Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 7:43:52 PM EDT
I've recently moved to the US and I'm starting off a collection of post-war military rifles. Obviously, I need a few AKs. It's a bit of a minefield, so I'd appreciate some help. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. The closest thing to a 'type 3' Russian AK (milled), wood stock, no optics rail
2. The closest thing to a Russian AKM (stamped), wood stock, no optics rail
3. The closest thing to a Russian AKS or AKMS (milled or stamped), under-folder, no optics rail
4. The closest thing to a Russian AK-74, wood stock, no optics rail
5. The closest thing to a Russian AK-74M, synthetic folding stock, optics rail

My preference for #1-3 is pre-ban guns. I'm thinking that the Maadi will fill slot #2, but I'm not so sure about #1 or #3. For slots #4-5, I'd be open to guns built on US receivers (but only those assembled by highly reputable manufacturers) or imported guns (but only if I can use foreign furniture and mags).

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've recently moved to the US and I'm starting off a collection of post-war military rifles. Obviously, I need a few AKs. It's a bit of a minefield, so I'd appreciate some help. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. The closest thing to a 'type 3' Russian AK (milled), wood stock, no optics rail
3. The closest thing to a Russian AKS or AKMS (milled or stamped), under-folder, no optics rail

My preference for #1-3 is pre-ban guns. I'm thinking that the Maadi will fill slot #2, but I'm not so sure about #1 or #3. For slots #4-5, I'd be open to guns built on US receivers (but only those assembled by highly reputable manufacturers) or imported guns (but only if I can use foreign furniture and mags).

View Quote

4: SLR105 fixed stock. These are rare but really good guns. You may have to remove the optics rail
5: SGL31-84 or 31-94

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
#2 Original Soviet AKM kits can still be found and built on new receivers.  Off the shelf, I’m not seeing much currently made without an optics rail.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link

Arsenal brand  AK would be my pick they will be more expensive than others but seem to be well built.  

PSA   AK-V 9mm pistol versions with brace look fun. Link

Cool stuff is more costly and harder to come by right now and ammo is often harder to find. If democrats were to win next election they are strongly pushing semi auto ban and high cap mag ban. So the question is do you limit your exposure or go all in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Polish Milled 1960 for the Type 3 clone. There are usually a few for sale on GunBroker.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
#1 - Arsenal SA93. Find one with swapped FSB and gas block or have one converted

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Like you mentioned, OP, the Steyr imported Maadi would probably fit the bill for #2

The one on the right, it’s the fourth (and currently the only) one I own. Nice rifle.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will reference commercially produced rifles, mostly available now on the secondary market

1. AK-47 Type 3: Arsenal SA-M7 Classic, Polytech Legend
2. AKM: Steyr Egyptian Maadi
3. AKMS: Kassnar Hungarian FEG 85M
4. AK74: Arsenal SLR-105
5. AK-74M: Arsenal SGL 31-94

Other types:

6. AKS-74: Arsenal SLR 104F (no rail) or Arsenal SLR 104FR (rail) - this is a perfect clone of the Russian occupied Afghanistan during the Rambo years
7. AKS-74U: Arsenal SLR 104UR - Gun used by Onotop (Golden Eye), also used in many combloc conflicts (also the Bin Laden gun)

Attaining just a few of these is just the beginning. You'll realize that there are so many variations and legit countries that make them - it's like Pokemons.

Finland - Valmets (many variants, several calibers)
Israel - Galils (many variants, several calibers)
Romanian - PSL, Dracos, SAR 1/2/3, Romy G kits, WASR, etc. etc.
Serbia (formerly Yugoslavia) - too many to count
Bulgaria - SA series, SLR series
Egypt - Maadi
Iraq - Tabuk (Two River Arms)
China - too many to count

I'm sure im missing a few. Then you start collecting kits and then you start tracking years of production and variants of each and differences between those variants. It's endless.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top