Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 7:09:05 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Saiga/AK newbie here.  I know on the exterior these Saigas seem to have a paint of some sort.

My question is, what is the finish used on the bolt and bolt carrier?  Mine has been NIB and never fired.  I am the original owner etc.  I pulled it out to clean and lube to prohibit corrosion and rust.  I noticed the carrier and bolt had a little finish missing in certain places.

I’m not worried about the scratches and scrapes.  I’m just more curious if the internals have the same “paint” type finish as the exterior.  I know it can’t be nitride, tennifer or bluing lol.  It’s definitely not park'd.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah thanks.  So that’s it.  Some paint on the bolt and the carrier then.  It seems like that’s all it is.

I bet it’s common to see well used AKs with no finish left on most of the bolt?  Just bare metal and keep a film of oil on it to prevent rust?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Normal yes

Don't clean it with Hoppes or anything abrasive. It doesn't need it and in fact the finish will come off. Just use something like CLP and you'll be GTG

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you sir.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top