Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2020 12:26:24 AM EDT
Hey guys, I stopped by my local gun shop to pick up a Black Friday Geissele receiver and they just purchased a Tiger from a walk in.

I really don’t know much about them, other than they are rare and expensive. I went ahead an made an impulse buy and put a deposit down on the Tiger. Got it for 7 plus tax. Probably not stellar, but I don’t feel like I’m going to lose money on it as it appreciates.

From what I’ve gathered it’s been fired, but not too much. Other than a little paint missing behind the bolt it looks pretty amazing. All numbers match, 10 and a 5 round magazine, had a SVD FH w lug, optic cover, case, SVD cleaning kit, some batteries for the scope, etc.

Any info on this rifle would be great, I’m embarrassed to say I don’t really know what I have.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i don't know what they actually go for but you stole that OP
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I stopped by my local gun shop to pick up a Black Friday Geissele receiver and they just purchased a Tiger from a walk in.

I really don’t know much about them, other than they are rare and expensive. I went ahead an made an impulse buy and put a deposit down on the Tiger. Got it for 7 plus tax. Probably not stellar, but I don’t feel like I’m going to lose money on it as it appreciates.

From what I’ve gathered it’s been fired, but not too much. Other than a little paint missing behind the bolt it looks pretty amazing. All numbers match, 10 and a 5 round magazine, had a SVD FH w lug, optic cover, case, SVD cleaning kit, some batteries for the scope, etc.

Any info on this rifle would be great, I’m embarrassed to say I don’t really know what I have.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45749/98206C65-B8E1-48EC-A44D-2AEC9A7D2142_jpe-1290406.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45749/7F8E5FD9-396F-4851-8258-F45F7A8A5AF2_jpe-1290407.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45749/287CB3DD-5BC9-4713-87E7-77AB8DD89C30_jpe-1290408.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45749/77AF6D66-20F0-412C-BB97-314ABE58BF3D_jpe-1290409.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45749/9BF2B4C7-34FA-4CE1-9BE6-074489A0ECEB_jpe-1290411.JPG
View Quote
You got it for 7 what?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
P now has the coolest gun on the range.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You got it for 7 what?
View Quote
7k, not 700. I didn’t steel it, but I think it was a fair purchase to all parties.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Sold mine 15 yrs ago for 3500 Great shooter. Not sure on the going rate though
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Lord I regret not buying the non import. Nib svd a few years ago for $5000
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Price may be right on target... gunbroker has them at 7 to 14k... nice buy!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sold mine 15 yrs ago for 3500 Great shooter. Not sure on the going rate though
View Quote
The price is only going to climb, just like MGs as there is no more importation and it’s so iconic and limited. They also had a pair of matching almost perfect HK91 and 93, priced a bit high individually, but not bad as a matched pair. 7500.00.

Quoted:
Good Lord I regret not buying the non import. Nib svd a few years ago for $5000
View Quote
A read SVD would be double the cost if nice with accessories. You messed up man, too bad mulligans don’t work in real life.

Quoted:
Price may be right on target... gunbroker has them at 7 to 14k... nice buy!
View Quote
That was what I looked at. I realize those on GB had not sold, but they were in the ballpark. I took comfort knowing it should be an appreciating asset even if I paid a bit more than I needed to.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice purchase!

Thing to watch is the 7.62x54 ammo is highly corrosive. It's a must clean after every outing. Like still at the range kinda cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I'll likely only shoot non-corrosive out of it. I do however need to find some. I'm well supplied, but this is my first 54R, unfortunately I don't have a single round.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks awesome. As others have said, it will only go up in price. Stupid question: can you reload ammo for this? I am completely ignorant on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very nice purchase!

Thing to watch is the 7.62x54 ammo is highly corrosive. It's a must clean after every outing. Like still at the range kinda cleaning.
View Quote
Not true at all

I used to shoot metric shit tons of 54r surplus through my NDM86. It only rusts if the rifle is wet or you leave it in humid conditions for days

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice score OP

What does the other side of the receiver say? There were some super rare California Armory Tigers brought in that already had the SVD flash hider on them and a unique colored buttstock along with polymer HGs. They were highly coveted because they were imported in military configuration

The stock you have looks to be the same as the CA model but yours has laminate HGs

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very nice purchase!

View Quote

Just take a bottle of Windex with you to neutralize all the corrosive salts...hose it down really good, then clean at your leisure.  When I say hose it down really good, I mean Windex running out of everywhere...two or three times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice score OP

What does the other side of the receiver say? There were some super rare California Armory Tigers brought in that already had the SVD flash hider on them and a unique colored buttstock along with polymer HGs. They were highly coveted because they were imported in military configuration

The stock you have looks to be the same as the CA model but yours has laminate HGs

View Quote

I brought it home today.

