Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2020 8:27:19 PM EDT
I have purchased a 11” South African Sar barrel. My question is will a Israeli galil Sar kit work with this barrel??
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  You will have to check and possible shim for correct head space.

18Z50
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  You will have to check and possible shim for correct head space.

18Z50
View Quote

Oh.. ummm! I think I’ll have to do some more reseach on this shim for correct headspacing???
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh.. ummm! I think I’ll have to do some more reseach on this shim for correct headspacing???
View Quote

I believe he is indicating that as the Galil is a threaded barrel assembly and assuming you have a barrel that has a gas block and was timed to another receiver/gun: there is an assumption that in order to time the gas block and headspace (e.g. screw in the barrel to the correct spec to mate the bolt with a round) in a new receiver.  therefore  you might have to use shims to time the gas/sight block so that its aligned correctly and headspaced.  

If you randomly mate a mismatch AK threaded barrel and virgin receiver, almost certainly you won't luck out and have it align sights - That is if you randomly screw it in and headspace it,  Your gas/sight block might be canted in any direction.  You can trim a shoulder on the threads and shim etc.  Another trick is you can remove the block - re align and drill another hole - but then you have an extra hole under the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I’m wrong here correct me if a I am but isn't the gas tube a different length as well? Its the reason I went with a 13” barrel instead of the 11” one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe I’m wrong here correct me if a I am but isn't the gas tube a different length as well? Its the reason I went with a 13” barrel instead of the 11” one.
View Quote

That was my concern as well. Does anyone have an answer to this question?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was my concern as well. Does anyone have an answer to this question?
View Quote

Anyone????
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is a virgin barrel, you could make your gas port location match your parts, although someone posted in another thread that they had to take back the shoulder of the gas block journal area on their barrel a few fractions of an inch in order to fit their gas block properly (not a huge task if you already have someone drilling your gas port and cutting your extractor relief cut).

If you really want an 11" barrel, don't be surprised if you have to be extra thoughtful to get those measurements correct (you would have the FH and gas block very close to one another).

SBRs are cool and all but that thing is going to be a BLASTER.

ETA: to my knowledge, there are only two gas tube/gas piston lengths (three if you count Micro/MAR but that is a whole different animal), and the only difference between R5 and R6 is that the gas block/flash hider are those 2 inches closer together. I could be wrong, but reasonably sure?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it is a virgin barrel, you could make your gas port location match your parts, although someone posted in another thread that they had to take back the shoulder of the gas block journal area on their barrel a few fractions of an inch in order to fit their gas block properly (not a huge task if you already have someone drilling your gas port and cutting your extractor relief cut).

If you really want an 11" barrel, don't be surprised if you have to be extra thoughtful to get those measurements correct (you would have the FH and gas block very close to one another).

SBRs are cool and all but that thing is going to be a BLASTER.

ETA: to my knowledge, there are only two gas tube/gas piston lengths (three if you count Micro/MAR but that is a whole different animal), and the only difference between R5 and R6 is that the gas block/flash hider are those 2 inches closer together. I could be wrong, but reasonably sure?
View Quote

The Barrel has been populated already and has the gas port already drilled for the the gas block. So does that make a difference of the Sar kit will work or not?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Barrel has been populated already and has the gas port already drilled for the the gas block. So does that make a difference of the Sar kit will work or not?
View Quote

Only in so far as the barrel indexing properly to the receiver, as mentioned above, AFAIK. It's going to be fidgety.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, gas tube and piston are shorter.  You can cut the SAR tube.  CNC Warrior used to have US made R6 length pistons.

Also , you need the SAR gas block without the integrated bayo lug.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ty guys for all the help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
A South African R6 is my next project.  

Where did you find an R6 barrel???  Any chance you can post a photo of it?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I did not. The seller never had the barrel.  I had to get my money back. I ended up getting a 13” barrel from Apex when they were available.
Attachment Attached File

@60-Driver. If need the short piston for the R6 let me know I have one if you want it no charge.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Well that sucks, sorry to hear.  I was hoping you found a true unicorn barrel!  I'm still waiting for the Apex barrels to come back in stock.

Sent you an IM regarding the piston.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top