Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2018 12:12:03 PM EDT
So the story goes is that I bought an sks from a lgs.
It was cheap enough and in good enough condition for me to jump on, I've owned a norinco sks my whole life but never really got into the history of mine. Long story short it is a 16" barrel, doesnt look cut. 5 digit serial number no chinese characters no arsenal marking, very few inspection stamps, (matching minus the top plate which was railed and I replaced with a generic and trigger grouping which is a correct style milled grouping for such a low serial number) Does have an import stamp on the receiver says it is a Norinco sks.

So my question do I have a unicorn or was it cut and put back together very well?
Sorry no pictures will upload some tonight when I am back home.

From my research I believe it is a "ghost gun" meaning it was produced in China with Russian parts and oversight. correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
More than likely an early, Chi-Com Type 56 Carbine made with either Russian help or from late Russian-parts, that was later converted to the "Cowboy Companion"-variation for the American marketplace, refurbished with a new, non chrome-lined 16-inch barrel.  Remove the stock and look for an Arsenal /26\-stamp just below the wood-line, below the serial-number area.

The earliest Sino-Soviet Type 56's did not have the three Chinese characters for "Type 56", only a serial-number, usually starting with an "AA xxxx" or some other near variation for a serial# prefix, ala the Russian-style of serial-number designation.

I remember seeing the majority of these converted 16-inch Chi-Com SKS's that were made up from REALLY early Sino-Soviet rifles.  There were dozen's of importers at the time (late 1980's/very early 1990's).  Damn shame really,  not that they cared when they were importing and wholesaling them for less than $89.00 out the door, all day long.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That makes sense, thanks. Im on way home now will take some pictures. I can say near the serial numbers there are no letters just 5 digits.  I will remove the stock and look.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Reporting back no arsenal marking of any kind. This site wants me to link images using url which i dont know how to do. I did find some inspection stamps/marking etc on barrel lug and barrel itself. A 12 on the lug and circle inside a circle type of stamp on the barrel. Its possible my barrel was cut, i got to looking and the crown of my new norinco is majorly different than that of my late model norinco.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top