BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Suppressed AK Thread (Page 3 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#1]

SLR107UR - Threaded by Morgan at Class 3 machining. Been 4 years, runs great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine’s mostly done.

I’m sure happy to join the suppressed AK club!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Darkamek:
https://i.imgur.com/Q6qG1tl.jpg
View Quote
I want to do this, but with the MB74! Awesome Stick!
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]

I was using a 762SOCOM-Mini on the SLR106FR, but I didn't care much for the mount/being unable to remove the cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
(Moving this over from the other thread)

After another round of testing with Hornady Black 5.45 I had consistently good results. I'm happy to say after putting an 11 degree crown on the barrel (which is threaded about 1.5" past the FSB threads) this rifle has really tightened up. Previously I think it was a 3 MOA rifle at best and averaged maybe 4 or 5 MOA with 7N6 or Wolf commercial on any given day. Pretty typical for an AK105 in my experience
After the 11 degree crown things really got much more consistent. This rifle is shaping up to be a solid 2 MOA average with the Sandman K suppressor and Dead Air KeyMo brake. I recently added the E-Brake and flash hider end cap but haven't seen a massively noticeable improvement, more testing with the E-Brake is required to confirm

Perst 2 is a beast and a damn good laser. The visible green dot is bright enough to see in the Texas sun but you do have to be super careful with the laser on IR. It's insanely powerful. I keep my daylight and IR laser down at the lowest possible brightness for safety's sake but overall I am extremely impressed with the Perst 2. The illuminator is also incredibly powerful, so far it's been good to 500 yards in my testing and has the ability to widen or focus the beam. It also has a diffuser for indoor work and while it's maybe not as refined as the MAWL it's still very effective indoors and has an insane illuminator range outdoors

With Russian Jupiter 3x magnifier and 1P87 red dot

E-Brake and Perst 2

With 1P87 and no magnifier

With REAP-IR and external battery

Now for the fun part, 5 round groups. These were shot at 50 yards using 1P87 red dot and a 3x magnifier with Hornady Black 60gr 5.45x39. There were a few worse groups but not many. If I focus on my trigger work it's going to drop rounds in 1" groups consistently...this AK105 is a shooter and is shaping up to be my most accurate AK74

Look at this...one chicanerous flyer

One fantastic group, .75"

Previous testing

And some 7N6 on an earlier range session. 15 rounds about 1.8 inches with a right leaning POI shift compared to Hornady

Here's a comparison of the Sandman K, K with e-brake and the S

The Skeet-IR weapon mount came in and I confirmed 1P78-1P Kasthan aligns perfectly, same height as an ACOG (Ruskie coincidence?). I did a little impromptu testing of the difference in POI shift between the naked Kashtan and the Skeet-IR. Seems to be about 1 to 1.5 inches to the right at 50 yards when using the Skeet in front of the Kashtan, but the groups also open up due to it being trickier to hold the same POA on thermal. The black squares on the paper targets just don't appear crisply for a fine hold, but that's a non issue for hogs

Definitely need to test more systematically but so far the Skeet is looking good as a clip on

For anyone interested in the details, the rifle is an SGL31-44 with ZenitCo B10u lower handguards, B33 top cover, B19 gas tube cover, an ALG UL trigger, Sandman K with E-Brake + flash hider endcap and the mags are a true black and a bakelight cut down to 20 rounders by Bad Element
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Here’s my latest:
Arsenal SAM7 w/Annihilator optic.
Kestrel AK silencer.

This thing is amazing.

And with the Brown Bear subsonic it cycles just fine and is ridiculously quiet. Super fucking awesome AK.

I can’t wait for my Wolverine stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/16/2019 6:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#12]
KR-9 testing added

Dead Air Wolf 9-SD (long)
Dead Air Wolf 9-SD (short)
Dead Air Ghost-M (Long)
Dead Air Ghost-M (Short)
SilencerCo Omega 9K
AAC Illusion 9

Distance was 50 yards from the bench using a new T2 2moa and a Russian 3x magnifier. POA was the center of the black square for all groups fired. All the suppressors have fixed barrel inserts or 1/2x28 fixed mounts for use on PCCs instead of the pistol mounts with spring/pistons. Weather was about 70f, light wind and clear skies
I had to switch to a RAK-1 trigger because in a previous session the ALG trigger began to double and burst fire

