Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/4/2019 10:02:26 AM EDT
My uncle passed away and I received a few rifles, including this AK. I know nothing about them other than shooting one once while in Iraq.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Romanian National guard semi only parts kit (Hence the "G") on a American receiver (NDS?).
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I don’t really care what it’s worth since I’m keeping it, but is it a decent set up?

I have very little interest in AKs, but I feel like every collection should have one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If it barks when you tell it to speak- gtg.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
2 types of Romanian guns in the USA:

1) Romanian-factory barreled receivers which are imported in another configuration (ie the "WASR" guns which come in to US limited to 10 shot magazines, but then are opened up to normal mag configuration and re-fitted with enough US compliance parts to be consider "American Made" guns), and

2) Romanian "parts kit guns" assembled on US made receivers - some with original barrels, and some with US made barrels.

Your "G" kit was a Romanian made select-fire AKM made specifically for Romania's national guard before the Iron Curtain fell in 1989.

It was later imported to the U.S. and the receiver was cut into pieces, per ATF, then sold as a "parts kit."  Later, the full auto trigger parts were thrown away and replaced by a decent quality Tapco part, the "G2" trigger parts made in U.S.

I think the "G" kits were left with their barrels intact (later, Bush's ATF ordered barrels cut up too.  ).

Your gun's quality all depends on who re-built it into a semi-auto in the USA.  Some are excellent. Others, not so much.

The Romanian bolts and trunions have a very solid reputation.  Just ask Ron from Battlefield Las Vegas; his FFL / SOT allows him to conver these guns back, then his customers shoot the piss out of them on full auto - every day until they break.  He speaks highly of Romanian guns.

OP - looks like you have a 1982 parts set.  Also - the Romanian guns all look rough on the outside; you can see the crude tool marks on the sight tower.  But they are solid, and the metalurgy is very good on these parts kits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That’s very helpful. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Will I be burned at the stake for installing a Midwest Industries forend so I can mount a red dot?

These sights are awful.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will I be burned at the stake for installing a Midwest Industries forend so I can mount a red dot?

These sights are awful.
View Quote
Do what you want.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top