Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2022 10:47:55 AM EDT
Just curious if anyone is running a Vortex Huey on an AK. I have the optic on an AR and I am thinking about moving it to my Arsenal. I am running an Ultimak on the rifle, but I think it would be too far forward to be used and make the gun front heavy.

I was looking at the Fab Defense Dust cover as a mounting solution - but I am concerned about holding zero. Any pics and first-hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to run an eotech on a MI mount on a Saiga. Loved that setup but it was heavy. Solid and always returned to zero. I have a Huey on an AR and love it more than the eotech. I would not hesitate to put another Holosight on an AK again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sureshot Armament Group makes chassis systems. They're a little pricey, but look pretty solid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the responses.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend avoiding the Huey. I had one and the battery life just isn’t worth it. They don’t have clear glass like an EOTech and they have a fairly slow refresh rate. If you want a holographic, get an EOTech. Otherwise, get an Aimpoint or Holosun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend avoiding the Huey. I had one and the battery life just isn’t worth it. They don’t have clear glass like an EOTech and they have a fairly slow refresh rate. If you want a holographic, get an EOTech. Otherwise, get an Aimpoint or Holosun.
View Quote

You probably should have snet yours for warranty then. My UH-1 is better in every way than any of my eotechs.

Not everyone has eyes that play nice with simple red dots like aimpoint or holosun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Alternatively a Primary Arms prism sight like their cyclops is adjustable to your astigmatism and is usable even with no battery power. It probably weighs less than holographic sights too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You probably should have snet yours for warranty then. My UH-1 is better in every way than any of my eotechs.

Not everyone has eyes that play nice with simple red dots like aimpoint or holosun.
View Quote

I sold my Huey. The refresh rate is an internal thing, not dependent on eyesight. Pan rapidly back and forth while aiming at a wall and you should be able to see it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I sold my Huey. The refresh rate is an internal thing, not dependent on eyesight. Pan rapidly back and forth while aiming at a wall and you should be able to see it.
View Quote

Go back and read my reply then yours and tell me how the above quoted makes any sense.

Like I said, some folks work best with red dots and others Holosights. It's all how the light shines into your eyes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go back and read my reply then yours and tell me how the above quoted makes any sense.

Like I said, some folks work best with red dots and others Holosights. It's all how the light shines into your eyes.
View Quote

Refresh rate isn’t an eyesight issue. It’s a physical quality of the optic.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Refresh rate isn’t an eyesight issue. It’s a physical quality of the optic.
View Quote

It rough when you can't comprehend basic English. Now you are just wasting our time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It rough when you can't comprehend basic English. Now you are just wasting our time.
View Quote

You don’t know what refresh rate is
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
This guy has one on his AK. You could probably put one on a side rail also. I have EXPS-3s on two of my rifles and have zero time on the Huey.

Huey on an AK (Youtube Short)
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The UH-1 is an optic on my want to buy list. I will be getting one soon. I may put my Eotech 512 (waiting for it to show up today) on my AK. Maybe one of my Meprolight RDS Pro V2's. The Pro V2 has a crisp green reticle that works really well with my astigmatism.

I'm going to get a MI side rail to mount the optic. I know people are mounting Holosun HE515GM and HS515GM over the gas tube and doing it with no issues. I have a HS515GM but not sure I'll mount it to my AK, maybe, but not sure. I really like optics with a bigger field of view.

Now as far as heat goes for mounting an optic over the gas tube, I think the UH-1 would be find and survive that kind of heat. I think the best place to mount an optic on an AK is over the dust cover with a side rail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The UH-1 is an optic on my want to buy list. I will be getting one soon. I may put my Eotech 512 (waiting for it to show up today) on my AK. Maybe one of my Meprolight RDS Pro V2's. The Pro V2 has a crisp green reticle that works really well with my astigmatism.

I'm going to get a MI side rail to mount the optic. I know people are mounting Holosun HE515GM and HS515GM over the gas tube and doing it with no issues. I have a HS515GM but not sure I'll mount it to my AK, maybe, but not sure. I really like optics with a bigger field of view.

Now as far as heat goes for mounting an optic over the gas tube, I think the UH-1 would be find and survive that kind of heat. I think the best place to mount an optic on an AK is over the dust cover with a side rail.
View Quote

Gen 1 or gen 2 Huey? I really like my Gen 1 and miss the USB charging that was removed on the Gen 2.

Another thing to consider if you throw it on the gas tube is weight forward. Things felt better balanced with the optic over the dust cover, especially with the weight of a UH-1 or 512.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Gen 1 or gen 2 Huey? I really like my Gen 1 and miss the USB charging that was removed on the Gen 2.

Another thing to consider if you throw it on the gas tube is weight forward. Things felt better balanced with the optic over the dust cover, especially with the weight of a UH-1 or 512.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go with a Gen 2 and I would definitely mount it over the dust cover to try and balance the weight. I love the UH-1 and hope to get one soon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would go with a Gen 2 and I would definitely mount it over the dust cover to try and balance the weight. I love the UH-1 and hope to get one soon.
View Quote

Why gen 2 over gen 1. Best I can tell the biggest change is the delete of the ability to charge via USB. Once I run this last CR123 down I'm switching to rechargable in my Gen 1.

For 95% of us the NV comparability is moot. Gen 2 is barely lighter and little longer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top