Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:

Bless your heart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Why is the GD mindset oozing into the Tech forums?

Likewise the "needs hand held every step" mindset?

Bless your heart.

The fact remains, grease is grease, and you're overthinking it.  If you take offense to that, perhaps your heart needs the blessing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I also like using grease, regular old Lubriplate seems to work well for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So besides the rails are you greasing anything else? Between the bolt and carrier maybe?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:
So besides the rails are you greasing anything else? Between the bolt and carrier maybe?
View Quote

I grease the bolt stem and the camming lug & channel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I use high speed wheel bearing the red it shows up better, I live in Kolorado and go to the Mtns to shoot the cold hasn't bothered it so far. I use it on all my Ars, AK and pistols if it has a slide I use it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, Big old tub of red wheel bearing grease I got at Fleet farm for like $4. I'm set for life.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
all these fancy-schmancy greases.....i just use plain old red wheel bearing grease.  $5 for a big-assed tub at wal-mart.  
View Quote

This. I have been using some random tub of conventional automotive grease I found five years ago in the shed. Still have about 9/10 of the tub left and no issues.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I like grease above freezing and CLP/oil below....Another red grease fan too...I use EP bearing stuff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I use RIG grease painted on in a thin coat with a small brush. Never noticed any problems with separation of the ingredients either on the rifle or in the container. I have noticed the higher the ambient temperature the thinner the grease becomes, though it stays where you put it on the rifle. Used to use LSA-T but noticed that after a time it seemed to dry out to a wax-like consistency, so switched to RIG and haven't had any problems in over 5 yrs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Regular grease, NLGI #2, is too heavy for weapons use and could be a real drag in cold weather. TWB25 is excellent and so is Militech1 grease. I haven't tried Weapon Shield grease but I would bet it's good. Mr. Fennel knows the lubrication business. Actually I haven't been using grease lately in favor of Hornady 'One-Shot' cleaner/lube that dries to a waxy coating.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
After seeing Jim Fuller's video on it, I decided I'd give White Lithium Grease a try. I've previously used Slip2000 Extreme Weapon Grease.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By superbeast1098:
I used regular white lithium grease in my AK. Works like a charm, and its alot cheaper than products marketed towards gun owners.

View Quote

This for me too.  A tub is like 4 bux and never any issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
What's wrong with just oil if you are only putting about 200 rounds down range per session?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Newtopewpew:
What's wrong with just oil if you are only putting about 200 rounds down range per session?
View Quote

Nothing at all, provided it's the right kind of oil, i.e. It's not so light it's going to spray or burn off after 60 rounds or so nasty that it's going to gum up. Luckily most kinds of gun oil won't do either of those things.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried grease for the first time recently because of this thread and I can feel a difference after firing some rounds through it. I thought clean up was going to be an issue, but it wasn't. Thanks for bringing this up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Slip 2000 ewg and oil for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I used regular white lithium grease in my AK. Works like a charm, and its alot cheaper than products marketed towards gun owners.

View Quote

Yup. Until my tub ran out. Using some Super Tech hi pressure/hi temp (red) stuff right now. Working just as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Using white lithium grease on my AK. -40 to +250 temp range. I figure that's pretty good since I don't do mag dumps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#20]
Originally Posted By ESPOMAN:
So I took the recommendation from several people here and used grease for the first time on my AK. Wow what a difference. I could tell right away that everything was a lot smoother. Just felt like the BCG was riding on butter. I used Tetra gun grease. Highly recommend it.
View Quote

Yeah, I found grease to be much better suited for nearly every gun out there. If you can grease the rails or rotating items, grease works wonder. I'm unclear why people would use oil. You could buy an huge 16oz jug and it'll last you a life time for just 1 firearm. Just a small dab will work wonder for 1000s of rounds. With oil, a 16oz bottle would last you maybe a year or two if you're really careful and you can only shoot a few hundreds before having to relube.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Red and tacky wheel bearing grease for anything that goes boom.  People buying expensive gun lubes make me chuckle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I use TW25b almost exclusively in all of my weapons.  WI conditions.  -30 to 100F.   Never an issue.  It's the ONLY lube on my hunting and defensive weapons.  
  I previously used Lubriplate and White lithium on my M1, M1A, and AKs.   Found the TW25b to be MUCH better in weather below 0 degrees, and on my ARs in any weather.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Same here, the only lube I use anymore is TW25B and MC2500.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Robski has a video on cleaning and lubrication of the AK.
How to lubricate your AKM (AK47) and AK74 rifles.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Magnalube-G.  Very good thermal ratings.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Same here. As good or better than Tetra
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Not entirely sure what it is but I started using this stuff. I just noticed it expired this year but it's been stored with the lid closed. Maybe I need to start giving it away to friends haha.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#29]

This ^^^
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top