BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2021 8:45:20 AM EDT
Which mags are you all buying right now?  I came across some Polish Surplus in "Good to Very Good" condition, they are about $25 bucks each.  Are you all buying polymer or metal mags, I am looking at long term reliability.

I see the Zastava BHO are going for more than $30 each on Gun Broker...  Yes, I know "Gun Broker..."  I guess some people get caught up in bidding vs looking for other online retailers that have stock for $29.95 each..

I stocked up on Okay mags for the AR, I have a few Magpull ones also but I am leaning towards metal mags for long term.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If I needed mags now I would go with the Polish surplus ones.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
AC-Unity mags are cheap and have metal locking lugs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheap $110 bakelite mags
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The cheap $110 bakelite mags
View Quote

Is that what these are selling for now or is that the asking price....??  Either way, heck no..  I have a few of these, I think I paid something like $60.00 for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It wouldn't hurt to purchase a few magpul 47 and 74 mags.
All that I usually use though are stashed steel comblocs.
Wish I had more surplus 74 mags but when those were cheap I wasn't into them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is that what these are selling for now or is that the asking price....??  Either way, heck no..  I have a few of these, I think I paid something like $60.00 for them.
View Quote

I’m seeing them sell for over $100 a piece on akfiles. Insanity
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been stocking up on the bulgarian steel mags. Also picked up a few magpul M3 mags too.

I don't have a whole lot of choices being in a magazine ban state though
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to hijack, but since it's germane: any reason to go with RTG over AoA or vice versa for surplus mags (e.g. one is more conservative than the other with their surplus grading)?

Looking at these mags specifically:

AoA Polish

vs.

RTG Polish

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
For 7.62x39 mags my go to choice is Circle 10's and my range fodder choice is AC Unity. If I was looking for something less expensive than Circle 10 but still high quality I would probably go for XTech Tactical mags. I would also keep an eye on reviews of the new PSA mags, they look very promising.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up circle 10s a long time ago (when they were first imported in the early 2000s) and more recently russian bakes before they prices went crazy.  These days, unless you are looking for collector stuff or want to match a gun with a certain type or manufacture for looks, just get mil spec steel -  you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]
This previous discussion might be useful:

Best 7.62x39 mags going at the moment?

Some of the options mentioned may not be readily available, and prices have certainly gone up in the last few years. I'd recommend ordering at least a few surplus steel mags (Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, E. German) from WhatACountry and other online shops that have them, but they're running about $20-$25 for good condition mags these days, when you can find them in stock. Chinese surplus mags are excellent, but those are priced even higher lately ($30+).
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always recommended genuine military issue steel or polymer/bakelite mags. I'm sure many of the aftermarket mags are functional, but unless you are just looking for something for recreational use only I would stick with OEM.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The Bulgarian polymer with steel reinforced lugs and lips are great.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I had gotten into the AK game years ago. I remember when, and I thing I still have the catalogues, you could buy a 4-pac of mags with surplus pouch for around 12 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Circle 10s are probably still the best magazine, but at $45-$50 they are going for more than I paid for my last Izzy bakelite. 10 years ago was much better for accumulating magazines when Apex was doing 10 for $90 deals on surplus steelies.

You can still find new and NOS steel mags for around $25-Apex has some Romanian ones. Right now something like that would be my choice. They aren't $12 like AR mags but they're also a much more durable magazine.

I'm not personally a fan of BHO mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got a few of the Polish ak mags from CSS.  Wasn't the cheapest mags but should be quality.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have stocked up already but did buy a couple Croatian steel mags recently for $12.99 which is holding in price at Classic Firearms. My bolt didn't hold open in my Bulgarian though but overall they look brand new and no rust.

Croatian Mags
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been by Bulgarian poly’s and Polish steel mags from Arms of America
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Not buying any.  Bought up a few over the years, all original foreign military.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the regular estern bloc steel military mags, but also the Tapco ones.  I have seen the Magpuls not fit in multiple AKs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Chief Thunder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been standardizing around Yugo BHO (still available under $25 some places) because they fit like they were designed specifically for my WASR GP 10/63. No wobble and I like the BHO feature. I'm selling off most everything else and buying up the Yugos.

I've also been picking up the non-reinforced Magpul 20's. When I don't feel like I need a full 30 rounds of 7.62 (the weight and the bulky size), it's nice to carry 20 in the gun. And Hungarian 20's are pretty dear at $40+ IF you can find them in stock. So far, I have a few hundred rounds through 3 different Magpul 20's with no problems.

