Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2020 12:12:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia]
I'm not new to AK builds but I picked up my first MB74. I know I need to install the bullet guide, anything else different about them?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The dust cover for my MB47 had to be worked a little to fit. Otherwise everything else went really well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I finally got around to building this up, if you are familiar with building AKs here are the key differences I found from a stamped kit build that was unique to this gun:

Trigger guard does not use the selector stop. I used rivets and found that I had to make a press plate for the receiver as the press plates that I had for stamped receivers would not fit inside. If I had to do it again, I feel as though button head screws would have worked better, but not been as aesthetically pleasing.
Selector required some fitting due to the extra thickness of the receiver. Just took my time and removed a bit of material with a wheel.
Dust cover required more fitting then on a stamped gun but procedure was the same
Although you can use a standard barrel pin it doesn't look right, next time I'll make a custom one from a piece of dowel rod so that it fills the receiver end to end.
Bullet guide on mine required some fitting but nothing major. If you've never done a Saiga conversion it will be new to you, but it's nothing difficult. I did choose to use a screw here instead of a rivet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 1:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#3]
Attachment Attached File

MB74
USA Made CHF barrel from AK-Builder cut down to 12.5
Definitive Arms Adjustable Gas Block/Front Sight
SLR ION Rail system (Modified to make access to Gas block easier)
Noveske Flaming pig booster
Pistol tube and SB Brace (For now, looking for a better option)
Surplus Pistol grip (plan to upgrade later)
ALG AKT Trigger Group
ALG Hammer Spring
ALG Recoil Spring
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
I finally got around to building this up, if you are familiar with building AKs here are the key differences I found from a stamped kit build that was unique to this gun:

Trigger guard does not use the selector stop. I used rivets and found that I had to make a press plate for the receiver as the press plates that I had for stamped receivers would not fit inside. If I had to do it again, I feel as though button head screws would have worked better, but not been as aesthetically pleasing.
Selector required some fitting due to the extra thickness of the receiver. Just took my time and removed a bit of material with a wheel.
Dust cover required more fitting then on a stamped gun but procedure was the same
Although you can use a standard barrel pin it doesn't look right, next time I'll make a custom one from a piece of dowel rod so that it fills the receiver end to end.
Bullet guide on mine required some fitting but nothing major. If you've never done a Saiga conversion it will be new to you, but it's nothing difficult. I did choose to use a screw here instead of a rivet.
View Quote

Any pic by pic plays on the build? Completely new to Ak builds but looking to pick up a MB47 and MB47-1913. I'm sure I can find vids on youtube, just seeing if you had anything from your build. Did you just piece all the parts and not buy a full out parts kit? I'd like my builds to be completely U.S. made from end to end.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I second this. I’m about to try and run down this rabbit hole! No one seems to have an sharps ak build videos anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By txsandman45:
I second this. I’m about to try and run down this rabbit hole! No one seems to have an sharps ak build videos anywhere.
View Quote

There's really no need to have a Sharps specific build video since it's the same as a milled AK build minus riveting a lower tang in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool.  I really like what Sharps did with this receiver.  Seems like a top notch base if you put some time into it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top