Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/10/2021 7:13:19 PM EDT
Target Sports has "Belom" 7.62X39 123gr FMJ ammo with brass case and brass jacket. Belom is made in Serbia in a pretty modern looking factory that claims to manufacture ammo for their Defense Industry. I have never tried any.

Outdoorlimited.com has "Century Red Army Standard non-magnetic FMJ". I assume this ammo has the typical Russian steel casing with copper jacketed bullets.

Naturally prices are PANDEMIC but I bought some to try since they are different from the usual Wolf/Tula etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Just bought 500 rounds of 762x39 Wolf “range safe” non-magnetic from TrueShotGunClub.

Going rate was .48ish cents a round.

I have never heard of your first brand mentioned, but Red Army Standard from what I have seen is good to go!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just bought 500 rounds of 762x39 Wolf “range safe” non-magnetic from TrueShotGunClub.

I have never heard of your first brand mentioned, but Red Army Standard from what I have seen is good to go!
View Quote

Thanks. I've never heard of TrueShotGunClub. I ordered 500 rounds also. It's a better price than the Red Army Standard version that I just bought and I bet it's made at the same factory. I wish I knew more about that bullet and I may have to pull some when it arrives.

I wonder why the brass jacketed stuff is cheaper that the tradition magnetic, steel jacketed stuff? I hope it's because it's not the traditional "Russian standard" that people are used to buying and they are sticking with what they know...rather than some performance issue. Personally, I try to avoid steel jacketed ammo for a variety of reasons and I'm always chasing the most accurate load, even for the AK. Ironically domestic US made brass jacketed ammo usually has much worse accuracy, in my experience, than the steel jacketed foreign stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks. I've never heard of TrueShotGunClub. I ordered 500 rounds also. It's a better price than the Red Army Standard version that I just bought and I bet it's made at the same factory. I wish I knew more about that bullet and I may have to pull some when it arrives.

I wonder why the brass jacketed stuff is cheaper that the tradition magnetic, steel jacketed stuff? I hope it's because it's not the traditional "Russian standard" that people are used to buying and they are sticking with what they know...rather than some performance issue. Personally, I try to avoid steel jacketed ammo for a variety of reasons and I'm always chasing the most accurate load, even for the AK. Ironically domestic US made brass jacketed ammo usually has much worse accuracy, in my experience, than the steel jacketed foreign stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t shoot much x39, I got the ammo for my brother who is need of some. I figured Wolf is good stuff so why not try their non-magnetic ammo. I have shot some of the bi-metal stuff out of a friends SKS and was able to achieve good results. I have never tried any of the brass made stuff (don’t own an AK, brother just bought one). I also highly doubt there will be any performance difference between non-magnetic Wolf and the classic bi-metal Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Update: I got to shoot both the "Red Army Standard Range-Safe" FMJ and the Belom FMJ. The RAS comes with a standard steel case with "Tulammo" on the headstamp and a brass jacketed non-magnetic bullet. The Belom load uses a boxer primed brass case and brass jacketed non-magnetic bullet with cannelure.

The Belom load gave decent groups, including 2.90" at 100 yards (5 shots). The RAS gave me 3.90" as a best. On this day at the range, the Belom was the most consistently accurate. I believe the Belom ammo is a little slower than the RAS since the Belom groups were 2-3" lower on paper at 100 yards. Sorry that I dont have a chrono.  

The best I could do was .50 cpr for the Red Army (plus shipping) and .70 cpr for the Belom. I will buy more of both if $$ and supplies allow.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top