Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 3:50:28 AM EDT
My buddy coming to visit me, I've added him to the trust and going to send him home with a can I don't use as a suprsie.  It's DT so what you guys recommend for thread convesions? from 14x1mm L to  5/8-24 seen a few ones some say suppressor okay some say dont.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not used this particular Griffin adaptor but their 24x1.5 works extremely well and I have about 7 of those on various rifles. I would expect this to be similar quality and would personally buy if I needed it
https://www.silencershop.com/griffin-14x1lh-to-5-8x24-adaptor.html

I have no experience with this and don't endorse them, but the description matches your problem also

https://www.silencercentral.com/products/thread-adapter-m14x1-lh-to-5-8x24/

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Which can? Suppressing an AK is not that simple and almost no cans are going to be threaded to fit an AK thread pattern.

I went with keymo conversions on all my AKs using either 1/2 28 or 14x1LH threaded adapters.

Doing 5/8 24 threads on an AK barrel is almost impossible because the barrels aren't thick enough OD. 1/2 28 works fine though.

Also, check concentricity before you shoot. Many AKs are not concentric.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which can? Suppressing an AK is not that simple and almost no cans are going to be threaded to fit an AK thread pattern.

I went with keymo conversions on all my AKs using either 1/2 28 or 14x1LH threaded adapters.

Doing 5/8 24 threads on an AK barrel is almost impossible because the barrels aren't thick enough OD. 1/2 28 works fine though.

Also, check concentricity before you shoot. Many AKs are not concentric.

View Quote
Did you read Zens post?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Also be careful when doing LH to RH type adapters.

-------------- -------------  -------------------------------
barrel     \\\\  adapter //////      suppressor
-------------- -------------  -------------------------------

When you tighten the suppressor on to the gun with the RH threads, you are loosening the adapter from the barrel.

You basically need to tighten and rocksett them each independently of one another with wrenches. It's very easy for it to go horribly wrong.

just FYI.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a kns adapter with my sico hybrid
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you read Zens post?
View Quote

Yeah I did read it but suppressing an AK is not as easy as stacking adapters. Even assuming it is concentric (a big if) you still have to ensure they don't come loose.

I personally feel don't feel completely safe mounting stuff on AKs unless it's a locking taper mount that is pinned/welded in place after being checked for straightness with a bore rod. Having threads loosen when you start shooting and everything heats up is very common and easy to miss even on rimfires and pistol cans let alone centerfire rifle cans.

Doubly so when you can't just crank the can tighter to fix the problem. What makes the can and the adapter tighter/looser is the opposite on a LH threaded gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree generically speaking AKs can be tricky to suppress, but we know the gun and the thread pitch situation from the OP. That takes most of the random risk out of the equation. Griffin makes a quality product designed for AKs and suppressors and they know and understand their market and the rifles

He should only need to loc-tite the Griffin adaptor and the can itself in place and make sure the direct thread insert in the can itself (if it uses an insert, some don't) is secure, and of course when the can is mounted it passes the rod test. I've used other Griffin 24x1.5 adaptors on 7 AKs and it really is as simple as getting the right adaptor in place and passing the rod test (because Griffin makes good stuff. All bets are off with other random thread pitch changers)

OP use caution at each step, but if everything is locked down with thread locker and the rifle passes the rod concentricity test you should be GTG

eta: ZhouBaiDin's points are good advice overall, just maybe not specific to the OP's situation, but very true for AKs in general
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I did read it but suppressing an AK is not as easy as stacking adapters. Even assuming it is concentric (a big if) you still have to ensure they don't come loose.

I personally feel don't feel completely safe mounting stuff on AKs unless it's a locking taper mount that is pinned/welded in place after being checked for straightness with a bore rod. Having threads loosen when you start shooting and everything heats up is very common and easy to miss even on rimfires and pistol cans let alone centerfire rifle cans.

Doubly so when you can't just crank the can tighter to fix the problem. What makes the can and the adapter tighter/looser is the opposite on a LH threaded gun.
View Quote

Zen, wanna post that pic of all the suppressed AKs?

ETA: I asked, because Zen pretty much has tried it all, so if he endorses something, even with a caveat, it may be worth listening to.

"When E.F. Zen talks, everyone listens." Just dated myself there
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a kns adapter with my sico hybrid
View Quote
Do they make a 14x1 to 5/8x24? I'm heavily invested in KeyMo and 24x1.5 FSB AK74s, so I haven't paid attention to all the players in the 14x1 game
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't disagreed with anything Zen has said, I just don't think doing LH to RH adapters is smart if you're doing more than firing off a few shots.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do they make a 14x1 to 5/8x24? I'm heavily invested in KeyMo and 24x1.5 FSB AK74s, so I haven't paid attention to all the players in the 14x1 game
View Quote

I used the kns adapter and an asr flash hider. The .46 hybrid gives some tolerance wiggle room
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top