I just recently saw Serbian polymer "Model 320" at Apex. They're $14.95 with steel locking lugs and $8.99 for plastic. I probably won't try them until I see some reviews but they look good and I might make a big order if I know I can trust them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I scored a bunch of Polish steel mags a while back and bought a few more surplus Polish mags recently from RTG and DK firearms. Honestly, I really like the Circle 10 Bulgarian polymer mags. I know they’re $50/each, but I am used to HK and Sig mag prices so no biggie.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a few Romanian, Bulgarian, Magpul, and Croatian magazines. All of them fit except the Croatian ones. Had to do filing above the locking tab so I used my Dremel sanding disc. One my Croatian magazines fit, and spray painted some flat black paint to cover the bare metal. They work just fine and I have tested them at the gun range as well. I paid less that $11 each Croatian magazine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a few Romanian, Bulgarian, Magpul, and Croatian magazines. All of them fit except the Croatian ones. Had to do filing above the locking tab so I used my Dremel sanding disc. One my Croatian magazines fit, and spray painted some flat black paint to cover the bare metal. They work just fine and I have tested them at the gun range as well. I paid less that $11 each Croatian magazine.
View Quote

I need to inventory my mags. I just placed an order for 10 more Circle 10 from RTG. I’m probably done at this point. I bought some of the Croatians that Palmetto was selling a while back. I don’t know if they sent me the “unissued” ones because they seemed to need fitting. I have quite a few Polish some in practically new condition from the looks of them.

I have a feeling the clock is ticking on “high-cap” mags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a feeling the clock is ticking on mags that are not reduced to an arbitrarily low capacity.
View Quote

FIFY

Also, were those Polish ones the new production ones in the paper wrapping? I boight a bunch several years ago and would like to snag more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

If looking for 74 mags The new production Bulgarian polymer/steel reinforced ones are 16.99 at some places still.

Get them and save your good/expensive ones. The only downside is no steel tab reinforcement. If you use it enough to wear down the tab you’ve got your money’s worth. Good range mags where you can throw them around and not worry about it being an $80 mag lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If looking for 74 mags The new production Bulgarian polymer/steel reinforced ones are 16.99 at some places still.

Get them and save your good/expensive ones. The only downside is no steel tab reinforcement. If you use it enough to wear down the tab you’ve got your money’s worth. Good range mags where you can throw them around and not worry about it being an $80 mag lol.
View Quote

This version (sold by a couple vendors) has steel locking lugs in addition to the reinforced feedlips. The rear tab is plastic with a thin steel wrap over it to strengthen it, and it seems to be very durable.

Bulgarian AK-74 5.45×39mm 30-Round Reinforced Steel Lug Polymer Magazine

AKOU's website includes a photo of the steel reinforcement parts:

AK74 5.45x39mm-Polymer 30 Round Magazine-Bulgarian Import

There is a version of these commercial polymer mags that does not have the reinforced locking tab, so make sure you pick the right one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FIFY

Also, were those Polish ones the new production ones in the paper wrapping? I boight a bunch several years ago and would like to snag more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a feeling the clock is ticking on mags that are not reduced to an arbitrarily low capacity.

FIFY

You know, I scored a whole bunch on a trade that looks like they have never been shot. I’m very happy. I also ended up ordering some of the surplus ones being sold through DK Firearms and RTG. They showed far more wear than the ones I got in the trade.

I think I’ve bought 20 Circle 10 Bulgarian polymer mags in the last month.

I want to make sure I have what I need before a ban.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't trust them to take the abuse that a surplus steel mag can take. The SHK Korean mags are just fine for range use. They are a little thinner steel than surplus mags. They are pretty well made and I think will last if not beaten up.

$7.99 SHK 30rd mags.

I'd stay with true milspec for SHTF type use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wish I had gotten into the AK game years ago. I remember when, and I thing I still have the catalogues, you could buy a 4-pac of mags with surplus pouch for around 12 bucks.
View Quote

I got into AKs before Sandy Hook happened, and then quit shooting it after I got an AR. Then the other day I saw a Brandon Herrera video on youtube that reminded me I have an AK I haven't shot in forever...and there's another one of things going on where shit's hard to find.

But I have 2 Chinese mags, a combat load of some other kinda surplus mag, and then Tapcos out the ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Some advice from an old guy that has an embarrassing number of 47 and 74 mags and rounds downrange.

