Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/24/2021 9:15:38 AM EDT
I managed to get a gen 1 ACE 16” in 7.62x39. I already have the pistol version (SBR) with an Aimpoint. I wanted a gen 1 version since it has a fixed front sight.

What is your favorite optic set up? Browe/Trijicon ACOG (prism) optic vs LPVO? How high of a mount and what type?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the "military correct" setup and have a Meprolight M21 with the bullseye reticle on mine.

On my old ACE I had a Leupold VX-R patrol and I needed a base with taller rings for the scope to be able to clear the rear iron sight.  If you remove the rear iron sight then you don't need to worry about that, but I prefer to keep irons on everything in the extremely rare case of an optic failure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the "military correct" setup and have a Meprolight M21 with the bullseye reticle on mine.

On my old ACE I had a Leupold VX-R patrol and I needed a base with taller rings for the scope to be able to clear the rear iron sight.  If you remove the rear iron sight then you don't need to worry about that, but I prefer to keep irons on everything in the extremely rare case of an optic failure.
View Quote

Agree with keeping iron sights. I really wish they would have kept the front sight base on the new Galil ACE gen 2, and developed a flip up rear sight that works with the front.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Agree with keeping iron sights. I really wish they would have kept the front sight base on the new Galil ACE gen 2, and developed a flip up rear sight that works with the front.
View Quote

Agreed.  I just got a Gen 1 as well for a great price.  No doubt the improvements on the Gen 2 were nice, but the Gen 1 just looks so much better.  Completely agree about the front sight base.  That honestly instantly turned me off of the Gen 2.  And agree about the rear sight as well.  Something built into the rail like on the Tavor or even some Troy-like rear sight would have been nice.

I meant to mention, the mount height I had was an RRA Hi-Rise cantilever mount when I had the Leupold.  From the base to the center of the rings it was 1.685" which was just enough for the scope to clear the rear sight if you wanted an LPVO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I was wondering if a standard 1.5” height AR mount would work. I’ll have to play with it. I have no intent of removing the rear sight for those “emergency” situations.

I think the Gen 2 set up makes sense for SBRs and the 13” model, but not the rifle models IMHO. A free float handguard is a great addition, but the loss of the FSB is a minus in my book.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my ACE with the Mepro M21 on it:

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Red dot of choice + low mount

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a eotech 558 I think I’m going to stick with. Height is similar to the mepro posted above me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on if you want the optic to cowitness with the sights at all or if you want the sights to be obscured to be used as a backup.

If you want the sights to cowitness you basically need an Aimpoint Micro or clone (Holosun, Sig Romeo, etc) and you need to use the factory low mount that comes with it as it's the lowest mount possible. It is however non-QD.

The A.R.M.S. #31 Aimpoint Micro Mount is either at the same height or not much taller and is QD if you want that height and want to have something QD.

If you are like me and you do not like co-witnessing both ADM and Midwest Industries make a QD low mount for these style of optics and some others that puts the optical center line of the optic at about 1.1" above the rail which means the sights should be partially or mostly obscured so if you wanted to use them (in case the optic dies) you'd have to remove it to use the sights. The MI low mount arms is the least obtrusive as far as how far it sticks out from the rail but the ADM QD is IMO a little easier to use one handed so if the SHTF and the red dot dies and I need to get to those backup sights ASAP it's the one I would use.

If you are ok with taller the world is your oyster as AR absolute co-witness is about 1.43-1.5"  and lower 1/3" is 1.5-17" depending on optic and mount.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thread resurrection.

Now I am thinking about an ACOG. What height mount to clear the rear sight of the ACE?

3x24 or 3x30 ACOG? This is for a 7.62x39 16” gen 1 ACE
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Trijicon TA50-C-400237 3X24 low mount ACOG on Trijicon QD high mount AC12034.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went with the Trijicon TA50-C-400237 3X24 low mount ACOG on Trijicon QD high mount AC12034.
View Quote

How is the eyebox etc?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I find the eye box large enough to where I'm comfortable & the eye relief though a little short is easy to get used to. I like the TA50 enough that I have 4 of them on separate rifles. I personally prefer the green reticle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I just use a Primary Arms microdot mounted to tue topcover.
Cowitnesses fine, though I don't have very many rounds through it.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top