Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2021 10:06:25 PM EDT
I'd like to do a proper conversion of my 762x39 saiga. I'm not really into the ak world so I dont know *exactly* what I need because there's so many different variations of everything, but I'm pretty sure I need a
- bulgarian ak74 90* gas block
- bulgarian ak74 fsb 24mm
- 24mm brake
- a proper lower handguard retainer
- New trigger guard/mag release
- the correct folding rear trunion
- proper rear sight leaf

If anyone could help me out with finding the correct parts to do this I would be much obliged.

If I'm not mistaken, these parts would turn my saiga into an ak103 configuration, right? Since I already have an sgl21, I'm not completely opposed to turning this thing into an ak104 either, but again, I've no idea what parts I need to do that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I got all my stuff from kvar or akfiles but this was years ago. Times are tough on all black rifles.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd like to do a proper conversion of my 762x39 saiga. I'm not really into the ak world so I dont know *exactly* what I need because there's so many different variations of everything, but I'm pretty sure I need a
- bulgarian ak74 90* gas block
- bulgarian ak74 fsb 24mm
- 24mm brake
- a proper lower handguard retainer
- New trigger guard/mag release
- the correct folding rear trunion
- proper rear sight leaf

If anyone could help me out with finding the correct parts to do this I would be much obliged.

If I'm not mistaken, these parts would turn my saiga into an ak103 configuration, right? Since I already have an sgl21, I'm not completely opposed to turning this thing into an ak104 either, but again, I've no idea what parts I need to do that.
View Quote

If you want to do a proper conversion then you need Russian parts, not Bulgarian, they are not identical.
Places like Soviet Stocks, Russian Surplus, Kalash Stash, etc have various parts come in and out of stock. However, this is probably the worst time ever to want to do a Russian AK clone, the market is crazy, parts are really expensive, and Russia has been cracking down on exporters.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to do a proper conversion then you need Russian parts, not Bulgarian, they are not identical.
Places like Soviet Stocks, Russian Surplus, Kalash Stash, etc have various parts come in and out of stock. However, this is probably the worst time ever to want to do a Russian AK clone, the market is crazy, parts are really expensive, and Russia has been cracking down on exporters.
View Quote

From what I can gather reading old threads off Google, the Russian parts dont fit properly on the saigas, whereas the bulgarian stuff does. This whole "fix the ak" thing is giving me a headache. Im ready to forget about it in the back of the safe for another 10 years
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I can gather reading old threads off Google, the Russian parts dont fit properly on the saigas, whereas the bulgarian stuff does. This whole "fix the ak" thing is giving me a headache. Im ready to forget about it in the back of the safe for another 10 years
View Quote

The ID on the Bulgarian and Russian fsb and gb are the same, the Russian parts will fit. AFAIK, the only odd balls in regards to that is some of the very early .223 Saiga imports had thicker barrels.
I just converted a .223 Saiga and was originally going to do an AK-101 clone, but the parts are just too expensive in my opinion, so I ended up just converting the rear end and swapping on a US made 24mm fsb. Just using it as a 2 gun shooter rather than a clone, not nearly as expensive and still every bit as fun.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top