BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 5:25:10 AM EDT
Hey All,

I have a converted Saiga 5.56 AK.

When I go to tighten the AK-74 style break at the end, it has some play to it.

I was curious if there is a washer or shim set available to help tighten up the muzzle break at the lock down point?

Any and All insights & experience is appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No need for a shim. Remove the flash hider and stone or file the end against the sight tower until it stops just as it gets tight. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a 4-piece from ak builder and have this same issue.

I'll try filing it down.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 3" wide coarse stone for this. I stand the brake up and run it back and forth across the stone with some cutting fluid or oil. It cuts across the entire width at the same time unlike a file. If you aren't careful with a file it's easy to take off too much for one side.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not aware of anyone who makes shims, they'd have to be notched for the lock pin

I tried notching some shims when I mounted a slotted brake on my WASR but they broke after the first range trip so I just filed the back down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I really don't want to try to file down the back of the brake.

When I bought it, it was coated to match the rest of the rifle when the Saiga was converted, and if I file it down, I'll lose the finish...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I sanded mine down, took a bit test fitting but I got it locked down snug.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I used a file locked in a vice. I maintained an even pressure on the device as I slid it down the file. After every pass, I turned the device 90 degrees to maintain squareness. Go slow.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the muzzle diameter? You could try an m14 washer(s). 14mm crush washer:  https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=392-999214&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-abq_dzC3gIV0ICfCh3rGwK7EAQYAiABEgILiPD_BwE

or this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-ID-Tight-Fit-Crush-Washer-for-Muzzle-Brake-for-Gunsmithing-14-19mm-OD-/371622548394
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried to shim the first muzzle brake I put on my first AK, I never found anyone who makes 'em.

I tried a DIY shim but the notch pin is the deal breaker, when I cut my shims for the pin they wouldn't stay in place. So I just filed the back of mine down.

I've seen a slant brake held in place with red Loctite after 500 rounds, was still solid, no wobble. After another 500 rounds it'll probably be carbon welded on to the barrel. Told him if he ever has to remove it not to bring it to my shop, I want no part of that.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top