Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/15/2020 5:56:43 PM EDT
I have a Valmet M76 in .308 but only very few mags for them.

Are there any other mags that work with minor alteration?

I've heard Galil mags can be made to work but I'm not familiar with exactly how or if that's even true.

Csspecs was talking about making some but that was years ago and doesn't appear to be happening.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
HK 91/G3 steel magazines are an easy conversion if you have access to milling machine and a welder.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that original early M78 / stamped receiver mags were actually made with mil spec G3 mag bodies and just stamped with a finish proof mark and sleeved the top differently with the front and rear lugs added.  I have 2 M78s .308s rifles and I have been toying with the idea of getting my local gunsmith to make a bunch of M78 mags using extra G3 mags I have for economies of scale and then sell a few for like $100 / piece to help off set the costs.

I thought that the M76 .308 guns used a completely different mag design which was not compatible with the M78 mags?  If that is the case, I am wondering if that compatibility issue would create a problem using G3 mags as a base.  If the M76 mag just uses a different lug profile and that is why the M78 mags dont work, then I would think that G3 mags would indeed be a good base.  It sucks that galil .308 mags are so expensive as that seems to be a costly substitute but I get that it is less expensive than M76 .308s.  

I am curious to see what you can find out.  I have personally stayed away from a few M76 .308s simply because I didnt want to deal with the mag issue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not have access to a mill or welder, which is unfortunate because I have milling and welding knowledge and steel G3 mags that I may be willing to experiment on.

Csspecs does make new .308 galil mags.  They aren't cheap but they are available.  I might try to make one of those work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you compared the dimensions of a factory M76 .308 mag to the G3s?  Are they the same?  One of my local FFLs is a Valmet guy and tends to find M76 .308s and sell at decent prices but I have passed on a bunch of them over the years.  A solution to the mag problem would be suburb.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top