Baseline with no suppressor: I did adjust the T2 to match POI during the first three 5 round groups but there seemed to be a little POI shift again during the second three 5 round groups. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the two sets of groups were close enough I decided to proceed on with the test
Avg 1.8" 50 yards
(For some reason I thought the box said 147gr so that's what I marked the targets )

I usually run this gun with the Wolf 9 in short configuration and that is what has produced the best groups overall with multiple ammo types so far. This set was different, they are actually a little looser than usual. Could be just me getting settled in but I made a note of it anyway
Avg 1.65" 50 yards

The long configuration with subsonics is stupid quiet. I had a few people standing by just to listen because of how remarkable they found it
Avg 1.55" 50 yards

Ghost M Short
Avg 1.61" 50 yards

Ghost M Long did well but had an odd split of really tight and not so tight groups. Best group of the day was .8" though...really impressive
Avg 1.65" 50 yards

The Omega 9k started off really poorly, I'm not sure why it did but then it started throwing down really good groups
Avg 1.63" 50 yards

The Illusion 9 unfortunately grouped the worst of the day. It's extremely normal to have different POI shifts with different suppressors - that was absolutely no surprise. What got me was how far right it was...over 6 inches at 50 yards compared to the baseline of no suppressor. That by itself is no big deal because you'd simply zero for the suppressor and be done with it, but the groups themselves were really loose too. The AAC was so far off in accuracy and POI I stopped shooting after 3 groups but I'll put it back on my G19 where it came from
Avg 3.46" 50 yards ( Side note, I also fired two groups of PDX-1 to verify the Perst 4 green laser was on target. The first group is loose, but look at the second)

For completeness sake I am including the previous defensive ammo testing. These groups were all shot with the Dead Air Wolf 9-SD in short configuration, Russian 1P87 red dot and 3x magnifier
There were no jams or any other issues using hollow point ammo. In fact I don't believe I have had a single malfunction with any ammo of any kind so far using KUSA manufactured magazines

Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P
Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P
Federal 124gr HST
Magtech 147gr subsonic First Defense Bonded

Magtech 147gr subsonic First Defense Bonded
Avg 2.65" 50 yards

Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P
Avg 1.3" 50 yards

Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Avg 1.4" 50 yards

Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P
Avg 1.22" 50 yards

Federal 124gr HST
Avg 1.77" 50 yards
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:20:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InfamousAK] [#13]
Dammit! I knew I shouldn't of checked this thread, there goes my allowance for the rest of the month for guns. @TX-Zen, Sandman S or OSS Helix, which would you go with? I'm itching to pick one up and start the process immediately.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:
Dammit! I knew I shouldn't of checked this thread, there goes my allowance for the rest of the month for guns. @TX-Zen, Sandman S or OSS Helix, which would you go with? I'm itching to pick one up and start the process immediately.
View Quote
No experience with the Helix so I can't comment unfortunately. I do love the Sandman S. It's been solid on my SVD
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
No experience with the Helix so I can't comment unfortunately. I do love the Sandman S. It's been solid on my SVD
View Quote
Thanks for the quick response, Sandman S has been what I've been leaning towards anyhow, unless you know of a better suppressor that I can swap between my AR's and AK106CR in the same price range. Sandman S seems to be the best option for both platforms as I see it, but I'm new to owning suppressors, handled plenty but never owned one myself. New territory for me at least lol
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

Thanks for the quick response, Sandman S has been what I've been leaning towards anyhow, unless you know of a better suppressor that I can swap between my AR's and AK106CR in the same price range. Sandman S seems to be the best option for both platforms as I see it, but I'm new to owning suppressors, handled plenty but never owned one myself. New territory for me at least lol
View Quote
You could use the PBS-1 Wolverine on both, but it'd be direct thread only, and swapping thread adapters isn't as quick and easy as just using Key-Mo mounts on both rifles with a Sandman.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 4:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#17]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
M85NP with griffin taper mount mini brake for my F1 can...do I have to take a pic with the can on?

http://obviouslyoperator.com/files/2018cerakoteM85.JPG
View Quote
@mattyvac
Tell me about your muzzle device setup please
I have a m85 with the 26mm threads and you seem to have found a solution...
@ me

ETA: custom barrel
Mother fuck
What did that cost?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

@mattyvac
Tell me about your muzzle device setup please
I have a m85 with the 26mm threads and you seem to have found a solution...
@ me

ETA: custom barrel
Mother fuck
What did that cost?
View Quote
@bradpierson26

Haha, it was a pain for sure. I had made a post on akfiles back in like 2014 I think when I got the M85 and a guy PM'd me that he was doing a run of M85 profiled barrels in 5.56 so I jumped in on that group buy and landed one. It wasnt made great and had to be re-reamed and re-threaded (not to mention headspaced in the receiver) but it works all said and done. I dont even remember the guys info nor the guy who did the work for me since I dont have presses and etc for AKs, sorry.

