Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2020 8:22:11 AM EDT
Long story short-

I have three '74 style rifles, along with several thousand rounds of mixed fairly recent production ammo.  I just never seem to get around to shooting them, however shoot the 762 versions quite a bit.  Come to think of it, I've never personally fired any of them.
One is a used Russian SGL 31, the others are both Definitive Arms, one is the "suppressor-ready" model built on a VEPR.

The ammo issue from a few years back scared me pretty bad initially, however there's plenty of Gold Tiger, Wolf, etc still available at less than 556 prices, so even though I missed out on the GOOD/CHEAP crates, its not like ammo is expensive for them.

It seems like now is a good time to sell, and (ASSUMING OF COURSE, PRICES GO DOWN) I'd use the funds to buy AR lowers and/or ammo for AR or 762 AK in the next couple of years.

So, what do you think??
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
i would hold on to them... Things might go major sideways if the feeble mind is elected.

if that happens they will go up in price...

like always buy ammo stack it deep in all calibers

if you want more ar lowers buy them even if its one a month or every other month.. once again stack it deep.. better to have than not..
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sell it all and buy armor/NV
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I just sold my last 5.45 rifle. I had held onto it because it was my favorite, but decided to get out of the caliber completely.  It’s an awesome caliber but the truth is that it too closely overlaps in capability with 5.56, whereas 7.62x39 fills a gap in between 5.56 and .308.  That said I haven’t gotten rid of all of my mags or ammo yet.  I am holding off on getting rid of all of those for two reasons: PSA is supposedly nearly ready to release their 5.45 AKs, and availability of 5.45 mags and ammo is still pretty good.  I think supply will dry up quickly as the election approaches, particularly if PSA gets their 5.45 guns to market soon.  It would be nice to be able to make a reasonable profit vs basically breaking even.  Unfortunately I didn’t get into 5.45 a decade or two ago like some folk, so I can’t undercut the current market and still come out ahead.

Worst case scenario: I sell the mags and build a 5.45 AR upper so I can plink and train with the ammo.  I have a good stockpile of 5.56, but prices have gone so high there that I’d probably break even on a bolt, barrel, and mags within 2000 rounds.  Less if prices don’t settle down soon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any advice for you...but if you have any mil surp 5.45 AK accessories (mags, pouches, oilers, cleaning kits, stripper clips/adapters etc.) I may be interested in helping you get out of the caliber.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Build an AR upper in 5.45 and sell 2 of the 74s now while prices are HIGH. Shoot the ammo til its gone, sell the 74/mags/AR upper and find another caliber to shoot.

I came across a Century M74 on gunbroker, was at $700 when I found it, closed out at $1001 this weekend.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876156873

RedXArms has complete 5.45AR BCGs, barrels are out there if you search around. I just sold a bolt and barrel combo last week that I found in a parts box I forgot I had.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm no way   getting  rid of my AKS-74u, I bought,  figuratively speaking,  a ton of surplus Russian/Ukrainian 5.45 ammo, when the prices of those plummeted down to a ridiculously low price, much lower then what the commercial stuff was going for, per round.

so I'm set for a looooooooooooong time with ammo

availability of foreign imported ammo in the future is what drove me to buy a SAR-3 in 2000 then a SLR-106ur later on.  that caliber wouldn't be subjected to import bans
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
No. 5.45R best round.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
i would sell them. peeps got their stimulus checks and the sgl 31's are going for insane prices for being a $800 rifle. creepy joe gets in and bans all ammo imports and guns. then they wont be worth shit until a USA company starts making reasonable ammo. but creepy joe and the new green deal will make it impossible to make new ammo at a reasonable price for us peons
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you dont shoot and and never think you will, then sell it.  Me, I held off for a long time (I dont like mag / ammo issues)  but got into relatively recently and just made sure to get mags and spam cans.  Love the way it shoots and I can get milspec ammo.  Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a moratorium on selling anything gun related.

Quoted:
i would sell them. peeps got their stimulus checks and the sgl 31's are going for insane prices for being a $800 rifle. creepy joe gets in and bans all ammo imports and guns. then they wont be worth shit until a USA company starts making reasonable ammo. but creepy joe and the new green deal will make it impossible to make new ammo at a reasonable price for us peons
View Quote

Hornady makes several loads in brass and steel case
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks guys.

stuck in analysis paralysis....
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like you should put back in the safe and revisit this in the future.  I doubt they will be imported again, especially under the new adminitration.  Just sayin' ;)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I love shooting my 5.45s but, I'm also a big fan of variety. I think if you're really not going to shoot them much (or at all), now is a great time to make a killer profit and load up on some stuff you do like to shoot. Take them out, put a couple hundred rounds through them, see if you like them. If its a great experience and you end up loving 5.45, thats great. If you your experience shooting them is "take it or leave it", then sell and invest in some stuff you like.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Let me know if you want rid of that 74 built on a Vepr!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the continued input guys.  Just to keep on track, this is not a for sale or “fishing for offers” thread.   Please don’t get me locked!!

Thank you!!
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top