is scarce and expensive. Except for the corrosive Yugo stuff. I've seen the ammo you mention but it's all sold out and if it ever comes back in stock, it will be too expensive for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My OCD has me seeking out non magnetic, copper jacketed bullets but now days, EVERYTHING is scarce and expensive. Except for the corrosive Yugo stuff. I've seen the ammo you mention but it's all sold out and if it ever comes back in stock, it will be too expensive for me.
View Quote

Yep.  Generally I am pretty picky myself and now is not the time for that for sure.   SG Ammo also sells Yugo commercial, non-corrosive, berdan primed brass case ammo that doesn't attract a magnet.  While I have never used it it does show up from time to time.  It is expensive.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup. I saw that for $699 a case of 1000. I was tempted but only for a second.

I started shooting AK's in the 80's with Chinese ammo that came 20 rounds wrapped in paper. Corrosive! Then I moved up to Yugo commercial ammo made by Hansen. Anyone remember Hansen brand in the late 80's before the Yugo conflicts? Good ammo and I suspect they turned into or merged with PPU.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I started shooting AK's in the 80's with Chinese ammo that came 20 rounds wrapped in paper. Corrosive! Then I moved up to Yugo commercial ammo made by Hansen. Anyone remember Hansen brand in the late 80's before the Yugo conflicts? Good ammo and I suspect they turned into or merged with PPU.
View Quote

I used to shoot Hansen in my Mausers, 6.5x55 and 8x57.  I still have some of the 8mm in ammo cans.  I always assumed that Hansen was the American importer who purchased the PPU ammo.  Still goes bang 20 + years later...

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, looking back 30 years, I seem to remember Hansen as being made by Igman, not PPU.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IIRC, looking back 30 years, I seem to remember Hansen as being made by Igman, not PPU.
View Quote

I remember, on 8mm at least, some that were marked "nny" while others were marked "ik".    Was or is "ik" Igman?    
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I dont know. I'm just surprised and happy that someone else remembers Hansen Ammo. I only know that the Hansen branded X39 ammo that I was buying in the 80's was made in Yugoslavia. It's also possible that Hansen was just the importer/marketer like Wolf that sells ammo made all over the world.

I have Yugo ammo with "IK-85 SIEC 7.62X39" on the headstamp. Now I'm not sure if it's Hansen or something else. Some other boxes say 7.62X39, M67 - Non Corrosive Hansen Cartridge Company, Southport Conn. Made in Yugoslavia".
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I remember, on 8mm at least, some that were marked "nny" while others were marked "ik".    Was or is "ik" Igman?    
View Quote

Yes. The "nny" was Yugo made under Hansen brand and "IK" was Igman manufacture but not sure if it also came in under Hansen brand. Both from different parts of Yugoslavia I believe (Ingman from Bosnia-Herz. vs PPU from Serbia). This was all before they used up all the ammo on each other
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot the shit out of Hansen .303 back in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Barnaul.
As mentioned above, Wolf is an importer. If it’s lacquered, it’s probably Barnaul.

For me, Barnaul seems to be more consistently loaded vs Tula.

Nothing wrong with Tula but I’ll pay a few more pennies a round for Barnaul, especially if it’s lacquered.

I do like Tulsa’s 154 gr. loads though, but for putting holes in paper, Barnaul in 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 6.5 Grendel is my preference.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Barnaul.
As mentioned above, Wolf is an importer. If it’s lacquered, it’s probably Barnaul.

For me, Barnaul seems to be more consistently loaded vs Tula.

Nothing wrong with Tula but I’ll pay a few more pennies a round for Barnaul, especially if it’s lacquered.

I do like Tulsa’s 154 gr. loads though, but for putting holes in paper, Barnaul in 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 6.5 Grendel is my preference.
View Quote

It seems that most everyone agrees that Barnaul is GTG.

Any opinions on Vympel (sp?). It appears similar to Barnaul with the lacquered case except purple sealant. I believe Maxxtech is importing/distributing ammo under their brand but it looks to be made by Vympel in Russia.

