Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/11/2018 11:35:55 AM EDT
So long story short, I ordered a barrel I thought would fit the trunion.  It’s undersized in the trunion.  I already had some machine work done on it, so no returns.  I’m going to try knurling the journal with a tool head on my lathe with a coarse knurl.  Trunion is .907 journal is .875 and I need to gain about .032/.034 for a press fit.  Will I be able to add sufficient diameter?  If this doesn’t work, plan b is weld a few dots around the journal and turn them down to .034 for a press fit.
Thoughts?
I’m already in the cost of the barrel, so I’d prefer to avoid buying a second barrel with oversized journal...
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have a lathe, why not bush it. Bore a hole in some stock to 0.870, press it onto the barrel, then turn to 0.915.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an all barrel knurled to fit a Russian trunion on my first build.  It worked just fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you have a lathe, why not bush it. Bore a hole in some stock to 0.870, press it onto the barrel, then turn to 0.915.
View Quote
Great idea.  I’ll try that before knurling.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top