Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 1:45:52 PM EDT
I think the title speaks for itself.  So does anyone know what's going on and if they are coming back anytime soon?  I know about the AK 12 kits, but they are prohibitively expensive.  Thank you all for your input.

Okie
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think the title speaks for itself.  So does anyone know what's going on and if they are coming back anytime soon?  I know about the AK 12 kits, but they are prohibitively expensive.  Thank you all for your input.

Okie
View Quote
74 kits are also expensive expect to start at $1k for a complete kit with OG barrel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
There's one on gun broker broker for like 800 right now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The former Cold War (over 30 years ago) Warsaw Pact nations are making AK74s and cutting them up as fast as possible to satiate the American AK builders market.   Be patient.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The former Cold War (over 30 years ago) Warsaw Pact nations are making AK74s and cutting them up as fast as possible to satiate the American AK builders market.   Be patient.
View Quote
More details please

@lumpy196
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More details please

@lumpy196
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More details please

@lumpy196
I'm fairly certain he was being facetious.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More details please

@lumpy196
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Many are sitting in attics, bought long ago to assemble at some time in the future with good intentions. I got my Russian Izzy back in 2010.

A Bulgy kit I got from Ohio Rapid Fire was completed in my garage tong ago...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Many are sitting in attics, bought long ago to assemble at some time in the future with good intentions. I got my Russian Izzy back in 2010.

https://i.imgur.com/VzoAoGK.jpg
View Quote
man that looks good.

I have a bulgy 74 kit with a triangle folder on it that has been a great gun. I never shoot it though.

I'm thinking of making my tantal in to a black synthetic fixed stock build. Boy I like that wood.  Too bad the upper handguard for a tantal can't be replaced with wood easily
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/VzoAoGK.jpg
View Quote
That is HOT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I am going to eventually take off that plum us made stuff I got from Kvar years ago and go OG wood on that thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
A few pop up now and then if you look hard enough.

I bought a few mint Bulgy side folders from Wolfsburg bob back in the day. Wish I had bought more of those kits and mags from the Chief.

I have one mint bulgy left.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Reciever

It's a start?...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up this Bulgarian kit back in the day. Sadly, it is built on a Vulcan receiver. Back then, there weren’t a lot of options and they actually weren’t that bad. I don’t ever shoot it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought two around 2011-2012, they were $120 ea. I wanted one just for the parts to convert a Saiga and thought what the hell, buy two. Should've bought four.

Managed to convert the Saiga, build one of the kits out, and still had enough core parts left over to piece together a second upcoming build with some WBP parts thrown in.

Bigger loss was the surplus furniture.. APEX had Bulgarian wood for $20 and plum for $50. I had bought a few of each before I even picked up the kits. The Bulgarian wood sets smell great, I have no idea what's in/on them but to this day mine still smell awesome. Sort of a lemony oil smell, not cosmoline but probably something similar.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Not even worth it unless you stacked deep years back. I have a 74 receiver I can’t do anything with. Wonder if 5.56 is doable as a mutt build.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not even worth it unless you stacked deep years back. I have a 74 receiver I can’t do anything with. Wonder if 5.56 is doable as a mutt build.
View Quote
Yes, only mods needed for 5.56 are a 5.56 AK-74 barrel (AK Builder nitride 4150), mags (I use Polish Beryl), and a small modification to the extractor to increase the pivot range into the bolt face and allow it to grab onto the rim tighter. AK-74 receiver will work unmodified, so will bullet guide, etc.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn.. I had no idea Bulg 74 kits had gone up so much,still have a couple of the K-Var original barrel kits from back in the day stashed away.
guess I need to decide if I'm going to build or sell
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn.. I had no idea Bulg 74 kits had gone up so much,still have a couple of the K-Var original barrel kits from back in the day stashed away.
View Quote
Exactly. I’m tempted to disassemble mine and sell it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Worth more built. Prices are crazy.

Rguns has unissued Soviet Russian 1988 plum AK74 kits (less barrel) for $950

Doubt you can find them elsewhere or cheaper any time later. Especially for real Russian.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should sell me one at 2005 prices for the good karma and so I can have a full size 74 again...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I appreciate the input guys.  I already have a couple 74s.  One of them is a Bulgarian AKS-74 with the metal triangle stock with the original chrome lined barrel I bought in 2010.  I recently picked up another Bulgarian sidefolder with a 14.5 inch nitride barrel and pinned muzzlebrake though and was shocked at the price increase.  If not for the fact that I stacked this caliber deep some time ago, I would consider selling off and going straight 7.62.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top