The other side is smooth, doesn't say anything.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I HIGHLY recommend you get the adjustable gas regulator. It softens the recoil and beats up your receiver less. really easy to swap out as well.
If anything I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning it out spic and span everytime, but at least give it a good spray over with ballistol on the internals and barrel and gas chamber if you're shooting corrosive. Teh ballistol neutralizes the corrosive salts.
Great trigger, don't bother with the factory bipod (scratches the shit out of your receiver)
Look for four packs of 10 rounder magazines. its good to go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just take a bottle of Windex with you to neutralize all the corrosive salts...hose it down really good, then clean at your leisure.  When I say hose it down really good, I mean Windex running out of everywhere...two or three times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice purchase!

Respectfully this is terrible advice. If you must drench your weapon, all you need is water which is what Windex mostly is. There is no reason to have ammonia going into every nook and cranny of the SVD

Also respectfully but don't overthink about cleaning corrosive ammo. I have tried Windex, bathtubs, garden hoses, Hopps #9, hot water, soapy water, cold water, no water, Ballistol, CLP and all the other crazy shit you hear on the Internet

The only thing you need to do is wipe the corrosive residue off the gun. That's it. Anything that can take the residue off the gun takes away the corrosive salts with it...if the gun is clean because all the carbon is gone the salts went with the carbon

I live in wonderfully humid Houston and have been cleaning with only CLP for over 10 years now. That's it...only CLP. No water, no ballistol, nothing. Zero rust on any of my AKs or SVDs

So still respectfully, this isn't rocket science. Clean all the carbon off the weapon because the salts are in the carbon

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I brought it home today.

The other side is smooth, doesn't say anything.

View Quote
Interesting. Either way you have the same configuration as the Cali tiger, so nice job

Don't be afraid to shoot heavy ammo in it. There are a number of good loads commercially available. 182gr PPU Match is probably my favorite right now and gets a solid 2 MOA without any effort
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or just water.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
bumping this necrothread a little. it has the 300 meter rear sight so a sporter version. Says CAI on the right side so Century Arms Import..
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
One sold locally couple months ago for $8300. Unfired and looked like it just came off the production line. Real, real nice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One sold locally couple months ago for $8300. Unfired and looked like it just came off the production line. Real, real nice.
View Quote

you really should have bought it.  I just sold one of mine for North of $16,000
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

7k, not 700. I didn’t steel it, but I think it was a fair purchase to all parties.
View Quote

This is the reason I need to put together a binder with my gun stuff and what it is worth. If I kick the bucket I don't want my kids selling my stuff off for pennies on the dollar.

If my kids don't want to keep my Tiger it better pay for my grand kid's college some day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

you really should have bought it.  I just sold one of mine for North of $16,000
View Quote

A river is 16k now? Jesus I'm shaking.  That's a cheap machinengun right there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Insane is more like it.  I want one but for the few I have seen the timing was never right, the biggest kick in the nuts being a legit Drag at a PA gun show circa 1995 for $4K.  Same guy had a NIB Galil Sniper with the case etc. for $3.5K.  Might as well have been $100K back then I could not swing it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Neat guns and I regret not buying one of the NDM's from CDNN many years back.

Corrosive ammo is fine to use IF you clean the gun properly. Militaries have fired millions of rounds of it and the troops clean their weapons.
The Windex thing is a bit of internet lore because water dissolves corrosive salt quite well , especially with a dab of added soap to break surface tension.

Speed in corrosion is relative to relative humidity.

In a dry climate like out west you could fire a BP gun or corrosive ammo and the low humidity does not have enough moisture to accelerate the corrosion process.
I am in Ohio and when our humidity is high I always swap or wipe down my Sharps rifles with Balistol or regular soap and water before normal cleaning and never a problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
7k is a steal

I got a unfired California Armory that I would just snort and giggle if someone offered that price for it.

You did very very well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
7k is a steal

I got a unfired California Armory that I would just snort and giggle if someone offered that price for it.

You did very very well.
View Quote

North of 12,000 k with accessories?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Well gents I believe I’m going to be selling my TIGR, I’ve got another toy I’d like to move on. From what I’ve gathered it’s worth a bit more than I paid for it. What would you list it at?

Would starting it at 12 be too high?

Thanks,

Jerad

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top