Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2022 7:55:28 PM EDT
I have some AK mags that seem to have sharp feed lips. Would it be a good idea to make them a little less sharp with sand paper?

Which sand paper should I acquire for that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jschmidt] [#1]
If the lip is underneath, yes. I also used this to fix two promag mags. It'll help whenever rounds are sticking. So it works for every kind of mag. I used a metal scraper, but probably 600 grit is fine.

But if there is not a feed problem, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cressida] [#2]
Use a medium India stone, they are cheap, and available in several sizes & shapes from any machine shop supply, like MSC, and McMaster-Carr.
I have a good selection of 4" & 6" long, 1/4" through 1" cross section stones in round, square, and triangular shaped.
Don't drop them, and keep them oiled, and they will last decades. Some of mine date back to the '70s.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
@Cressida
@dryflash3

Do you gentlemen think I should not sand the feed lips if I don't have any feeding issues with these particular mags?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if the lips are not chewing up your brass, the only benefit to dulling the lips is to keep from chewing up your fingers when loading.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
In close to 40 years of owning AKs and dozens of different mags, I've never felt the need to do this. I don't think it would hurt anything to ease the edges a little bit if you feel the need though. Aside from not scratching your brass when it feeds (is this even a concern?) I'm not sure what real benefit there is in doing this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I reload my Berdan steel and brass cases, so if I can limit the abuse on the cases, it's a positive for me.

Don't reload, I gotta agree with you.
View Quote

I don't recall any of my x39 brass getting noticeably scratched back when I was reloading this caliber. Perhaps i was fortunate that the Hungarian and EG mags I was using didn't have burrs on the feed lips. I lost more brass out in the weeds than from damage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cressida:
Well, if the lips are not chewing up your brass, the only benefit to dulling the lips is to keep from chewing up your fingers when loading.
View Quote

It would be more likely to cut you when unloading a mag which may be a rare occurrence but is sometimes necessary.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:

It would be more likely to cut you when unloading a mag which may be a rare occurrence but is sometimes necessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Originally Posted By Cressida:

Its the KCI ones that are very sharp. I'll probably just file a small or very small amount.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top