Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 8:36:21 PM EDT
Anyone have a trick for the shepherds hook installation. Messed with it once and it was a bitch years ago, now i bought a replacement plate however there is no way to install it since my safety lever cannot be installed without the disconnector removed. There is some extra crap (steps) on the back side and does not allow the removal of it without the trigger disconnector removed. I assume it has something to do with the full auto that this gun never came with. So cant use the plate and now messing withe the hook again and damn it sucks
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
got it in, guess the Chinese intended 2 people to work on the fcg. Damn near impossible without a second set to hands
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a AK pin plate, be done with the crap of the hooks, e-clips or whatever other BS.

Easy and simple every time...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#4]
As i stated in the original post : bought plate but doesn't fit due to the fact the safety lever has to be installed because the disconnector does not allow it to be installed ie i have to install the trigger group after the safety lever. I like the E-clip idea though that might work well. I never shoot the gun as its a collector but i dont like the hook, and its a weird design hook, googled and didnt see anything like iv got
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...the safety lever has to be installed because the disconnector does not allow it to be installed...
View Quote
Are you sure you're doing it right?  I've not heard of that before.  Are you cocking the trigger back before you install the selector?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
ya im no stranger to working on guns, i would have to grind the safety down in order to get it to clear or replace the disconnector with a different one. I dont feel like grinding on a brand new gun even though i know it should be done to make things easier. Its seen 50 rounds all fired by me during sight in. Unfired when i got it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My mak90 was like that, couldn't remove the safety lever w/o first removing the disconnector.  Short work with a dremel on part of the lever resolved it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya if it was just a mak90 that wasn't special aside from the fact it was chinese i would. However its a rare caught in transit mak that was unfired when i got it, have a matching new bayonet for it. And to date has only seen 50 rounds down the tube. Kind of feel like grinding down isnt what i want to do as it cant be undone. Maybe someday it will get a new owner and they can choose to grind it down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not understand why people feel the need to replace the hook with a plate. After all, like so many people say about the buffer, if the plate was such a great idea, Mr. K would have used it in 1947. While I understand the wire hook can be a problem for the untrained to install, I have NEVER had to remove it with 8 AK's in 17 years. Now the OP is being told to grind on his disconnector? There are small E-clips that can be used to hold the pins in place should it be necessary. One of my AK's came that way, & 12 years later, no problem.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not understand why people feel the need to replace the hook with a plate. After all, like so many people say about the buffer, if the plate was such a great idea, Mr. K would have used it in 1947.
View Quote
The shepherd hook as originally designed for the 1947 model (he did use a plate in the 1946 prototype) is necessary for the function of full auto and it is unnecessary in a semi-auto. Therefore, replacing it with a plate in a semi-auto makes it more convenient, thus adding utility. The buffer (as utilized in AK's not designed with one in mind) is not necessary in any iteration and provides no benefit based on available evidence. Not exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, just to repost for posterity; I'd suspect the OPs shepherds hook is the typical Chinese style as depicted on the bottom of this image :

Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
actually no its the second one down, century original, pain in the ass. I gave up and its going to stay the way it is, i like the eclip idea but dont want to take it apart again its such a pain
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top