Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2021 8:50:06 PM EDT
Kind of a crazy question given the options out there nowadays. However, some of us bought these things damn year 20 years ago and, after using them and reading the Henderson Defense threads, have come to realize that these are actually pretty robust rifles.

I'd like to use mine for yote blasting, which means it needs a can. Have any of you successfully suppressed one of these? Planning to use a Hybrid with keymo mount so concentricity is less of an issue with the humongous bore.

Pics and experiences? Rethreading mandatory? If you do cut it down, how short would you go? Adjustable piston required to fix the overgassed to hell nature of the platform?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a thread adapter and a hybrid on mine without any piston change. I don't shoot it much and wanted to try it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a wasr and a hybrid. Tagged for input.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a thread adapter and a hybrid on mine without any piston change. I don't shoot it much and wanted to try it.
View Quote

Is it stupid? Does it work? Inquiring minds want to know...what thread adapter?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pics and experiences? Rethreading mandatory? If you do cut it down, how short would you go? Adjustable piston required to fix the overgassed to hell nature of the platform?
View Quote

I suppressed my MAK90 - picture is in the AK thread at the top of the page (though without the can). I cut down to 13.7", which was as short as I could pin and still keep it to 16.1". If you cut it down I'd go ahead and add a DAG13 adjustable gas block to help reduce gas in the system, I'm not sold on the idea of adjusting the gas at the piston instead of restricting it at the tap (gas port).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suppressed my MAK90 - picture is in the AK thread at the top of the page (though without the can). I cut down to 13.7", which was as short as I could pin and still keep it to 16.1". If you cut it down I'd go ahead and add a DAG13 adjustable gas block to help reduce gas in the system, I'm not sold on the idea of adjusting the gas at the piston instead of restricting it at the tap (gas port).
View Quote

Looks awesome, how does it run with the barrel chopped down?

I'm wondering if I can get away with factory gas and an adjustable piston even if it's not ideal. Again, this is a cheap ammo shitcan blaster versus a precision instrument
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Like a cheetah on crack. In theory you can cut it all the way down and just stack the gas block and front sight base in front of each other, I've seen plenty of those. I just wanted adjustable gas at the gas port instead of in the piston. The KNS has lots of satisfied customers, I don't think it's a "bad" option it's just not the option I wanted to go with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot my WASR suppressed all of the time

No modifications needed...but I handload my own subs

I use this Griffin Armament adapter with a QD brake for a SilencerCo Omega

I suppress all of my AKs, so it was worth it for me to buy this to check concentricity: Geissele Alignment Rod

Unfortunately, none of this might help you very much because the key is getting the right recipe for the subs

Brown Bear subs work as well if you can find any
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a wasr, but I've suppressed a bulgarian arsenal rifle and a wbp pistol. Both are hosts for nomad-L w/ keymo. Something like a 9mm can or a wolverine would be even more forgiving of alignment issues but it might not be necessary.

• Arsenal was a project based on a ban-era gun with no muzzle threads. I had CW Gunwerks put on an adjustable gas block and thread it 1/2 28 and pin/weld a keymo flash hider. Turned out concentric and the gun is pretty much perfect. 122/154/196 gr projectiles all produce very different pressures at the gas port. 196 = setting 3, 154 = setting 5, 196 = setting 7.  This gun has slightly less than normal barrel past the gas block (it's basically a 13.7 plus muzzle device)

• WBP was a gun with a welded on muzzle nut which I dremeled off and replaced with a JMAC 14x1 keymo brake. This also turned out concentric with no mods and I've shot it a bunch of times. 122 is reliable but smoky, 154 feels perfect and 196 is a bit on the weak side in terms of ejection force. Keep in mind there is like an inch of barrel past the gas block.  

My takeaway from these projects was that:
Any AK can be suppressed, just use a bore rod to verify.
Best results will be with adjustable gas block, especially if you plan to use a bunch of different loads and want things dialed in perfect with each one.
Getting a muzzle device timed perfectly on an AK works best if you have a machine shop do the fitting.
Considering the effort involved (ie pressing stuff in and out vs pulling pins and swapping in an upper on an AR) and the relatively low cost of new AK barrels, I don't think there is much of a downside to pinning/welding on AKs.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top