Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 10:53:18 AM EDT
I have the Midwest Industries Gen1 side-rail scope mount but I'm having trouble finding a scope that will work with it. I have tried a Zeiss 1X4, Swarovski 1X6 and a Kahles 1X6 and the eye piece is too big to fit.  MI scope mount put the scope too low and the magnification ring/eye piece contacts the AK's top cover. I need a scope with a smaller eye piece.

I like the MI mount and it "looks and feels" solid and quality. I have been using an almost identical mount for an Aimpoint ML2 for years and it has been 100%.

I have to assume that MI had a scope in mind when they designed and mass produced this mount. Anyone know what that magic scope is?

Here is the exact mount that I am referring to at Opticsplanet https://www.opticsplanet.com/midwest-industries-mi-ak-side-rail-scope-mount-30mm-for-ak-47.html

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant be the only idiot that bought one of these scope mounts. Some one out there is happily using it with some mystery scope, I just know it....

I broke out my calipers and measured the widest part of my Zeiss 1X4 eye piece (the magnification ring) which is 1.810". I need a scope that is a little narrower at the eye piece but not longer than 10". The widest part of my Nightforce 2.5X10X32 scope is 1.590" which, I suspect, is the same eyepiece they use on their 1X4 model. That should possibly work but I dont want to blow the $$$ unless I'm SURE. (That Nightforce 2.5X10X32 is too long due to the rear sight on the AK so it would need to be short, 10" max.)

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Apparently the MI Gen 1 30mm AK Side Mounted Scope Rail was designed for the NF 1x4 (or 1X8) or similar sized scope because it fits perfectly. The length is not too long so that it does not hit the rifle's rear sight and the scopes ocular (eye piece) and especially the magnification rind fits over the top cover. The scope sits nice and low and gives a nice cheek rest even with the uncomfortable folding metal stocks.

This is much more of a scope than I wanted for my AK's but it's turning into an obsession to test AK accuracy which I cannot do without optics.

I have not zero'ed or shot with the scope yet. Hopefully the mount is not crooked or otherwise FUBAR (everything "AK" is especially difficult).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top