Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/21/2022 11:21:05 PM EDT
Honestly I heard of this brand based on a TFB Review.

It's a Ukrainian Company

Material is Aluminum Alloy 6082 T66. Apparently its similar to the 6065 we are familiar with here. However the rail is nearly 2.5x as thick as say RS Regulate.

I was interested but wasn't a fan of the extra long length. A few months ago I was browsing 4shooters and found out they had a medium version.
However there were no pics of it mounted...

I was skeptical, and considered it a gamble honestly. I ended up pulling the trigger after a drunken night of too many hot totty's (Whiskey+ Hot water/lemon/honey) while recovering from the rona.

Not gonna lie, she thicc, and she chunky. This also means there is literally zero flex. Mounting a DBAL to this thing would work without an issue. It locks up tight, and due to tolerances you can adjust the front retainer portion with 2 M4 screws (Didnt come with mine, but I made a trip to the hardware store), turns out I didn't need them after all. I had to give my retainer lever a few smacks with a plastic mallet. The aesthetics arent for Combloc purists, but I think it looks nice on a more modern AK. Certainly feels great in the hand even without a VFG/Rail Cover. Im hoping to hit the range next weekend to see how much it heats up.

Sorry for the Potato Pics, I think its time for a new phone.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pros:
-Finish and Machining was A+ in my book. I do wish anodizing was an option, but the Cerakote is well done.
-Feels great in the hand, and has a decent amount of space away from the barrel, I can't wait to see how it heats up. It should run cool.
-Mounting hardware is excellent. Not once did I have to worry about any screw heads stripping. I was able to take the screws up to 30 in lbs with blue loctite. I don't think they will be budging. Included wrenches werent cheap either.
-Weighs 360 grams. That = 12.69 Oz, as a comparison a Zenitco B30+B19 weighs about 360g as well. Kinda lame I know since Zenitco has full Picatinny, while the Crook is M-Lok. Still it isn't too bad honestly.
-Type 2 M-Lok Rail Covers fit. Not all AK handguards are compatible with them.
-Straight forward install.
-Top Rail should cowitness most micro sights.
-Compatible with other top handguards, but the aesthetics wont quite match, For example this is kinda rounded; where the ultimak would be blocky.
-Threads are mostly steel helicoils inserted into the aluminum.
-Top rail is pretty solid.
-Should run pretty cool in theory
Negatives:
-I count 16 set screws. That is a negative to some. I torqued those suckers with a torque driver at 30 in lbs and used blue loctite.
-Unable to use cleaning rod (I spent $30 on a Jmac and can't use it )
-Instructions are online only. I found them on 4shooters website.
-No Torque Values Provided.

Comparisons:
-Similar Aesthetics to JL Billet/PSA, but the lock up/mounting is far more solid. Cost is about the same.
-Heavier than an RS Regulate+ Ultimak Combo Sadly. But the RS Regulate has a lot of flex IMO.  Ultimak+ RS Regulate will probably be 12 oz, however that does not include a gas tube. The standard gas tube is about 5 oz. So add 5 oz to the Crook or Zenitco setup)
-About equal in weight to a Zenitco B30 Setup with B19. Weighs less compared to a Zenitco B30 with full top rail. Zenitco does use less set screws however.
-No provision for Zenitco Style dust cover that connects to handguard. Unless they use M-Lok Slots to do it.

Price: $200 at 4shooters/Legion; cheaper if ordered from the Ukrain. Id rather pay more and buy from a U.S. Store.
Zenitco Costs More
RS Regulate Costs More
JL Billet Costs nearly the same.

They also make stocks which look like a nice Zenitco Alternative.
Link

AK Shown with full length handguard and stock.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice review! My buddy just ordered one of their stocks to try out in lew of zenitco being unobtainable right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty sweet. don't see myself using this over zenitco though
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pretty sweet. don't see myself using this over zenitco though
View Quote

True, but something to keep in mind.

First Zenitco Stocks were hit by sanctions/seized by customs. No telling what else is next from Russia imo.

Options are great.

Personally I wish a U.S. Company would just start making their own Zenitco style/compatible stuff in M-lok.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

True, but something to keep in mind.

First Zenitco Stocks were hit by sanctions/seized by customs. No telling what else is next from Russia imo.

Options are great.

Personally I wish a U.S. Company would just start making their own Zenitco style/compatible stuff in M-lok.
View Quote

I agree. But part of what makes zenitco so cool to me is it’s “battle tested”. You see a lot of special forces guys in Russia using it so I know they tested it out and found it wasn’t junk
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I like certain Zentico products like the P-3 stock but I always thought that the front rails etc. were too clunky / adding a lot of unnecessary weight for a gun that can be heavy (kinda like the russian version of the HK416 original rail).  There there is the fitment issues that have been reported.  I got a random email from Legion USA and tried the KPYK medium length rail on a SLR104.  I was very impressed with the fit / finish as well.  No fitting issues at all just bolted on like it was meant for it.  M-lok to boot so I am sold.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree. But part of what makes zenitco so cool to me is it’s “battle tested”. You see a lot of special forces guys in Russia using it so I know they tested it out and found it wasn’t junk
View Quote

Based on some photos I have seen. Krook is now battle tested.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Right.  I guess we will not be seeing more / new products for a while.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top