Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/10/2022 11:40:44 PM EDT
The LGS has a 1962 Tula AK-47 in 762. They want a fortune for it but it's pretty as all get out. Numbers matching too. It's been on the shelf for a while and I've looked at it a few times.

Now, I'm not an AK guy. I've been building a Galil and have all the parts for my PSL build. I never saw the attraction of the AK and I hate my BIL's SKS. I'm starting to get a stirring in my nether regions for this thing. What's the FO point on this girl ?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The LGS has a 1962 Tula AK-47 in 762. They want a fortune for it but it's pretty as all get out. Numbers matching too. It's been on the shelf for a while and I've looked at it a few times.

Now, I'm not an AK guy. I've been building a Galil and have all the parts for my PSL build. I never saw the attraction of the AK and I hate my BIL's SKS. I'm starting to get a stirring in my nether regions for this thing. What's the FO point on this girl ?
View Quote
I'd want to know the quality of the build before I'd get too excited.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
How much? If I was spending big money on an AK just pick up an arsenal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Value is usually gonna be dependent on who the builder was.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It was made in Russia by Tula. Semi auto, it says 1 of 20 imported to America. All numbers match- receiver, barrel, everything.... It's really pretty.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was made in Russia by Tula. Semi auto, it says 1 of 20 imported to America. All numbers match- receiver, barrel, everything.... It's really pretty.

View Quote
Is it next to the Luger Hitler used to shoot himself?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, You freakin' joker. But they are asking 3K. Should I grab it ?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Their is one on the AKFiles for $2k but build on an 80% so the guy would demill it,

Their are also kits on R guns for like 1400 I believe, if you can find a builder you can save some money
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Offer $2500 cash
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Offer $2500 cash
View Quote
It's 3K, and I don't have it. I don't know if they'll budge on the price. I can do a lay away. I have to put a third down and I get 45 days to pay it off. I can do that easy.....

They have a nice Winchester 94 30-30 that I'm going to grab for my brother's daughter today. They also have a Dan Wesson 1911 Classic that I want, it's $1400. And they've had it for a while. It's super nice.

The Tula has been there since the new year. Nobody has bought it. It's a big bite. I have AR's that I've built that I've spent a ton on but that's a bit here and there. Not one big $$$$ at once.

The Dan Wesson, Another one will come up. The Tula, it will be a long time before I see another like this one, if ever. What to do ?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a demilled Tula parts kit rebuilt built on a US made receiver by someone ..... that "1 of 20" story is complete BS

Value depends on who made the receiver, who did the build, and is the bbl original

Take a look at the underside of the receiver in front of the mag well .....any markings there?

When people selling guns start making shit up, I normally just walk away ....as they rarely accept the truth, or actual value
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a demilled Tula parts kit rebuilt built on a US made receiver by someone ..... that "1 of 20" story is complete BS

Value depends on who made the receiver, who did the build, and is the bbl original

Take a look at the underside of the receiver in front of the mag well .....any markings there?

When people selling guns start making shit up, I normally just walk away ....as they rarely accept the truth, or actual value
View Quote
Well, now I'll go look...
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

It's a kit build. I'd rather have a factory gun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
1 of 20 lol

So it would have been exported from the Soviet Union since Tula stopped manufacturing AKMs in the late 70s.

Sounds plausible.

As others said it's a parts kit build and the seller is either full of shit or doesn't know anything about it. It could have been built in someone's garage or by a known builder. Someone who knows AKs well would really need to inspect it to give you an idea which it is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's get pics of receiver markings if possible.

Psa tula builds are under 2k but if I parted one and found a decent builder it's in to 3k or so. I was in the market but I'd probably grab a psa and throw in a few cases of ammo to stack with it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Psa tula builds are under 2k but if I parted one and found a decent builder it's in to 3k or so. I was in the market but I'd probably grab a psa and throw in a few cases of ammo to stack with it.
View Quote
They haven't had any for like 6 months now, and I don't believe they will anytime soon - if ever.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay, It's build on a parts kit.

Done by "Childress" It's very nice with some use and a very attractive patina.

They aren't firm on the price either.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay, It's build on a parts kit.

Done by "Childress" It's very nice with some use and a very attractive patina.

They aren't firm on the price either.
View Quote

https://www.childersguns.com/Receivers
@ zoominiroc

Its a kit build on a Childers receiver, hard pass from me. Random guy in his garage or someone who has built 100s of AKs actually know what they're doing did the actual assembly? There's no way to know. Add that to the bullshit story the shop told you and the likelihood it was assembled by a competent gunsmith with a good reputation goes way down since they aren't saying who actually built it.  