For an AK-47 and spending money today:

Consider how many mags you need for a minimum and get the minimum covered right now.  I used to plan 10 mags per gun.  4 in a mag pouch is typical plus 1 in the rifle times 2.  This philosophy has served me well.  If you carry more than 4 mags in a pouch you need to be strong (or have a mule)! If money is tight, buy quality 5 at a time instead of skimping on quality.

1.  Pony up the $50 apiece for 2 or 3 Arsenal Circle 10 polymer waffle mags from K-var.  They are that good.  Exceptional mags and lighter than milsurp.  They were never "cheap" at $30-$35 15-20 years ago.
Look for used clean surplus steel mags.  Hungarian, Polish and Russian mags are better finished to my hands with fewer sharp edges than others.  These will last far longer than you will.  Romanian and newer Bulgarian mags are a little more crudely finished but 100% as reliable as any other and $23ish at www.whatacountry.com for example.
2.  Once you have a good base established, Chinese "flatback" mags and Chinese / Russian bakelite are cool looking, reliable, and very comfy and worth the extra cost for me (within reason).
3.  Do yourself a favor and get a 2-3 used clean 20-round Hungarian "Tanker" mags.  Underrated, shorter profile, very handy, and built to last forever.

For an AK-74 in 5.45x39:

1.  Bulgarian milsurp (not the newer commercial production) are bulletproof.  The current production 45-round Arsenal polymer waffle mags are pricey (always were) but fabulous.  Letting loose 45 rounds of 5.45 is impressive and there are good pouches available for carry.
2.  Polish Tantal steel mage are worth the squeeze if you want steel.

For an AK-74 in 5.56:
1.  Pay the pain and get the mags the rifle was designed around.  It will save you grief.  Bulgarian waffles for Bulgarian 106s, Weiger mags for a SAR-3, Norinco for Chinese 84-S.  I'm not familiar with Yugo products.

Good luck and get squared away while you can!

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I snagged a hungarian 30rd mag off apex so now I have 2 magazines
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#37]
I am by no means an expert on AK's. In fact i don't know much about them overall. I just recently received 10 of the Croatian mags from PSA. I bought them for 12.99 each with free shipping. I got them in the mail yesterday, cleaned them up and checked the fitment in my Arsenal SAM7 with no fitment issues whatsoever. I definitely would like to get some range time with them, hopefully in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Regular Bulgarian ones are fine.  Bulgarians build some of the best AKs and military accessories for a good price in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We have had great feedback with the current Bulgarian steel mags that have been currently coming into the US

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ak47-magazine-steel-bulgarian-5-pack-2.jpg

View Quote

Can't really beat combloc steelies
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#42]
The Bulgarian current production mags are good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Chief Thunder.
View Quote
those were good days
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I am wondering if the people who have to fit the mags to their rifle have the old century WASRs that came in as single stack rifles that Century took a Dremel to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Only mags I bought in 10 years have been korean 20's.  And they have been fine in my use.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am wondering if the people who have to fit the mags to their rifle have the old century WASRs that came in as single stack rifles that Century took a Dremel to.
View Quote

I had to fit all 6 of my Croat mags to my guns by reprofiling the rears of them.   AKOU did a review of them and they only fit 1 of the 6 guns he tried.   There are multiple videos on YouTube that show you what you need to do.   It isn't the latch but the whole upper rear of the mag above the latch.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Are the new Bulgarian polymer mags any good?  
Cannot find any reviews that are not an infomercial.

That alone scares me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That alone scares me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499991/73F1A3F1-D8A6-48A0-8217-343F3D891C68_jpe-2080729.JPG
View Quote

There have been a bunch of discussions about those magazines here. The key point to know is that there are two versions of these mags - with and without steel reinforcements on the locking lugs.

Bottom line: The version with steel reinforced locking lugs are great training mags. The version with steel reinforced feed lips but plastic locking lugs function well and should be fine for training / range use, but they're definitely less durable and fit more loosely in the magwell.

Previous discussions:

New production Bulgarian mags. Junk? (Archived)

Bulgarian steel insert AK 47 mags any good? (Archived)

Bulgarian Polymer Reinforced Mags

Bulgarian steel insert polymer 7.62x39 magazines any good?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That alone scares me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499991/73F1A3F1-D8A6-48A0-8217-343F3D891C68_jpe-2080729.JPG

View Quote

Thank you for the links and info!!!  Very helpful and much appreciated.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Magpul AK mags
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top