Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2020 12:25:15 PM EDT
Saw a listing in the EE. 6 bucks a piece to at least try out is warranted. Even if they are shit, no real loss, just toss them in the range bag. They are Korean and it is my understanding that ROC mags are less than stellar.

Anyone try them?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw a listing in the EE. 6 bucks a piece to at least try out is warranted. Even if they are shit, no real loss, just toss them in the range bag. They are Korean and it is my understanding that ROC mags are less than stellar.

Anyone try them?
View Quote

I have. I have a 10 pack of them... sold a 10 pack to a friend. So far they work well. the story is. for $5.99 I might buy a few more, as they seem to be working well in every AK i've tried. No malfunctions, not fitment problems. They're made of slightly thinner metal than com-bloc but if they work well I'll take all I can get for $5.99... they are a LOT better than those old powder coated KCI mags I got 5-6 years ago

"as for Koreans, there are three gens of Koreans. The black powder coated 1st gen. The grey coated second gen, and the gloss coated 3rd gen. All Koreans are made of thinner gauge metal, which of course means less dent resistance.
The powder coated 1st gen according to all reports were military rejects for South Korean contracts. We got all the gen 1 rejects that they didn't ship out to their clients. Thus when they came into the U.S. they got a reputation for being utter GARBAGE. And for good reason. Some wouldn't feed. others lost he welds from being rejected for poor spot welding. etc.

gen 2s were the grey. these were a LOT better, and also came with the 20 rounders. For some reason the 30 rounders had an issue with feeding still in the 2nd gens, but still ran ok for 90% of the time. The 20 rounders on the other hand they got perfect. Still thin gauge metal, but I haven't seen a report of a failed 20 rounder in like EVER.

Then came the third round. The gen 3s in the last 2-3 years. These have been a HUGE improvement. Better spot welds, they fixed the feeding issues, and they generally just work REALLY well. According to rumors and sources they got the hint when they earned their justified horrible reputation with the first gen, and their issues with the 2nd gen were ironed out as they lost some mil contracts to those issues. The new 3rd gen ones still have a stigma, but just fucking WORK. I will admit I was leery buying a few, but for $5.99 I was willing to grab a 10 pack and beat the shit out of them. I still think polymer mags or heavier gauge steel mags are BETTER due to the thinner steel, but I can't make them fail with normal use, and so has everyone else who's run them. The gen 1s and 2's come in under the KCI name. The Gen 3's are usually imported from SHK (although the 20 rounders are still KCI if I remember correctly)"
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
i bought some cause I needed some and they were cheap enough to try. Get my feet wet so to speak with AK mags.

first AK, no mag with it....

so far they look good fit good and the one I tried worked fine!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The metal is a little thinner but they work and universally fit so they are  pretty great value.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top