Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2021 8:00:51 PM EDT
I just picked-up a new PSA AK74.  I noticed that the firing pin doesn't move freely in the bolt like on my PSA AK 103.  I'm assuming it should?  Should I dis-assemble the bolt and see what's going on?  

I'm assuming this might have been the problem mishaco on youtube was having?

PSA's 5.45x39 AK-74 Rifle Review (We Broke It)
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
call them they will fix it for free
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure PSA would take care of me, but I fixed it my self.  The firing pin was basically rubbing (stuck) on the pin retaining it.  I filed down the firing pin in that area a little and now it moves freely.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#3]
Buddy got one and it shit the bed within the first 2 mags with the same issue.

PSA did replace the part haven’t had a chance to hit the range again.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Buddy got one and it shit the bed within the first 2 mags with the same issue.

PSA did replace the part haven’t had a chance to hit the range again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXZzvYA8AQ
View Quote

It's actually a pretty easy fix.  But whoever is installing these, shouldn't they make sure the firing pin is moving freely before sending these out the door?  Sounds like whoever that person is doesn't know that's suppose to be the case?

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

It's actually a pretty easy fix.  But whoever is installing these, shouldn't they make sure the firing pin is moving freely before sending these out the door?  Sounds like whoever that person is doesn't know that's suppose to be the case?

View Quote

I’m leaning towards a design or metallurgy issue not a assembly issue. The gun ran the first mag just fine it was about 5 or so rounds into the second mag (when I had stopped recording) that it started messing up.

They did fix it we just haven’t had a chance to shoot it agin. Wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again.

Also he has a large AK collection and has 3-4 PSA aks. 2 of them had to be sent back due to issues. I’m a big PSA fan I just hope they can get there shit together and make them reliable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]

I’m leaning towards a design or metallurgy issue not a assembly issue. The gun ran the first mag just fine it was about 5 or so rounds into the second mag (when I had stopped recording) that it started messing up.

They did fix it we just haven’t had a chance to shoot it agin. Wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again.

Also he has a large AK collection and has 3-4 PSA aks. 2 of them had to be sent back due to issues. I’m a big PSA fan I just hope they can get there shit together and make them reliable.
View Quote

I love the fact they're in the game with a ton of offerings, but they seem to be hit & miss.  I wanted a side-folding 74 & they were the only game in town.  Hopefully it runs with all the 69gr ammo I have, as my DDI 74 won't.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

I love the fact they're in the game with a ton of offerings, but they seem to be hit & miss.  I wanted a side-folding 74 & they were the only game in town.  Hopefully it runs with all the 69gr ammo I have, as my DDI 74 won't.
View Quote

I think they will come around. With imports drying up and prices increasing the market for a quality domestically made Aks will be going thru the roof.

Your DDI must be a late production gun. I have a DDI and its been 100% but its a parts kit gun.

Also PSA bought DDI and from what I understand was the base for everything they have done thus far.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#8]

I think they will come around. With imports drying up and prices increasing the market for a quality domestically made Aks will be going thru the roof.

Your DDI must be a late production gun. I have a DDI and its been 100% but its a parts kit gun.

Also PSA bought DDI and from what I understand was the base for everything they have done thus far.
View Quote

My DDI was one of the Classic sold guns around 2016.  What's weird, is the first time I shot it, I put a mag of 69 gr. through it and don't recall any issues.  I took it out last week for the first time in years, & ever other round of 69 was a stuck case? I've got just under 1200 rounds of this stuff, so I hope I can get it to run in something.  But I heard 69 gr ammo is hit and miss in a lot of 74's?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
@PalmettoStateArmory for QC inspection reference material.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PalmettoStateArmory:

If you would like us to take a look at it just to make sure it is 100%, feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

Thanks.  I think I fixed the problem.  I just got back from shooting it, and it ran 100% with 4 different makes of ammo.  My main concern was it working with 69 gr. ammo.  It ran 30 rounds of 69 grain through it flawlessly.  It was also already sighted in.  Apart from a few QC issues (loose stock, front sight post that can probably be turned by hand, & the firing pin issue), it's exactly what I wanted.  I also did an internal inspection after shooting it and didn't find any strange wear issues.  

I'm happy.

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top