Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2020 8:00:52 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
It’s a bit cheaper and lighter than a B&T handguard ama is really like optic options and/or ways to mount my stuff on the handguard.
I have a SAR kit and barrel coming and I know I’ll probably have to mess with the piston. Sureshot includes a AK type piston.

I might be looking at a lot of trouble aside from the piston because the SAR has a shorter gas tube and I’ll probably have to cut a $350 handguard.

The heart wants what it wants tho’ and I’m not afraid of chopping it or going KNS piston if I have to.

TL:DR
I want M-Lok on a Galil SAR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know about this model, thanks for sharing.

Chopping back a nice hand guard like that seems kinda iffy to me.

Have you considered an MI or RS Regulate model (for ACE) and measured to see if you can modify one of them instead? I know the front end of the receiver is different, but...

What we really need is someone to order 3-4 of these hand guard models out there, and measure/compare against original and ACE dimensions, so we finally know what mods are the least involved to do. There are tons of ACE-ACE and original-original videos out there, but very few that bother to measure anything.

For example, isn't the original front HG retainer in the same spot as the ACE front HG screw ferrule? It looks like it's pinned in the exact same spot. Then all one has to figure out is how to adapt the back end of the aftermarket HGs to fit an original receiver. Might be a chop, might be an adapter block, but I don't have any in-hand to find the easiest path.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It appears that the SAG MLOK HG uses some kind of barrel-clamped mounting block. If you could copy just that piece somehow, you might be able to use an MI or RSR HG without further modification. But then it all depends on how the stuff on the front end lines up.

Oh and if you are paying someone to do that, then it seems easier to me to just bite the bullet and pony up for the B&T. Yes it's pic rail, but it's sure to fit and doesn't require any additional parts or modifications.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears that the SAG MLOK HG uses some kind of barrel-clamped mounting block. If you could copy just that piece somehow, you might be able to use an MI or RSR HG without further modification. But then it all depends on how the stuff on the front end lines up.

Oh and if you are paying someone to do that, then it seems easier to me to just bite the bullet and pony up for the B&T. Yes it's pic rail, but it's sure to fit and doesn't require any additional parts or modifications.
View Quote

The B&T was the first one I looked at.
If I have to, I’ll go that route.
I don’t have an ACE to compare to and my Galil is a pile of parts at the moment.
I may just bite the bullet, order the sureshot and see if Jeff Miller can massage it into there for me.
When my barrel gets in I’ll do some test fitting and see what’s up.

A SAR with a railed gas tube and M-Lok would be my first choice, and the sureshot is cheaper than the B&T but I can do that if the sureshot model can’t be shoehorned on.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top