Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2018 11:51:27 AM EDT
I've been thinking about something like a SLR106FR.  I know some Beryl Archers came in a while go, but I can't seem to find any for sale at any sort of reasonable price.

Looks like the Veprs and Saigas come in some sort of weird ban config?  Is there any option to get them in the proper configuration?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my SLR106FR.  But, mags seem difficult to locate these days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there is much on the 5.56 AK front these days...

Russians stuff not coming in, and the Bulgarians, Yugoslavians and Romanians not currently producing - importing here anymore...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth I've enjoyed my 106FR, I just never really shoot it much anymore. But it has been flawless. As someone said mags are pricey when you find em.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
106 is still available new from many places. There are cheaper mag options if you don't mind modifying some mags slightly.

PSA is supposed to be coming out with a 5.56 AKM that will have an AR mag well.

There is also some rumor that the Archer will be coming back with a different importer than Royal Tiger and will include the FB factory AR mag adapter, but just rumors on the AKFiles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
106 is still available new from many places. There are cheaper mag options if you don't mind modifying some mags slightly.

PSA is supposed to be coming out with a 5.56 AKM that will have an AR mag well.

There is also some rumor that the Archer will be coming back with a different importer than Royal Tiger and will include the FB factory AR mag adapter, but just rumors on the AKFiles.
View Quote
I'm not looking for an AR mag AK.
I saw a comment about people use promags, is that what you are referring too?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Arsenal Krink in 5.56mm and use Polish mags, good setup.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like the Veprs and Saigas come in some sort of weird ban config?  Is there any option to get them in the proper configuration?
View Quote
They come in as sporter rifles and yes, you can get them converted partially to a pistol grip / rear end setup, or go full out and have them converted to AK74M / AK101 with all the front end work done. Some people do the folding stock conversion to get a decent AK101 clone but it's not needed if you just want a shooter in .223

My .223 Saiga is off getting converted to an AK101 right now
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can find one.... Zastava M90NP.

Built from the factory to take AR mags. Love mine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My .223 Saiga is off getting converted to an AK101 right now
View Quote
Who are you having do the work?  How much (roughly) is it costing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Does it have a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Not an ak but I would explore the world of cz vz 58
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oddly enough they did chrome line their 5.56 barrels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do the Polish mags have to be modified?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who are you having do the work?  How much (roughly) is it costing?
View Quote
Two Rivers in OK

With my parts, their labor and the additional clone details like Russian paint, selector markings and dimples on the FSB and GB it will probably be about 1k all in. It's not cheap anymore to do a full side folder conversion on a Saiga (and it never was to get a good full clone done)

If you just want to do a basic PG conversion there are a zillion tutorials out there. @nictra has done plenty and I've done 4 or 5 myself. It's easy enough even for a first timer, but you will get plenty of help here

If you want to do the front end using Bulgarian parts it's not terribly difficult to do yourself either and really just requires a press. It's the full side folder that requires really good machinist skills, the right tools and the right templates

Z
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oddly enough they did chrome line their 5.56 barrels.
View Quote
Yup due to NATO equirements, IIRC.

5.56 AK is best AK

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup due to NATO equirements, IIRC.

5.56 AK is best AK

http://obviouslyoperator.com/files/2018cerakoteM85.JPG
View Quote
I love my 7.62, but my 5.56 M85 gets shot more. it has a Delta Point mounted on the Ultimak now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, shouldn't have to be. The Poles still field the 5.56 Beryl Archer AK. I used to have an Arsenal 106FR and had a couple of the Polish 5.56 mags, they're pretty nice mags.

Now I'm picking up a 106CR to SBR, and hoping I can find some more 5.56 AK mags to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not looking for an AR mag AK.
I saw a comment about people use promags, is that what you are referring too?
View Quote
The Promags will work out of the box but they're about the junkiest mags you'll find.

The cheapest mag I would recommend for the 106 is the Tapco Galils and they do have to be modified, about five minutes per mag. The front area of the mag needs to be narrowed down with a Dremel. There's even a molded frame around the area needing to be modded so that makes it very easy to do. Then they will snap right in. Even if you remove too much material at the front they will still be snug since the mag body is the exact width as the mag well. I do like the Tapco mags because they are basically a PMAG slightly modified to fit an AK, so they are very compact and will fit in any AR mag pouch, and they have a Magpul style anti tilt follower.

The same modification can be done with steel Weiger magazines, but they are a bit more expensive and availability is hit or miss.

Surplus Galil magazines unfortunately will sit too low in the 106 even if modified to fit.

Polish mags used to be pretty cheap but they have really gone up in price. I bought a bunch when they were still around $22/was so I'm glad about that.  Avoid the clear plastic ones, they can crack at the steel inserts. Get the black ones or the newer Polish issued green ones, if they are ever available again. There was some pressure on WBP to export them to the US over on AKFiles, WBP seems to think there is no market for them, so they said. Maybe they will change their mind.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone.

The other options are nice, but I've decided I want to go with a 106.  It is what I want out of the box.

I'm talking a couple of people trying to work out a deal on one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very nicely done, do want
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Arms of America just got a shipment of new Radom 5.56 mags in stock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Had a SAR2 or SAR3, whichever one shoots 5.56 and takes Weiger mags.  It ran like a top with a bunch of extra mags, I had the hardest time selling it a decade plus ago...  wish I had kept it.

If you have to spend a $1k to get one, I would just spend more on a Galil or CZ.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Ordered a 106-36.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a 106 that was great but mags were an annoyance.

So I thought about it and went with the Belgium version of an AK.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If I were doing a SBR again that wasn't an AR15, it would be a Sig552 or a SCAR-L.  I had a 106UR and it was a POS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's some hotness right there Fin

Excellent camo pattern
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top