Too much money to take the risk when PSA is selling kit guns with a warranty for $1000-$1500.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-47/combloc-ak-kit-builds.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Save yourself some money and get an Arsenal.  You can buy the wood furniture in whatever flavor you wish.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Offer $500 since they told you it was a legit 1 of 20 import.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a PLO kit a few years back. Beautiful AK. Cost, about2k. IF built buy a good builder, they're worth the $.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.childersguns.com/Receivers
@ zoominiroc

Its a kit build on a Childers receiver, hard pass from me. Random guy in his garage or someone who has built 100s of AKs actually know what they're doing did the actual assembly? There's no way to know. Add that to the bullshit story the shop told you and the likelihood it was assembled by a competent gunsmith with a good reputation goes way down since they aren't saying who actually built it.  

Too much money to take the risk when PSA is selling kit guns with a warranty for $1000-$1500.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-47/combloc-ak-kit-builds.html
View Quote
This, big time.

I'd want to know the details on who did the build, and also have the work looked over by a known competent AK builder to be safe before I touched anything like that.

The fact that they advertised it with that BS story leads me to believe they acquired it from a builder who sold it to them on the BS story, and therefore is already highly suspect of being a hack.

If it's a properly done build and all on the up and up, it can be worth $2,500 or more potentially.  But if it's a hack job it's not really worth considering at any price IMO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ask the seller if he realizes no AKs in that configuration were ever imported, and certainly not from Tula. The first AK types imported were Valmets in 1981. Prior to that a few AKs did come into the country as war trophies or through shady methods and a few were probably registered under the 1968 amnesty. If that gun were one of those, $3000 would be a bargain. Next to be imported were the Egyptian (1982), Chinese (1983), Hungarian (mid 80s), and Yugo AKs (1986). The Russians eventually began importing AKs, but as the heavily civilianized versions made by Izhmash. Eventually the Saigas began getting modified here in the US to look like the AK-100 series or, with a lot of work, AKMs, but they were all Izhmash. Saiga Legions were eventually imported in standard AK 100 configurations before the ban, many converted to look like AKMs. AKM kits from both Izhmash and Tula have been imported and many built, but they're kits.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They haven't had any for like 6 months now, and I don't believe they will anytime soon - if ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would never say never. Batches come and go.

I stopped in a random gun shop yesterday while out of my normal area and I was fed terrible information from the employees/owners.

Most gun store guys don't know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the help. It's a really nice rifle. The shop is just repeating what the seller has told them. The gun is on consignment. And the seller's bottom line is $2400. I like it but I don't need it. The shop has a lay-away program that goes out for 45 days so it's an easy purchase. I'm really on the fence on this one but the odds of finding another like this are slim to none. And Slim's out of town..... To fo or no ?

That is the question.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#28]
if it's a PLO kit, and the the rifling looks good, the bore looks good, the muzzle is nice, all the rivets look nice, and you can get a 3 day inspections, I'd FO. Not a horrible price for a PLO. You may need to have the gun store reach out to the seller for more details. If none are forthcoming, I'd walk.

Also check the barrel for markings and research that too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, You freakin' joker. But they are asking 3K. Should I grab it ?
View Quote
I was making a point.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was making a point.
View Quote
I know.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]
If you want to spend $2k there are half a dozen nice quality rifles in the AK EE section.

With provenance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#32]
As others has said hard pass on that "Tula" with the b/s story.   What you want is a Polytech Legend for a legit rifle at that type of high end price point.  Being in PA that was an easy grab years ago but the market has gone crazy in the last few years  (and COVID, GB price gouging as well as import bans / domestic ban threats have not helped) so what was an affordable factory / milspec AK in the Legend is now a "collectors item" that people want double that for.  Here is a tip: if you dont mind a stamped rifle as opposed to milled like that "Tula" build and the Legend, look for a Hungarian SA-85M "Kasner" import (not KBI - will say "Kasner") - they came in through an importer in PA so if you look around you should find one locally -  all factory gun including receiver and barrel - add russian furniture and you have a real russian spec. combloc AK with no US made parts made in a commie country before the fall of the berlin wall.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bawhawhawhawhaw! I had to laugh a bit a that...

But... everyone knows Hitty actually croaked of bad health in Argentina late 50's to early 60's...

However, the OP says they are askin' about 3G's for the Tula so it might be of some substantial quality if it really commands that price! I wanna pics of it inside and out though!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top