Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/22/2020 3:46:47 PM EDT
Did Russian make any 5.45 spam cans or crates in 1974?  I have a full crate marked 1975 but I haven't been able to find any that were actually dated 1974.  The 75 crate has a metal clip holding the lid on instead of the screw/swivel found on later crates.
Anyone know if they were made?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure there were. The earliest date I have seen on 5.45 is 1968. I imagine they used regular packaging even during the experimental and trials era. Will any ever turn up over here? Doubtful.

I've asked some European collectors if they can answer this question.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

EDITED TO ADD: 1974 dated can

Attachment Attached File

Per my contacts, pre-1974 markings referred to the cartridges as 7H6 (7N6).

Attachment Attached File

The lot number begins with "OP" indicating experimental and the date appears to be "70".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for taking the time to check! That answers my questions, I couldn't find anything.  Are single rounds of the pre 74 available?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for taking the time to check! That answers my questions, I couldn't find anything.  Are single rounds of the pre 74 available?
View Quote

I'm not sure any exist outside of Russia. I've asked my contacts in the cartridge collector community and am waiting to hear from them...

Edited to add: dates earlier than 1975 seem to be exceedingly rare outside of Russia.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for checking!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top