Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/27/2021 8:34:06 PM EDT
Before the range trip yesterday I hand cycled my SVT40 and discovered the bolt carrier was going back only about half way and could not pull it further by hand.  Hard stop like hitting something, not a mushy out of alignment stop (if that makes sense).   Maybe this was a bad idea but with the rifle aiming down I rested the bolt handle on my work bench and gave it a pretty substantial push and got it to open normally.  Hand cycled normally a few times, pulled the trigger, all seemed well.

Got to the range, charged a round into the chamber, pulled the trigger, CLICK, nothing, several times .  No mark on the primer.  The hammer hitting the rear of the bolt sounded/felt/seemed normal.  Quick field strip revealed nothing.  The firing pin is sitting in its hole flush with the bolt head.  Nothing rattling or loose.   I suppose I should take apart the bolt?  Never done that.  Can probably find a video on line.

Any suggestions?  Ideas?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What can I use to see/test if the firing pin is deploying into a primer w/o a live round. A pieces of thin tape on the back of a spent round?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What can I use to see/test if the firing pin is deploying into a primer w/o a live round. A pieces of thin tape on the back of a spent round?
View Quote

That would work or fill the cavity with glue or putty.  If primer is reaching fill depth, it will indent the area you filled.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Or just remove the bolt and you should be able to manipulate the firing pin and see if it's ok or not.

You need to figure out what stopped the bolt group from moving aft.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.  Look forward to taking it down this weekend. Will advise.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well this sucks.  Any repairing this?

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the firing pin right?
You just need a new one.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/svt-40-firing-pin-and-spring-gd.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep.  Found a firing pin + spring on Apex $37.42 (tax + shipping).  Might be the most expensive firing pin I've ever encountered .

Getting the cross pin out is a bitch.  Hope I can get it back in.  Special tools ?  

Course I realize now that forcing the bolt open is probably what broke it UNLESS it was already broken.  Wondering what caused.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top