Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 4:31:36 PM EDT
Doing some research on a can for my AKP, and I can’t seem to find any with M24x1.5 thread AND a 7.62mm bore size.  Does anyone know of one that will work?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/sf3p-762-m24x1-5-surefire-3-prong-flash-hider-for.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/sf3p-762-m24x1-5-surefire-3-prong-flash-hider-for.html
View Quote

Awesome, what suppressor would you recommend with that device?  I’ve been seeing the Wolverine as a solid candidate
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Double post
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Awesome, what suppressor would you recommend with that device?  I’ve been seeing the Wolverine as a solid candidate
View Quote
You would need to use a compatible surefire suppressor with that muzzle device.

The dead air Wolverine is a direct thread option.  I have that on a Draco Pistol.  Only concern with using that for an AK pistol is making sure the AK doesn't beat itself to death.  Might require modding with a KNS gas piston.  Not sure if the PSA AK-Ps are compatible with KNS gas pistons.  Seems as though the GF3s may not be based on other threads.

Alternatively you can get an adapter like this one:
https://www.griffinarmament.com/24x1-5mm-suppressor-mount-thread-adapter/

And use whatever suppressor you like that comes in a standard thread pitch.

Or go with the JMAC muzzle brake that's compatible with a host of "Omega" thread suppressors.  Won't be all that QD though.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/rrd-2c-24f-x37-jmac-customs

You might also be able to get the threads chopped off the gas block and get the underlying barrel threaded 1/2x28.  Not as many .30 cal suppressor compatible muzzle devices threaded for that as 5/8x24, but still more than 24x1.5.

Do you own any other suppressors or would this be your first?  Suppressing AKs can take a bit of work and requires some expectation management relative to bolt actions or even ARs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You would need to use a compatible surefire suppressor with that muzzle device.

The dead air Wolverine is a direct thread option.  I have that on a Draco Pistol.  Only concern with using that for an AK pistol is making sure the AK doesn't beat itself to death.  Might require modding with a KNS gas piston.  Not sure if the PSA AK-Ps are compatible with KNS gas pistons.  Seems as though the GF3s may not be based on other threads.

Alternatively you can get an adapter like this one:
https://www.griffinarmament.com/24x1-5mm-suppressor-mount-thread-adapter/

And use whatever suppressor you like that comes in a standard thread pitch.

Or go with the JMAC muzzle brake that's compatible with a host of "Omega" thread suppressors.  Won't be all that QD though.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/rrd-2c-24f-x37-jmac-customs

You might also be able to get the threads chopped off the gas block and get the underlying barrel threaded 1/2x28.  Not as many .30 cal suppressor compatible muzzle devices threaded for that as 5/8x24, but still more than 24x1.5.

Do you own any other suppressors or would this be your first?  Suppressing AKs can take a bit of work and requires some expectation management relative to bolt actions or even ARs.
View Quote

That’s some great info, thank you very much!  This will be my first suppressor, so your words of warning at the end are very helpful.  I also have a Scorpion Micro, so maybe it makes more sense to suppress that before my AKP
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Surefire was/is just one option....I have no direct experience with SF cans.
the Wolverine is, as you say, a solid candidate at least by reputation...I have 2 Dead Air cans and am pleased with them
the Wolverine just takes a different insert in order to run 25x1.5
see here
https://deadairsilencers.com/product/wolverine-pbs-1-thread-inserts/
Finding a Wolverine in stock or the insert may be difficult right now as they just revamped their manufacturing and still aren't up to speed yet from what I understand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Surefire was/is just one option....I have no direct experience with SF cans.
the Wolverine is, as you say, a solid candidate at least by reputation...I have 2 Dead Air cans and am pleased with them
the Wolverine just takes a different insert in order to run 25x1.5
see here
https://deadairsilencers.com/product/wolverine-pbs-1-thread-inserts/
Finding a Wolverine in stock or the insert may be difficult right now as they just revamped their manufacturing and still aren't up to speed yet from what I understand.
View Quote
They should be getting stuff out pretty soon.  They appear to have terminated their manufacturing relationship with BPI Outdoors, and are using KGMADE now.  I bought a new batch Dead Air Wolfman from them last week and the manufacturer is KGMADE.  Thought that was interesting.  Didn't realize they had enough capacity for their own stuff and Dead Air.  Maybe Dead Air is working with different vendors on different product lines?

At any rate, the Wolverine or an Omega-compatible Suppressor with the JMAC muzzle brake are both the easy answer.  At least it's a PSA and you can be relatively confident that barrel is concentric.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
CONFIRM this info before proceeding.

It is my understanding that dead air muzzle devices have a .30 cal exit bore diameter even if they are threaded 1/2X28.  So, if you do go that route, it should work out just fine.

CONFIRM that information before proceeding!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is my understanding that dead air muzzle devices have a .30 cal exit bore diameter even if they are threaded 1/2X28.  So, if you do go that route, it should work out just fine.

View Quote
Dead Air 1/2 x 28 brakes are for sure .30 cal, don't know about flash hiders.  Rugged has a 1/2x28 .30 cal option available for the 3 port brake as well as the regular sized R3 7.62 flash hider .  Griffin has multiple .30 cal+ 1/2x28 options.  They are never in stock but the Q cherry bomb muzzle devices are also .30 cal 1/2x28.

1/2x28 .30 cal devices are pretty common these days, probably due to the increased popularity hunting with suppressed guns.  Typically you can't get a thinner barrel profile like you'd see on most hunting rifles threaded to 5/8x24, which is generally the same problem you'd have with an AK barrel, so gunsmiths will do 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I am planning on a DA Wolverine for mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Wolverine on my WBP Lynx AK47 SBR (previously pistol). Can confirm, they do offer a thread adapter for your needs.

Wolverine Thread Insert

Also, if KNS doesn't make a rod and you need one, you CAN modify your existing piston. Best case, it works. Worst case, you fuck it up and get a new one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Wolverine on my WBP Lynx AK47 SBR (previously pistol). Can confirm, they do offer a thread adapter for your needs.

Wolverine Thread Insert

Also, if KNS doesn't make a rod and you need one, you CAN modify your existing piston. Best case, it works. Worst case, you fuck it up and get a new one.
View Quote

Whoa... don’t know if I’m ballsy enough to modify the piston depending on how much you mess with.  Any links to a tutorial?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Sandman series are all 30 caliber cans. The QD mount can be either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 and either brake or flash hider. You can buy 556 endcaps but they don't ship with them

OP if the AKP has a 24x1.5 FSB you can buy a Griffin 24x1.5 to 5/8x24 adapter, check your concentricity and rock on. I've done that with a few 7.62 AKs including my Tiger with custom 24x1.5 FSB. Your suppressor mount of choice attaches to the 5/8x24 side of the Griffin and you're GTG

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Sandman series are all 30 caliber cans. The QD mount can be either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 and either brake or flash hider. You can buy 556 endcaps but they don't ship with them

OP if the AKP has a 24x1.5 FSB you can buy a Griffin 24x1.5 to 5/8x24 adapter, check your concentricity and rock on. I've done that with a few 7.62 AKs including my Tiger with custom 24x1.5 FSB. Your suppressor mount of choice attaches to the 5/8x24 side of the Griffin and you're GTG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20190722_193902-1026480.jpg

https://zenphotos.net/zenPhotos/File/Online/SVD/tactical/Mini4_AAC-51t_Brakeout2_Griffin24mAdapter.jpg
View Quote

I really appreciate this!  Picked up the Griffin adapter, so now saving up for a can.  Will give an update once I make the leap
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top