Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2020 2:13:54 PM EDT
I have a Waffenwerks ak74 made in 2012  never shot it what can you tell me about them ?  Worth keeping , junk    Aks not my forte so poking the bear for info
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one I think is was 2014, never had a problem. I haven't shot it a lot, maybe 500 rounds. Wolf and 7n6
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If it was made by WaffenWorks around 2010 to 2014 or so, it will be made on Bulgarian kits imported by Tenn Guns Int'l. I was working at TGI at the time. Many of the kits were virgin kits. Many only had test fire rounds fired through them then demilled for import.
We brought thousands of those kits. Around 75% were sold on the TGI website as just the kit. Around 25% were sent to WW or Troy Sellers in Kodak, TN to be built up with TGI marked NoDak receivers.

A lot of those kits were in pristine condition.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The one i had was a damn fine shooter.

After i fixed the way canted front sight.

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
OP yes I bought mine late 2012 right after Sandy Hook, from Center-fire Systems for $600. Plumb furniture, cleaning rod, WW receiver (not nodak Spud) and a tapco mag. It's a great shooter and I think I have about 400 rnds through it so far, all Silver Bear. At the time WW Bulgy 74's were greatness.

With WW dissolution and quality problems on later models, I seriously thought about selling mine. I changed my mind and will never part with it (I got good advice from fellow Arfcommers).  This was my journey, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Like many smaller companies they suddenly start doing volume, they had QC issues at some point so it seems that if you get a good one, then they are money, but if you get a bad one, be prepared to be annoyed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I grabbed one, I think around 2013 for $600 IIRC. Was having failure to feeds with 7n6 and they had me send it in. Don't remember what they stated they fixed. They sent it back a couple weeks later and seemed to work fine. Haven't shot it much though. Especially after 7n6 was banned. Overall, I'm glad to have it and recently got a couple hundred rounds each of monarch and hornady black from a coworker for pre-covid prices. For the money, I'm not disappointed
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50cal:
If it was made by WaffenWorks around 2010 to 2014 or so, it will be made on Bulgarian kits imported by Tenn Guns Int'l. I was working at TGI at the time. Many of the kits were virgin kits. Many only had test fire rounds fired through them then demilled for import.
We brought thousands of those kits. Around 75% were sold on the TGI website as just the kit. Around 25% were sent to WW or Troy Sellers in Kodak, TN to be built up with TGI marked NoDak receivers.

A lot of those kits were in pristine condition.

View Quote
@50cal,

I have (I'm assuming) one of those TGI Truck guns built on a NODak Spud receiver. Bought it second hand for a song...and I know why. It is way overgassed. You guys saw much of that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#8]
@Hamel

No. Had never experienced ones that were overgassed.  Quite a few of the truck guns were built by WaffenWerks also. They were numbers matching kits.
It may be the ammo. I've fired some Wolf that was kind of stout in both my '74s.

Buying one second hand you are sometimes buying something someone had done some WECSOG gunsmithing on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
All AKs are overgassed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HSimpson:
All AKs are overgassed.
View Quote

Good point - so the $64K question is does overgassed matter?  I dont think it does for this action as long as the receiver is solid.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamel] [#11]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
@Hamel

No. Had never experienced ones that were overgassed.  Quite a few of the truck guns were built by WaffenWerks also. They were numbers matching kits.
It may be the ammo. I've fired some Wolf that was kind of stout in both my '74s.

Buying one second hand you are sometimes buying something someone had done some WECSOG gunsmithing on.
View Quote
@50cal

Nothing appears to be altered but who knows.

I only shoot surplus. Same ammo and my PSA 74 shoots way softer.

Reason I think it's overgassed is recoil is violent the carriers hit in the rear trunnion. Rivets are bending and the rear trunnion is moved back enough that the cover won't fit.

Was going to get a kns Piston, but wanted to figure out a solution on fixing that rear trunnion movement.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Pic of rear trunion positionAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Haven't seen a 74 beat the rear trunnion like that.  Yeah, that rivet is going to need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is like shooting an AR, probably less recoil.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ordered mine about a week before Sandy Hook in late 2012.  No nodak receiver but looks and shots fine.  Only had to make slight elevation adjustment and sighted in with about five shots. Windage was spot on.  Everything looks straight and correct on the one I have so I think I got a good one.  Came with blonde wood furniture and I’m keeping it.  Fun to shoot.  Only shot Russian steel case through it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By egoregor1:
Ordered mine about a week before Sandy Hook in late 2012.  No nodak receiver but looks and shots fine.  Only had to make slight elevation adjustment and sighted in with about five shots. Windage was spot on.  Everything looks straight and correct on the one I have so I think I got a good one.  Came with blonde wood furniture and I’m keeping it.  Fun to shoot.  Only shot Russian steel case through it.
View Quote

I look forward to your second post in 2035.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two more kits from TGI that are virgin kits with cut barrels & plum stocks with GM chrome lined replacement barrels. I decided to go ahead & finish them, but bought a Bulgarian side folding stock package to replace the plum stock on one of them. When the stock gets here, the build will start. This should complete my Bulgarian collection of 14 rifles!
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top