The barrel was $120 IIRC and the work to swap it and etc was another $160 or so.

It's nice to have the ability on the M85 to use other muzzle devices but suppressing it kinda sucks. The blowback is crazy and the bolt starts to beat the rear trunnion apart, would be nice to have an adjustable gas block too but that that point a 5.56 Arsenal (or whoever made those all black AKs) seems like a better investment.

Anyone can have a barrel made if you can find a shop that wants to do it, but I assume you'll have to send them your current barrel out of the receiver so they can copy it and it wont be as cheap as mine was.

Fortunately for M92 owners they can machine back the M26 threads and have some barrel left to do 1/2-28 threads. Unfortunately for M85 owners it needs a barrel swap.

IMO if the object is to suppress it, I would go with one of the M26 threaded suppressors they have out now like the Wolverine and just use a .30cal to account for shitty AK tolerances
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Who would you guys recommend to do a barrel cut to 14.5, move FSB back, thread 14x1, and pin/weld a surefire war comp?

Gun in question is a standard WASR-10/63.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheRat:
Who would you guys recommend to do a barrel cut to 14.5, move FSB back, thread 14x1, and pin/weld a surefire war comp?

View Quote
Make sure whoever threads it can do it concentric to the bore. That's the biggest concern.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
I'd send it to In-Range.

Troy is one of the few guru's out there without a ridiculous lead time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polloi] [#22]
2004 Arsenal SAS M7 A1 with Surefire SOCOM 300 SPS. Unfortunately the 24mm threaded FSB was just a bit too out of concentric for me to feel comfortable shooting it. So if you're in the market for a Surefire 24mm RH 7.62 flash hider, I am your guy

Edit: decided to try the suppressor mount again with no timing shims. Looks like we're in business!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#23]
Arsenal 106-ur 5.56
30 round mag for every day and 45 round molot mag for when shit really needs shot up.

Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Arsenal 106-ur 5.56
30 round mag for every day and 45 round molot mag for when shit really needs shot up.

https://i.ibb.co/9bpLNws/Screen-Shot-2019-12-14-at-9-42-50-PM.png
https://i.ibb.co/KWLHv8m/Screen-Shot-2019-12-14-at-9-43-05-PM.png
View Quote
furniture details asap!
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

furniture details asap!
View Quote
It's the standard black plastic from kvar.  I sent it and a few beryl mags off to elevenmile arms in CO for cerakate.  Unless I win the lottery, this is as close as I'm gonna get to green Bakelite.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]

It's the standard black plastic from kvar.  I sent it and a few beryl mags off to elevenmile arms in CO for cerakate.  Unless I win the lottery, this is as close as I'm gonna get to green Bakelite.
View Quote
Well done, that came out really nice
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Arsenal 106-ur 5.56

https://i.ibb.co/9bpLNws/Screen-Shot-2019-12-14-at-9-42-50-PM.png
https://i.ibb.co/KWLHv8m/Screen-Shot-2019-12-14-at-9-43-05-PM.png
View Quote
@giantpune Are you able to take the optic mount off without disassembly? I didn’t think the RS regulate would slide off past the rear sight? I saw you had previously modified a gen 1. But I don’t think I can modify a gen 2 to do the same.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mah827:

@giantpune Are you able to take the optic mount off without disassembly? I didn’t think the RS regulate would slide off past the rear sight? I saw you had previously modified a gen 1. But I don’t think I can modify a gen 2 to do the same.
View Quote
The previous owner on this gun replaced the top cover rivet with a cotter pin.  You can pull that pin and remove the top cover and slide the optic off/on at the same time.  It works, but not a smooth action.  There's a bit of wiggling and working at it because the rs regulate sits so close to the dust cover.
What I came up with is replacing the RS regulate screw.  Rather than the hex head it comes with that gets captured in the lower mount, I snagged a socket head screw.  I lose the tool-free ability, but in return I can take off the optic with an allen wrench and not fight against the peep sight.  So far, I like it better this way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#29]

