Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2018 2:37:35 PM EDT
I picked up a FM-AK74-21 recently. https://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-vepr-5-45-x-39-side-fold-ak74-fmak7421

Note the skeletonized folding stock.

I picked up a http://www.k-var.com/sm-13v-next-generation-scope-mount-with-picatinny-rail-for-ak-variants because the description stated "SM-13V is an Arsenal improved design for all AK variants, including Vepr and RPK rifles with side folding stock mechanism."

However, I am finding it too wide to permit the stock to latch in the folded position. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be looking for another scope mount?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Any left side folding stock will not close and latch with a scope mounted in the side rail.  I think their description just means it will fit on the rail,  but it does not mention folding the stock
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any left side folding stock will not close and latch with a scope mounted in the side rail.  I think their description just means it will fit on the rail,  but it does not mention folding the stock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This.  That's why they emphasize the quick attach/detach feature.

The SM-13V utilizes the time-proven steel adjustable locking mechanism that allows instantaneous attachment and release of the scope mount without any compromise to the accuracy and loss of zero.
Personally...I'd keep that setup. I'd just detach the mount for times that I want the stock to latch in the folded position.  99% of the time though...I'd just leave the mount on it and the stock extended (that's just me though).
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It's one or the other not both.  Locking left side stock or scope mount on the left side.  That's why when I made my RPK with a Bonesteel side folder to the right.

Congrats on the new Rifle.

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
You guys may be right, but I certainly don't like the idea that I have to choose! I want both my fold and my optic.

No reflection on you guys mind you, but if anyone has a 'get both' solution, I sure would like to hear it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the same with the side-folding polymer stocks like on new Arsenal SLR FR rifles.  They just have enough material relieved to let the stock latch folded without a scope mount on the rail.  I just don't fold it all the way when I need to take it in the car folded.  I don't shoot it folded anyway, so no need to latch for my use cases.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I don't have a folding stock on it any more, but this is still what I use for an optic mount and it works perfectly for folders, Attero bravo + PA micro:

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you can use any mount that doesn't go on the left side.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct, if you want to fold the stock, you'll need to look at other options.

1. Replace the Gas Rail upfront - there are numerous options from an Ultimak rail to Midwest handguards - red dot mount

2. replace the rear leaf sight - I don't have any experience so you'll need to research - likely rod dot mount

3. TWS - replace the top cover with a firm picatinny rail mount option - red dot or magnified optic

4. Handguard and top cover replacement - Zenitco - expensive but option for Red dot and magnified optic

There are options, just a question of what optic and cost you want
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be afraid to embrace the power of the QD design for side mount optics. Good mounts will return to zero so there is no worry about removing and remounting the optic and rail/mount combo

Other options already mentioned work well also
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top