Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/7/2019 5:29:02 PM EDT
Hey, so I just got a good deal on an SLR95 and I plan to deban it.

I am familiar with adding the lower tang so I can use a correct milled butt stock.

What I am wondering is how best to handle the front end. From what I read normal milled barrel parts dont work because it has an AKM barrel profile. AKM parts wont work because of the 90 degree gas block.

I read somewhere AK74 barrel parts will fit and would be correct as Arsenal makes a milled 7.62x39 military rifle with AK74 barrel parts.

So, what do yall think the best way to handle the front end would be?

-Re barrel with a proper milled AK47 barrel if I could find one at a decent price.

-have AK74 gas block and front sight base/brake installed.

-AKM front sight base, thread barrel.

I am already going to send it off for the lower tang instal, so the barrel work can be done at the same time.

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4thPointOfContact] [#1]
Is it the standard muzzle break that's a concern?

If not, just keep the forend as it is, but update the buttstock with a Bulgarian plastic one?
(At least that's what I did, as well as adding a Pic mount on the barrel).
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I am planning to go with wood furniture. I want to install the cleaning rod and be able to attach a bayonet. Since it is milled I wanted AK47 pattern parts, but the barrel is too skinny so I think it either takes AKM or AK74 parts. AKM wont work right I dont think because it has a 90 degree gas block
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Just cut to the chase and order the wood from Ironwood.

He makes wood from Finish or Russian birch laminate and makes wood specifically for the SLR 95/96.
If you want it finished, for an extra charge he does an authentic Russian Red finish.
He can also tell you specifically what type of wood will fit the SLR so you can buy it elsewhere.
Just note that he's a busy one-man shop so he may be slow to respond to email or answer phone calls.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:47:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Iwantfullauto] [#4]
Thanks, furniture is not the problem, I am planning on going with an original set so I will need the lower tang. I normally try to deban my AKs as close to correct as a preban configuration as possible without going full retard.

On a few maks I have sourced polish blued front sights, and gas blocks. Even scored a spiker fsb.

For the slr95 I messed up when I bought it thinking I could make a milled AK47 pattern clone only to find out it wont work because the barrel is AKM or AK74 profile, also has 90 degree gas block.

I read somewhere because of the barrel profile and gas port the correct barrel parts would be the AK74 pattern parts which would be correct for a certain model arsenal makes for military sales. I dont know the model, but it is a milled 7.62x39 with an 74 pattern front end.

I think that is probably my only option unless I get a different barrel, which would be expensive and probably fall under the previously mentioned full retard I was trying to avoid.

I am familiar with iron wood and have purchased several sets from them. The set for the slr95 would be a cheap easy route and look great, but I was trying to do a proper deban including the front end parts so I could mount the cleaning rod and a bayonet.

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd replace the barrel as an absolute LAST resort.

These hammer forged hard chrome lined Bulgarian barrels are probably the best ever used on an AK.
They bought the hammer forging technology and tooling from Steyr of Austria and the barrels are reported to last about forever in semi-auto.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I hate to re barrel it. I think I am either going to send it off and get the lower tag installed along with an AK74 gas block and front sight base. Or I will just use iron wood and skip every thing else.

Does any one know if these are threaded. Or how the break is installed?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The SLR 95/96 muzzle is not threaded, but it is the full size of an AK barrel before it's threaded.
So, you can thread it to the standard AK thread.

The SLR muzzle brake can be a lot of "fun".
Either it will come off without heroic measures, or you may need to cut it off.
These were pressed on then double pinned.  Some can be easily driven off with a hammer and a hardwood block, some just refuse all efforts and have to be cut off.
You won't know what until you try to remove it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you finding a lower tang?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not looked. I was going to send it to Tubothis and hoped he had one lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bulgarian type 3 style front sight block (with fangs) for an AKM barrel profile like the SLR 95 if you are interested. I took it off to use an AK74FSB.   Kvar has them from time to time.  Thread the barrel, add an AK74 gas block with lug, and you are set.

PM if interested.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool, thanks, I didn't know that was a thing. How would a type 3 fsb look with a 90 degree gas block? I guess how it looks now, with ban features... you think an AKM gasblock would look better? Would a 45 degree gas block work on a 90 degree barrel?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Iwantfullauto:
Would a 45 degree gas block work on a 90 degree barrel?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Henny:
Where are you finding a lower tang?
View Quote
Kvar has them kvar
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 3:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKmonte] [#14]
I was informed the SLR95 has a barrel with a gas block journal .591.  The AK 74 is .591 the barrel will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Just curious if you ever changed the front end of your SLR-95? I used to have one and converted it to a pre-ban look with adding a cleaning rod. But I regretted it because the accuracy suffered as a result. I was getting quarter size groups at a 100 yards when it was stock. Most accurate AK I owned but it never was the same and I ended up selling it. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not messed with it in a while. I think I am just going to buy an Ironwood stock set and call it good.

Thanks

James
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top