The previous owner on this gun replaced the top cover rivet with a cotter pin.  You can pull that pin and remove the top cover and slide the optic off/on at the same time.  It works, but not a smooth action.  There's a bit of wiggling and working at it because the rs regulate sits so close to the dust cover.
What I came up with is replacing the RS regulate screw.  Rather than the hex head it comes with that gets captured in the lower mount, I snagged a socket head screw.  I lose the tool-free ability, but in return I can take off the optic with an allen wrench and not fight against the peep sight.  So far, I like it better this way.
View Quote
That’s a great idea. I didn’t think of that. I’m waiting for my form 1 to come back for my SAM7k now. Just trying to work out the optic issue. I really don’t like the rear biased RS mount. It feels too close on a short stock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally got my Form4 back 364 days after I submitted...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I probably asked this before, but I can’t remember.

I want to use my Sandman on my SLR107FR, what’s the best mounting solution?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAC21500] [#32]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
I probably asked this before, but I can’t remember.

I want to use my Sandman on my SLR107FR, what’s the best mounting solution?
View Quote
Either you get this thread adapter in 24x1.5 LH to 5/8x24 RH: https://www.griffinarmament.com/24x1-5mm-suppressor-mount-thread-adapter/

Or you cut the FSB threaded area back and thread the barrel, then mount the Key Mo mount.

Someone here has done that, but I can't find the picture.

It would look like this, except closer to the threads:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MAC21500:

Either you get this thread adapter in 24x1.5 LH to 5/8x24 RH: https://www.griffinarmament.com/24x1-5mm-suppressor-mount-thread-adapter/

Or you cut the FSB threaded area back and thread the barrel, then mount the Key Mo mount.

Someone here has done that, but I can't find the picture.

It would look like this, except closer to the threads:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20190922_134220-1099392.jpg
View Quote
I beleive @ TX-ZEN did this on a couple.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#35]
SAS M7 A1 with Surefire SOCOM 300SPS and KNS adjustable gas piston. Functioned perfectly on its first outing.

Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
She's a hefty bitch...

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Legion SGL21-61 I got 11 years ago for $500

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
View Quote
Long time no see Marine
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
Long time no see Marine
View Quote
I haven't post much since the AK market is kinda dried but I'm still lurking the AK side of the site every now and then . How you been Sir?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

I haven't post much since the AK market is kinda dried but I'm still lurking the AK side of the site every now and then . How you been Sir?
View Quote
Life is pretty good, particularly because of suppressed AKs
If you ever want to swap the FSB on your Tiger and suppress it, LMK
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm late to this thread, but does anyone have the pics from page one talking about the diy adjustable gas setup?

There's probably still pieces of brass in the air from the last time I shot my ak suppressed. Lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
I'm late to this thread, but does anyone have the pics from page one talking about the diy adjustable gas setup?

There's probably still pieces of brass in the air from the last time I shot my ak suppressed. Lol
View Quote
Honestly, at this point, the best DIY adjustable gas setup is to get a KNS piston and install it; it sounds like you're referring to drilling and tapping a hole in your gas block for a set screw, which would probably be the "easiest" truly DIY method.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I was talking about drilling and tapping a hole for a set screw.

I'll look into the kns piston too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uao85] [#44]

View Quote
The cut, pin, weld is what I basically did to a recent home build.

Wasn't bad.  Took the barrel to a local machinist and had him cut and thread 1/2x28 and then perm attached an asr brake.  Of course that was pre build when the barrel was still stripped.  This one got an adjustable gas block, folding stock, and is chambered in 6.5g!!  

Still need to put some paint on the ugly bastid.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bryan_Aim] [#45]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#48]
Adding some AK carnage

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By uao85:

Wasn't bad.  Took the barrel to a local machinist and had him cut and thread 1/2x28 and then perm attached an asr brake.  Of course that was pre build when the barrel was still stripped.  This one got an adjustable gas block, folding stock, and is chambered in 6.5g!!    

https://i.ibb.co/1z1rJrC/20200110-095853.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uao85:

https://i.ibb.co/1z1rJrC/20200110-095853.jpg

Please give details on this build!!
Page / 8
Suppressed AK Thread (Page 3 of 8)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top