Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 2:29:30 PM EDT
Hi folks,

Attachment Attached File

I'm looking to get into building AKs, and decided to start with the hardest thing I could think of. I recently found an unconverted Saiga for a steal at a local shop, and a Bulgarian triangle side folding stock with all hardware/trunion for a great price. I hope to turn this into an "Alpha AK"/AK104 inspired rifle, subbing out the standard gas block with an adjustable gas block and having the barrel directly threaded for a suppressor. I have a few questions about the demil/rebuild process.

1) I am going to buy a press in order to crush rivets and remove the barrel. However, I'd like to avoid removing the front trunion if possible. Can a barrel be pressed out of a complete receiver without removing the front trunion?

2) I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the rivets for the side folding trunion. There are four short rivets and one long rivet. I intend to use a press and fabricate backing plates to crush the long rivet. I figure one set of short rivets can be crushed using a bolt cutter based tool. But what about the pair of rivets closet to the bottom of the receiver? Can a bolt cutter riveter be made to work, or is the expensive akbuilder rivet tool the only option for those?

3) I anticipate needing a drill press to drill the third stock trunion hole, the stock latch and the gas block. I also am thinking of doing a milled 80% to build a type 3 AK47 for my next build, which will need all holes drilled. Will a $200-$300 bench top drill press from home depot be sufficient, or should I get something better?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:57:44 PM EDT
build class at rifle dynamics will  show you how to use the rivit jigs?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:34:25 PM EDT
I guess my question is, are the jaws on the toth tool bolt cutter rivet jigs long enough to rivet the lower rivets on a side folder trunion?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:06:19 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I guess my question is, are the jaws on the toth tool bolt cutter rivet jigs long enough to rivet the lower rivets on a side folder trunion?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:52:18 PM EDT
I used Toth tools barrel populating tool for the front end of mine, only had a harbor freight bench top drill press and 6 ton bench top press to do the rear conversion. Had to make a bucking bar and rigged up a way to crush the rivets I couldn’t reach with bolt cutter tool.
I used the Childers guides for drilling the correct holes and cutouts also

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:26:08 PM EDT
Interesting, didnt know about those. I bought a side folder receiver flat for use as a guide. I may build it out next.
Top Top