Oh and Chinese ammo? One reason I got back into the AK is my small stash of Chinese ammo, mostly in yellow boxes that say "non-corrosive, lead core". I bought it back in the early 90's before the Clinton ban with "92 351" headstamps. The Chinese stuff always shot good for me but I've never had a chance to compare it with the Russian choices. Back when I was shooting X39 all we had was Chinese.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Best to worst
Vympel
Barnaul
Tula

Wolf is an importer, so crap shoot on where it comes from. Same for RedArmy.
All Tula is poly coated, Vympel is lacquered and Barnaul seems to come either way.

My rule of thumb if I don’t know the source is lacquered beats poly and bonus points if the primer & neck are sealed.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Ulynovsk is My favorite
Everything else in the middle is equal with tula, wolf, monarch, etc.

Last choice would be Gold Tiger.
Quite a few more duds that don't go bang. Bad primers i am guessing that don't go bang in AK's or x39 AR's even with 2 or 3 primer strikes
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
IMHO, from best to worst goes
Ulyanovsk
Klimovsk
Vympel
Barnaul
Tula
As others have said sealed necks and primers are best, lacquer > polymer coated, and Tula sucks
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#30]
From personal experience with 7.62 and 5.45:

Barnaul, Uly, and Vympel = tie

Then Klimovsk and Tula.

But in all reality they are all not that far apart in quality. These manufacturers (except Vympel) have been making ammunition for over 70 years. Their surplus and new production have been in the US since the early 1990s. That is a long span of year-to-year variations in production. Some lots/years are going to be better or worse than others.

Out of all the Soviet/Russian ammunition I've fired over the years, I've only had two dud primers. Both were from a 1993 dated, sealed can of 7.62x39mm from Ulyanovsk. I'm not going to bash Ulyanovsk ammunition unilaterally  just because of that. Likewise, I've never had issues with Tula that everyone bashes but I'm not going to declare it the best.

My only deciding issue with any Russian ammunition is case finish. The zinc plated and poly-coated finishes are not durable enough in my experience. They do not protect against moisture as well as lacquer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I place Tula as last simply because it has caused me the most issues, and by most issues I got a 1000rd case of 55gr 223 with 3 split case necks (which I shot anyway) and 1 dud primer, all shot in a wasr 3 with no issues igniting hard  military primers. I also once has a ploy coated Tula case with some surface rust on it from the factory in 762x39, I shot that one too, no issues. I concur that all the manufacturers are very comparable, although Tula seems to be the dirtiest IME. For me its primarily the coating, I would buy lacquered and neck sealed Tula over poly coated Uly
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#33]
SGAmmo was the main source for the GT. Been out for a while.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IIRC, 122gr = tulammo.  No matter if it says tulammo, wolf, or red army on the box.  And 123gr are barnaul.
View Quote

Can anyone confirm that all Wolf PolyFormance 123gr is manufactured by Barnaul?  No one seems to mention the manufacturing company in descriptions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Maxxtech is on gunbroker 389$ for a k. It’s rebadged golden tiger
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Maxxtech is on gunbroker 389$ for a k. It’s rebadged golden tiger
View Quote

I’m only seeing $529/1000...Link?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When was the last time that 762 x 39 Golden Tiger ammo was offered for sale ? I do not see anything from them listed on Ammo Seek and know this is a popular brand .
View Quote
I bought a case from SG last year right after 5.56 went up in price but while 7.62x49 was still < 300/k.

I've seen it on their site once or twice since then.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I've never had function problems with any of the three.  All good enough for the ak.  If you're just plinking, all three should be fine.
Also, the whole "corrosive ammo" thing is overrated.  If you clean your guns after every use, its not a problem.  Even if you let it sit for a day or two, the tiny bit of corrosion you would get will come right off when you clean the bore.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wolf doesnt make ammo.  They are rebanded tolammo and barnaul.  Open a box of wolf and check the headstamps.

For me, the barnaul stuff seems to group well in my AKs.  The tulammo stuff goes bang most of the time and makes acceptable groups for the range.  These days, you cant really be too picky.  Back when everything was 18cents a round, you could wait around for some barnaul manufactured stuff to show up and buy it.  These days, you just get what you can if you see a deal.

I have some wolf polyformance 123gr and hollow point 124gr and those group really well in most of my guns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’m only seeing $529/1000...Link?
View Quote

@smitty_007

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902001791
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Golden Tiger
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@smitty_007

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902001791
View Quote

Sweet, thank you!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top