Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 10:07:03 AM EDT
Hey folks!

Finally got around to hunting down a dong grip in the EE, and think I'm closing in on finalizing my first AK setup with my WASR :)

http://imgur.com/a/WzGf44E

However my big question is do I want to scrounge around for a laminate upper HG to match my dong grip, or get one of the "cheese grater" uppers? I really enjoy the look and contrast of the cheese grater, however I also like to have my support thumb ride high.

Any thoughts/experiences with the grater? Or is it just a cool looking thumb burner?

Only other thought I may have is if I wanna swap the US Palm style grip for a dark bakelite.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Its your gun, but I stand in the camp that says don't AR your AK.

Unless of course you are going to add a NC star bipod, laser, flashlight combo then yes do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't do much but burn your hand
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redoubt99:
Its your gun, but I stand in the camp that says don't AR your AK.

Unless of course you are going to add a NC star bipod, laser, flashlight combo then yes do it.
View Quote

Dear god no! Haha

I'm trying to keep this WASR in the middle ground of traditional, with some modern practicality. The circle 10 triangle stock is awesome, and easy shooting unlike some of the more angular but traditional triangles. And the US Palm style grips are insanely comfortable.

Okay! My main concern was burning of the support hand (though I do wear gloves much of the time). Eh if I find one for cheap, maybe. But if anything I could probably grab both for relatively inexpensive and just experiment to see what I like.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
To each their own...with that said, I would stay with the laminate one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dear god no! Haha

I'm trying to keep this WASR in the middle ground of traditional, with some modern practicality. The circle 10 triangle stock is awesome, and easy shooting unlike some of the more angular but traditional triangles. And the US Palm style grips are insanely comfortable.

Okay! My main concern was burning of the support hand (though I do wear gloves much of the time). Eh if I find one for cheap, maybe. But if anything I could probably grab both for relatively inexpensive and just experiment to see what I like.

Thanks guys
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its your gun, but I stand in the camp that says don't AR your AK.

Unless of course you are going to add a NC star bipod, laser, flashlight combo then yes do it.

Dear god no! Haha

Thanks guys
I think he thought you meant picatinny rails and not the vented handguard

I want one
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By StealthCRF:
I think he thought you meant picatinny rails and not the vented handguard

I want one
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80041/DamagePhotoSwiss1__83280_1546508524_jpg-1401183.JPG
View Quote

Good possibility
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The gun looks good so far, but why the "cheese grater" handguard? I see people go crazy if these. What is the appeal? What purpose do they serve other than looks?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
The gun looks good so far, but why the "cheese grater" handguard? I see people go crazy if these. What is the appeal? What purpose do they serve other than looks?
View Quote

Primarily for looks/more rustic aesthetic than tactical. That, and it supposedly allows for better ventilation.

My primary concern was burning my thumb lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
The gun looks good so far, but why the "cheese grater" handguard? I see people go crazy if these. What is the appeal? What purpose do they serve other than looks?
View Quote

It does look cool and probably helps the gas tube stay a tiny bit cooler.

I had one on an SKS years ago and after a few mags it would be so hot that it made the entire handguard area useless to hold/carry the rifle. All of the heat from the gas tube transfers directly to it
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I would imagine so, normally I dont tend to mag dump but it would be something to consider
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't mag dump often, but I often double or triple tap some on mags. I have a cheese grater on my go-to Wasr and I think it helps keep the barrel a bit cooler.

Any time you keep the barrel cooler you likely extend the life of the barrel a bit. I have no idea how much. I also like the look.

Nice thing is cheese graters are inexpensive, at least mine was, and they are easy to change if you decide you don't like it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe Rob Ski has these at AK Operators Union Local 47-74 store.  That’s where I got mine.  I like them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Khyber Customs has them for $30. PSA has them for $25
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
They are nice upper handguards. Also if you do want to add a light Im sure you can mount a Picatinny rail to it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mancat:
They don't do much but burn your hand
View Quote

Have you actually experienced that or just assuming?

The truth is, it does not get hot. Your fingers will be safe. We've tried this on full auto fire. You can practically lick the metal immediately after pumping 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you actually experienced that or just assuming?

The truth is, it does not get hot. Your fingers will be safe. We've tried this on full auto fire. You can practically lick the metal immediately after pumping 300 rounds.
View Quote

How does this piece defy the laws of physics and conductivity?  I cant imagine it dissipates heat so quickly that it never gets hot to the point of burning you.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How does this piece defy the laws of physics and conductivity?  I cant imagine it dissipates heat so quickly that it never gets hot to the point of burning you.  I could be wrong.
View Quote

I had my doubts too, until the grater got licked with everything around it smoking.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t put my thumb on it cause I shoot with my irons a lot
Even when I run it with an RDS and wood upper I dont wrap
my thumb cause it’s second nature not to.
To each his own

I switch the uppers out from time to time

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I had my doubts too, until the grater got licked with everything around it smoking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant find that video, but I know I seen it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn’t get hot and he licks it

Here’s the vid

Chinese Cheese Grater defies physics

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It doesn’t get hot and he licks it

Here’s the vid

Chinese Cheese Grater defies physics

View Quote

Lol, yep. I was there when that video was taken.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They are nice upper handguards. Also if you do want to add a light Im sure you can mount a Picatinny rail to it.
View Quote

I got Kyber Custom's "slotted" cheese grater  specifically for that reason and MLok nuts fit perfectly
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesomeness
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don’t put my thumb on it cause I shoot with my irons a lot
Even when I run it with an RDS and wood upper I dont wrap
my thumb cause it’s second nature not to.
To each his own

I switch the uppers out from time to time

https://i.imgur.com/5SY7CSq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gzHbRH7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SvasHUa.jpg

View Quote

I have no idea what make that AK is but I love it!

Also to add, I made a Cheese Grater-ish hand guard for a M70AB2 out of one those aftermarket metal top halves for a M1 carbine.

Works pretty good. I haven’t burned any digits yet.

I appreciate the Cheese Grater look on AK’s .
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top