Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 7:19:20 PM EDT
Hey guys. I’m admittedly a bit of a newbie when it comes to AK’s.  

Well, I did a real dumb thing when reassembling my Saiga after cleaning.  I reinstalled the carrier and like a dope I forgot to install the bolt along with it!

Guess what I did next?  Yep, like an idiot I dry fired it, not once but maybe 3 times.  Then I looked at the bench saw the bolt and said, “ oh poop”.

My obvious question, could I have damaged anything?  Yes, I know it’s a quasi AK being a Saiga and you can use them as a pogo stick etc.

At first it appeared the hammer hit the back of the carrier.  Upon further inspection it looks like the hammer may have been stopped by a cross pin in the receiver.  Outside of a thin horizontal mark on the pin, I don’t see much.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle is fine
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
No different than occasionally dropping the hammer on an AR that is apart.  I wouldn't give it another thought.  David
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reassurance.  After I did it I was like WTF dude?

I know I'm probably using the wrong terminology but what is the cross pin through the receiver for?  I couldn't identify it's purpose.  

I don't see it having a function of retaining anything.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It's simply a reinforcement to the center of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahh thank you sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
No worries, OP!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top