Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/5/2018 1:40:30 PM EDT
I looked through the first page or so, don't see anything.

Is it possible to convert my full stock WASR GP 10/63 to a side or under folder without much fiddling around?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
All you need for a side folder is remove standard stock, buy Romanian folder, and insert.

Maybe not in that order.

Underfolder requires new trunion, grinding, rivets, and welding, and refinish. Well, maybe not a refinish, with a WASR...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
not worth it
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you need for a side folder is remove standard stock, buy Romanian folder, and insert.

Maybe not in that order.

Underfolder requires new trunion, grinding, rivets, and welding, and refinish. Well, maybe not a refinish, with a WASR...
View Quote
If it is indeed that easy to get a side folder, I'll start looking.  Got any ideas where to look?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Magpul Zhukov stock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If by side folder you mean the factory-style folder on the SLR-107FR-type rifles, then it will require a gunsmith and a new rear trunnion.  Same for the underfolder.  It's not easy or cost-effective to make a side-folder or underfolder out of a fixed-stock AK.

If you want to simply have a stock that folds, you can do like the posters above have suggested (Magpul Zhukov, Romanian wire side-folder, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a ACE Folding Block w/ACE Skeleton Stock (side folder), A Romanion Wire Folder (side folder), a Bonesteel folder(side folder), and a Romanion Under Folder.    The first three are easily swapped out.   It is just a matter of removing the two screws for the stock, pulling prying the stock out of the rear receiver and inserting the new stock and screwing it in.   The underfolder is a whole different ballgame.

Of the three side folders, I like the Bonesteel the best.   It does not lock folded but it is tight enough that it stays folded just fine.    When unfolded it has a solid lockup and doesn’t show any sign of wobble or looseness.   Several people thought that it was a fixed stock and didn’t realize that it folded.   I had to YouTube it to learn how to fold it when I first got it.   The mechanism to unlock it is interesting and takes just a bit of practice to do gracefully.

My next favorite is the Romanion Wire folder.   It has the cheek riser, and would be nearly useless (in my opinion) without it.   It locks open and closed and the mechanism to unlock is a small lever on the back of the hinge.   It is easy to do.   This stock has a very small amount of wobble and interesting harmonics when you shoot it.   Sometimes reminds me of a spring being bounced.   Not a bad stock and fits me well.

ACE Folder:   Background, I wasn’t willing to cut the tang on my rifle.   If I recall correctly cutting the tang would put me under 26” folded but I cannot say for certain that I was measuring that correctly as I didn’t have the folding mechanism to include in the measurements at the time.   Oh, and if my understanding is correct then the ATF measures overall length with the stock extended but I have heard repeatedly that Michigan measures with the stock collapsed/folded.   My measurements were close enough at the time that I didn’t want to take the chance.   Anyway, so with the ACE receiver block installed, ACE hinge mechanism, and ACE Skeleton Stock it was A) long and B) ugly, and C) had a tendency to loosen so I threw the parts into the drawer in case I ever decide to SBR a Draco.   For the short time that it was installed I did have an issue with the screws that hold the receiver block loosening and the stock falling off.   I suspect that a bit of loctite and proper torque would reduce the chances of that happening.   Again, just the hinge and the stock on a Draco might be a useful combination but on an unmodified WASR it left something to be desired.

Bonesteel folders are available from their website.   I did have to wait a couple of weeks but it was worth it.

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/Folding-Stocks_c10.htm

ACE parts are available from Cheaper Than Dirt.   Personally I don’t buy from them any more because of their business practices so I am not going to link to them.   They really screwed me on the ACE parts but that is another story.

Romanion Wire folders are available from a number of places.   Apex is a place that I bought mine.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/more/furniture/ak-furniture/romanian-ak-folding-stock-new.html

It would be a lot tougher to make a fixed stock rifle an underfolder.   So unless you have a lot of experience working with steel I wouldn’t even consider it.   Underfolders are also rather awkward to unfold.   Folding isn’t bad.

Short version:  I would buy a Bonesteel folder for a WASR.   It is a quality part that is easy to install.

Hope that helps.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.apexgunparts.com/more/furniture/ak-furniture/romanian-ak-folding-stock-new.html

i added one of these, simple process. i wrapped mine in paracord
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top