Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2021 9:43:45 AM EDT
According to the Gun digest write up, (and the other info out there) everything is in order as far as permits, property and everything else including the machinery to set up and start a new plant here in this country.
However as we have been shown many times in the past a simple NO from the puppet in charge at this time can derail that plan by forcing it to court where it can sit for the duration of this puppets term if not longer.

We also need to take into account the company's who are ruling this countries ammo supply at this time. They may not like an "upstart" company trying to cut into their $$$ action.
I think i will just sit back and warm up the popcorn.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The reason ammunition from former Communist countries is so cheap is:

1. Installed industrial base & supply chain designed for war production.

2:  Cheaper labor.

3.  No concern about liability.

And (at least previously & maybe now) war stocks.

Can this be replicated?  

Its going to cost more.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its going to cost more.
View Quote

Also need to factor in getting the ammo here… which shipping usually costs when weight goes up (lead bullets). Duty comes into play as well.

While I’m not saying we are going to get back down to 1990s price per round… it should fill the void enough that other Eastern European countries can increase production and get a similar quantity stateside.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Also need to factor in getting the ammo here which shipping usually costs when weight goes up (lead bullets). Duty comes into play as well.

While I'm not saying we are going to get back down to 1990s price per round it should fill the void enough that other Eastern European countries can increase production and get a similar quantity stateside.
View Quote
That just reinforces my point.

Think how cheap x-ComBlock ammo is at point of origin that it can be so less expensive here.

Any domestically produced 7.62x39mm is going to approach Winchester prices - if not exceed it when production costs are factored in.

And what Eastern European countries are you pinning your hopes on?  Ukraine?  Serbia? Slovak Republic?   Every one else is going NATO (5.56 & 7.62 NATO)

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Price will depend on the cost of the components (bullets, cases, primers, powder).

If they import the components on the cheep and assemble here it could be very inexpensive.

If they source all components in the states it will as expensive as Winchester etc.

If they get the equipment to make all components that could be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The more domestic production the better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Has PSA actually said if it’s gonna be steel case or brass 7.62x39?
I’ve always assumed steel but haven’t seen it in writing.
I doubt it’ll be as cheap as imported stuff, more likely just so they can have it in the store to sell with the PSA logo, and if they’re selling AKs, it probably helps to be able to say they make their own so don’t walk away cause someone said ‘import ban’
And who knows, maybe this is just PSA’s first plunge into making ammo in other calibers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
^^ AAC is indeed one of PSA's new company's. If I remember correctly importing components are still covered under those form 6. So once all those imports run out, no more  would come form the "bad" countries.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has PSA actually said if it’s gonna be steel case or brass 7.62x39?
I’ve always assumed steel but haven’t seen it in writing.
(snip)
And who knows, maybe this is just PSA’s first plunge into making ammo in other calibers.
View Quote

PSA posted some teaser photos on their FB AK Owners group of their ammo production line. They responded to comments / questions by saying that they will start offering steel cased 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 in 2023. They are going to produce brass cased 9mm and 5.56 first, because those are the two calibers in highest demand right now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not banking on tomorrow,stock up NOW, it's still out there in abundance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

PSA posted some teaser photos on their FB AK Owners group of their ammo production line. They responded to comments / questions by saying that they will start offering steel cased 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 in 2023. They are going to produce brass cased 9mm and 5.56 first, because those are the two calibers in highest demand right now.
View Quote

Hopefully the 9 and 556 brass become reasonable again and the x39 is still available for relatively cheap for at least the short term.

I was stacking when I could and still buying but work has slowed down and I have time to shoot often and it goes fast
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Im looking forward to it. They've been pricing their 9mm at $15.99 a box, which while not great, is better than most. Better yet, it's usually available.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Has PSA indicated if the steel case will be Berdan or Boxer primed?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope they are Boxer.

No reason to set up a new plant and use anything else.

Yes I know Berdan is a fraction of a cent cheaper to make, but Boxer primed steel cases work great for reloading and are much easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope they are Boxer.

No reason to set up a new plant and use anything else.

Yes I know Berdan is a fraction of a cent cheaper to make, but Boxer primed steel cases work great for reloading and are much easier to deal with.
View Quote

Besides, I would think it would be cheaper for them to produce fewer primer variations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]
They said they got all the tooling for the steel case stuff from a closed Eastern block plant.  I would bet it will not be boxer since all of that would have originally been berdan.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
At least there will be a stable source here in the US, the salad days of cheap plentiful ammo are just a fading memory.
There was a time in the 50's-60's when surplus US ammo was cheap, guys would leave piles of Garand clips wherever they landed since there were tons more in the warehouses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Steel cased ammo being manufactured in Tula at about the 13 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-axXJ3BIg
View Quote

Nice to see them using ballistic gel instead of political prisoners.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has PSA indicated if the steel case will be Berdan or Boxer primed?
View Quote

If they can't make it for 40cpr or less as non-reloadable, then there is no point in doing it.

We can get 50cpr reloadable brass now.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top