Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I have an older WASR 10/63 that was built during the time of canted sights. I'm not sure if that info really matters or if all WASR new and old production are the same. I am looking for a pistol grip to replace what is on my rifle. I do not and never have cared for the pistol grip on it.

I'm looking at the MagPul MOE pistol grips. My question is, will I have to modify anything for it fit? Is it a direct replacement part?

I have also thought about adding the MagPul handguards to the rifle. I like the longer version. I'm thinking I will run into problems with the longer handguard due tot he sling attachment. Is that true?

How about the stocks from MagPul will they fit with out modification?  

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi everyone, I have an older WASR 10/63 that was built during the time of canted sights. I'm not sure if that info really matters or if all WASR new and old production are the same. I am looking for a pistol grip to replace what is on my rifle. I do not and never have cared for the pistol grip on it.

I'm looking at the MagPul MOE pistol grips. My question is, will I have to modify anything for it fit? Is it a direct replacement part?

I have also thought about adding the MagPul handguards to the rifle. I like the longer version. I'm thinking I will run into problems with the longer handguard due tot he sling attachment. Is that true?

How about the stocks from MagPul will they fit with out modification?  

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.
View Quote

All AK furniture has to be fitted to the rifle. I'm not sure to what specs Magpul originally manufactures the Zhukov stock but my WASR-10 came with one (bought used). From my research in looking at wood furniture, the Romanians use a 32x31mm width receiver (size of the back of the receiver where te stock slides in), Russian and Bulgarian furniture is made to fit their receivers manufactured to a 32x32mm size. I had to sand down Bulgarian wood furniture to fit it but it wasn't too much trouble. I would imagine that Magpul in order to make their equipment fit the widest variety of rifles would manufacture the stock block to fit 32x32mm receivers. I also have used the shorter Magpul handguards (I believe due to the nature of the Zhukov forearm you have to use a cut wheel to take off the sling mount on  the handguard clamp) without much modification except for the handguard wedge that slides into the bottom of the front trunnion. Sorry for the long winded post but I hope it helps you with what you need to know. I'm also not entirely a newbie but rather a rookie to the AK platform so if I am incorrect on any of my terminologies or info I would appreciate correction from other users. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All AK furniture has to be fitted to the rifle. I'm not sure to what specs Magpul originally manufactures the Zhukov stock but my WASR-10 came with one (bought used). From my research in looking at wood furniture, the Romanians use a 32x31mm width receiver (size of the back of the receiver where te stock slides in), Russian and Bulgarian furniture is made to fit their receivers manufactured to a 32x32mm size. I had to sand down Bulgarian wood furniture to fit it but it wasn't too much trouble. I would imagine that Magpul in order to make their equipment fit the widest variety of rifles would manufacture the stock block to fit 32x32mm receivers. I also have used the shorter Magpul handguards (I believe due to the nature of the Zhukov forearm you have to use a cut wheel to take off the sling mount on  the handguard clamp) without much modification except for the handguard wedge that slides into the bottom of the front trunnion. Sorry for the long winded post but I hope it helps you with what you need to know. I'm also not entirely a newbie but rather a rookie to the AK platform so if I am incorrect on any of my terminologies or info I would appreciate correction from other users. 
View Quote
Hey no worries on the long post. It helped me out. I'm wondering now how much fitting I would have to do for the pistol grip. I hate the one that came on th rifle when I bought 10-12 years ago. I think I just need to buy one and see.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The pistol grip should not be too much trouble to replace.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My 2008-ish WASR has a Magpul grip on it - direct fit, no modifications required.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
for a pistol grip? probably nothing. The magpul moe grips are great, as are the rubber hogue grips. both of them are tied for my favorite pistol grip.

Just buy whichever one you want and toss it on. I SERIOUSLY doubt you will need to fit anything putting the grip on. In all the AK's I've owned, I've replaced all the grips and never had to do anything besides unscrew the old one and screw the new one on.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top