Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/23/2020 5:02:53 AM EDT
I'm sure this has probably be asked before but I was hoping I could get some help before I waste some money on something I'll end up hating.

So I got a great deal on a 10-63 but it came with a tapco folding stock. Because of the virus I have not been able to actually shoot it yet, but I really just don't particularly like the way it looks.

The rear trunnion is the standard fixed stock AKM one, so I'm guessing my options here are pretty limited. I had hoped that since it had been listed as a folder it would be able to accept a triangle folder but after I got it I realized it was just the standard fixed one.

So my question is what stocks will work with without modification? I know I can put a regular wood stock on it, and that may be what I end up going with if I don't find something I like.

I already have one WASR with a great color of furniture on it, and I don't plan on changing that so I thought I might go a different route with this one, so I can use a reddot on it since it came with a quad rail.

So modern stocks are fine. What would you put on it? And for shits and giggles, what would it cost to drill and tap it for the correct folding triangle stock if anyone has gone that route?

Thanks for the help guys

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I put a collapsible stock (AR style) on one with no problem. I like that A lot more than the side folder such as in your pic.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quite a few that will use the fixed stock trunnion. I use an East German wire folder on my WASR but these aren't for everyone.

Otherwise IMO I think CNC Warrior makes the most solid complete folding stock.
https://www.cncwarrior.com/AK-Saiga-Sidefolder-p/25362.htm

Steer clear of options that require cutting the trunnion tang off.

To install a real triangle side folder is a pretty significant job.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
East German Side Folder Below (or you can go Romanian or Polish Side Folder).

CNC Warrior is another great option if you want to go down the M4 Stock route.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm I don't hate the East German folder, I might have to try that out.

I should mention it doesn't have to be a folder. I'm trying to imagine what would feel the best, even if its a more modern option.

One thing I have been considering is the black poly AK stocks you see on the newer AK's.

I also noticed this one, and it says its made for fixed stock trunnions so I may have to go with this.  
Would this work?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm I don't hate the East German folder, I might have to try that out.

I should mention it doesn't have to be a folder. I'm trying to imagine what would feel the best, even if its a more modern option.

One thing I have been considering is the black poly AK stocks you see on the newer AK's.

I also noticed this one, and it says its made for fixed stock trunnions so I may have to go with this.  
Would this work?
View Quote

That one will also work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quite a few that will use the fixed stock trunnion. I use an East German wire folder on my WASR but these aren't for everyone.

Otherwise IMO I think CNC Warrior makes the most solid complete folding stock.
https://www.cncwarrior.com/AK-Saiga-Sidefolder-p/25362.htm

Steer clear of options that require cutting the trunnion tang off.

To install a real triangle side folder is a pretty significant job.
View Quote

+1

I have two of the CNC Warrior Galil-style (tubular) stocks and they're solid.  I went with the 8" length.  They are heavy, but one of the best sidefolders for fixed-stock trunnions.

Also have several of the Romanian wire-folder stocks.  (Basically the same as the East German type.)  I like them on small-bore AKs, not as pleasant on the 7.62x39 flavors. They are a bit short but you can strap on one of those buttpads intended for launching grenades to add a bit of length and cushioning.

Magpul's Zhukov-S folding stocks are nice, you get folding and collapsing in one package.  I had one and sold it since the "modern" AK look wasn't for me, but functionally they are a quality option.

Putting a 4.5mm AKS-74 or 5.5mm Century-series folding stock on a WASR is going to be expensive.  The parts are between $200-$300 and the labor is probably around that as well, if you're not doing it yourself.  Installing the front latch pin requires drilling into the front trunnion juuuuust a bit to seat the pin; if you punch a hole in your trunnion, there's no easy fix.

For fixed stocks, Arsenal's US-made samples are functional clones of the Bulgarian/Russian-polymer ones. Warsaw-length is the traditional somewhat shorter AK-length stock.  NATO-length adds an inch and a half or so.  I've used both, ended up keeping the Warsaw-length ones.  The NATO ones did make 7.62x39 "feel" a hair more controllable if you're being lazy in shooting technique, but it did make it seem unnatural in regular use.  I'm not a tall guy though.  I'll rag on Arsenal for the quality of their complete rifles these days, but their US-made 922R parts, especially the furniture, have been consistently good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a big fan of my Circle-10 AK fixed triangle stock :)

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
For a folder, my goto are the Bonesteel Arms/CNCWarrior Galil style stocks.  These things are comfortable and tough as nails. You can get them in long or short length and with left or right fold.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a folder, my goto are the Bonesteel Arms/CNCWarrior Galil style stocks.  These things are comfortable and tough as nails. You can get them in long or short length and with left or right fold.

https://i.imgur.com/swtROJF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R5T1CRG.jpg
View Quote

Hmm I actually really like the way that looks on the top pic. I think I may have to flip a coin between that and the triangle fixed one.

Kind of a side note, I didn't take any pics before I started which irritates me, but I took the mismatched wood furniture that also came with this second WASR and decided to refinish it. The top and bottom were really badly mismatched, and the bottom one was a bit fucked up from I guess the previous owner trying to refinish it, but only doing about a 2 inch area before giving up. So I sanded it down really well, then did the top one and brought out the grains and hit it with some black cherry stain, and then a coat of polyurethane to seal it up.

I'll grab some pics of it on the gun later today.

I wish I had a wood stock to complete the set. I may have to try and find a cheap one because the color that this came out is almost as good looking as the Russian wood thats on my other one. I had been questioning if I should have gotten the red mahogany, but this black cherry ended up being beautiful in my opinion.

Attachment Attached File

After a coat of sealer

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top