Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/2/2019 2:16:49 PM EDT
I realize there is a fair amount of gun show hate in GD so here's my gun show find of the year...so far.

It's an NVA type 1 as evidenced from the Star1 stamp. Perhaps 1963 mfg.

Numbers matching less the missing magazine, probably swapped out for some Tapco crapco at some point. There is a slight bulge in the barrel just above the bayonet but honestly I don't think it means much as it shoots pretty damn good considering. Anybody have an idea to remedy the bulge? I'll give it a range report if that would help. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The only real fix for a bulged barrel is to replace it, which probably isn’t worth doing on an SKS.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I would advise against doing anything to it other than a gentle cleaning and showing it off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only real fix for a bulged barrel is to replace it, which probably isn’t worth doing on an SKS.

AJ
View Quote
Yeah, this is a Vietnamese SKS, probably worth more than most of your guns combined
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This one sold for $2070 but it’s complete and has all matching numbers: https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1023/584/scarce-north-vietnamese-production-sks-semiautomatic-rifle

Bulged bore is a problem for a collector but the missing mag is probably more a concern as a collectible.

AJ
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry but “rare”...... not sure what that Star is worth but I’d put my letter prefix 4 digit matching triangle26 in the front of it ..... a true type56.   Yours could fall in that category..... it’s a Huge bag of marble mystery...    yours is surely gorgeous   I didn’t pay $320 several years ago for mine including Hand Select!!  On same order my bud got a five digit matching  “ghost”

We both very happy!!
H
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it have an import mark or is it a bring back
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry but “rare”...... not sure what that Star is worth but I’d put my letter prefix 4 digit matching triangle26 in the front of it ..... a true type56.   Yours could fall in that category..... it’s a Huge bag of marble mystery...    yours is surely gorgeous   I didn’t pay $320 several years ago for mine including Hand Select!!  On same order my bud got a five digit matching  “ghost”

We both very happy!!
H
View Quote
Ever see a  Chicom made People's Republic Of Bangladesh Army SKS?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope!

Have No idea what that is if it exits or what one would be worth

All I know is this guy has a beautiful early sks specimen...... my K7979 triangle 26 makes ME very happy .....so it’s All Good!

H
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope!

All I know is this guy has a beautiful early sks specimen...... my K7979 triangle 26 makes ME very happy .....so it’s All Good!

H
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope!

H
I have one.

Relatively rare SKSs are fun
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have one.

Relatively rare SKSs are fun
View Quote
Agreed... it was fun and I did shoot it with zero issue. Then one day a fellow offered me a Polytech M14S for a straight up trade...I like that too!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Get Ballistol spray if you don't already have some - it is simply the best for old guns with wood and bluing. The Ballistol in the non-spray can is also good but it doesn't have the cleaning power of the spray because of the thinning solvents. Both are great for AKs and SKS's and in a water emulsion make the greatest corrosive ammo/black powder cleaner/treatment under the sun. In fact, if you don't use it for anything else, at least make an emulsion of at least 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water and wash the entire gun with it as soon as you one with an unknown ammo history - corrosive salts can last for decades. Wash it inside and out, take the bolt apart, do the bore, gas tube, gas block, just everything. After it dries out use the straight Ballistol for your CLP and the gun is cleaned and protected.
I had been using some hi-tech stuff on my AK and it just wasn't feeling as snappy as usual so after shooting at the range last time I used Ballistol on it - man, what a difference.
You can wet the wood with all you want. It lightly cleans all materials and is an excellent wood treatment. My AMD65 has the blonde wood grips which have no finish - just oiled wood - Ballistol is perfect for them. I let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it with a clean cloth.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top